KS14C Tilt Forward in rain

codersarepeople

Hi all,

I had my first major fall today on an EUC.  I was riding in the rain at about 15 mph and felt the EUC tilt forward too much, as I've felt before.  Usually I don't think much of it but today it was too intense and I was thrown forward.  I managed to run off most of the speed, I think I got 3 steps before hitting the ground.  I tore up my pants/long underwear but I'm mostly unhurt.  Also the back of the shell is now uneven with itself, as one of the screws ripped through plastic.  I might consider replacing the shell eventually but it's still rideable.RAxz6n7.jpg

My question is, has anybody else experienced this forward tilt while riding in the rain? Any idea what causes it? At first I thought maybe water was getting in the front of the pedals and that weight was pulling me forward.  Another theory is my feet just slowly slip forward, but that was discounted as I still felt the effect even when riding on the back of the pedals on the way home.

I've never experienced any kind of forward tilting, regardless of speed. And I regularly ride mine above 15 mph. However, I've never ridden it in the rain (never rains here), Your wheel is calibrated? Or perhaps it needs a new calibration for level?

@Marty Backe Hmm I can't figure out how to calibrate it exactly.  The instructions are a bit ambiguous, do you have a link? I tried but it didn't seem to fix much.

After reading this thread I'm beginning to think maybe it was a combination of slippery pedals and  me attempt to turn at high speed, which caused the pedals to move forward a bit...I wish I could simply set the pedals to be back further like Gotway or Inmotion allows.

2 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

@Marty Backe Hmm I can't figure out how to calibrate it exactly.  The instructions are a bit ambiguous, do you have a link? I tried but it didn't seem to fix much.

After reading this thread I'm beginning to think maybe it was a combination of slippery pedals and  me attempt to turn at high speed, which caused the pedals to move forward a bit...I wish I could simply set the pedals to be back further like Gotway or Inmotion allows.

Oh, I didn't know you were in a turn too. That can certainly lower the pedals.

When you calibrate you can make the pedals level, lean back, or forward. Calibration is performed just like the Gotway. Checkout @Duf's calibration video, it may help you. 

10 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

My question is, has anybody else experienced this forward tilt while riding in the rain? Any idea what causes it? At first I thought maybe water was getting in the front of the pedals and that weight was pulling me forward.  Another theory is my feet just slowly slip forward, but that was discounted as I still felt the effect even when riding on the back of the pedals on the way home.

Maybe you got some moist/rain on the motherboard which caused some malfunction?

I had once a replacement motherboard for my KS16 which unmotivated tilted forward while riding. Especially while turning - there it tilted forward until cut-off. I don't know what the exact reason was, just that the motherboard was faulty and with a new replacement board everything was ok again...

Is yours still tilting forward, or was it just at this ride while raining?

Simple - pavement was wet, tyre slipped and the wheel couldnt keep you upright. Yu must have accelerated a bit right before this happened, or went over pavement too smooth/ slippery.

One broken screw on the casing is fine, one of mine is broken also in the same location.

12 hours ago, Chriull said:

Is yours still tilting forward, or was it just at this ride while raining?

I'm not sure; I think it's okay because I can still ride it but I'm dealing with a bit of PTSD from the fall...and this rain storm is a several day event, so I'm waiting until it's over to really ride again.  In the mean time, I've ordered some grip tape to put on the pedals.

6 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

<snip> In the mean time, I've ordered some grip tape to put on the pedals.

I wonder if anyone has tried installing bicycle toe straps on a wheel?

20 hours ago, Cloud said:

pavement was wet, tyre slipped and the wheel couldnt keep you upright. You must have accelerated a bit right before this happened, or went over pavement too smooth/ slippery.

I don't hesitate to ride my IPS 121 and 191 (Lhotz) in the rain, but I ride very cautiously, slowly and gently. The last few nights as I was riding after work, conditions were very wet with a heavy layer of wet leaves. I was very impressed by the stability of the Lhotz in this slippery environment.

I would check to see if the motherboard is getting wet.   Unless you're wearing German ww2 hob nailed boots, you would know if your feet were too far forward on a ks14; those pedals are so short, the balls of your feet would be swinging out there in the breeze, and you'd feel it, I do. Or do you have tiny feet? Don't laugh, I knew a guy who was 6'2" and had size 8 feet. ( for you euro types, someone that tall would be size 10.5 and bigger.)

When I replaced my beeper (ks14c) (see post) I observed that the gasket for the side panels is rather thin, and didn't like to stay in its grove.  The mother board is RIGHT THERE under the top edge of the side panels.  As I said in that post, I wouldn't ride in the rain without putting some tape over that top edge.  Ride in the rain! you must be mad man! Oh, commuting, I see.

you might want to take your side panels off and have a look for traces of moisture.  If so, my post shows an easy, non-destructive way of doing it. Disclaimer, your risk once you go in there, high currents, high voltage, etc.

can't discount @Cloud theory about slipping, but you were there and we weren't.

@nomad HEAVY RAIN indeed! Maybe it rains heavy water (H2O2 is it?)  in New Jersey 

as for level calibration on ks14c, I stated in my first gremlin thread that I had discovered the correct way.  I was surprised no one asked how, then.  But since you ask now, I'll create a thread in the Mods, repairs, DIY ( oh look another TLA) section, or what ever it's called.  I'll call it something catchy like. KS14c, Level Calibration, the correct way.

Thanks for your reply! I don't think the mobo is getting wet because a slight lean forward doesn't seem like a likely symptom from that issue.

I've been riding around inside since the accident trying to figure out if it's truly tiled forward or if it's just my mind. The rain is supposed to finally stop tomorrow before work so I'll commute tomorrow morning and have a chance to determine if it is behaving poorly.

Thanks for your post on calibration I'll try that out tomorrow as well. I think I'd like the pedals to be calibrated a bit up.

Well I rode to work this morning but it seemed tilted forward the whole time.  I'm usually pushing 20 mph the whole trip but today I was down around 15 because my feet were so far back on the pedals.  It's possible that it's all mental but I'm going to try calibration when I get home later.

It almost feels like what @Cloud said in the other thread "This is basically how its supposed to be with KS14. When you accelerate the nose dives softly, then straightens out." is not happening for me; The nose is diving softly but not straightening out very much.

14 minutes ago, codersarepeople said:

Well I rode to work this morning but it seemed tilted forward the whole time.  I'm usually pushing 20 mph the whole trip but today I was down around 15 because my feet were so far back on the pedals.  It's possible that it's all mental but I'm going to try calibration when I get home later.

You also can try turning your wheel around. If its then tilted backwards its a calibration issue. If its still tilted forward its some fault or mental ?

So I've been riding around today and I'm convinced it's not mental, my pedals are tilted down. A level app on my phone is showing me  that the ks is staying level when I'm not on it.

It feels like I'm about to fall forward when I ride. Any idea where to go from here? Is it the CB or mechanical? I tried riding backwards and it didn't fix the issue...

Another perhaps silly question; what mode do you have the wheel set to? There are three, and the third level (can't recall it's exact name) is 'firm', in that the pedals keep level regardless of the pressure applied. The first level is very 'soft', where the pedals will point down when accelerating and point back when breaking. I think the wheel ships with the first level set.

Hmm I have it set to ride which I think is the default. I'll try out the others tomorrow. I'm also meeting a friend who has ridden it tomorrow for him to confirm that it's not just in my head. Riding my v5f+ in the meantime because I'm scared I'll get bucked and I still have scrapes on my arms and legs from the first fall.

29 minutes ago, codersarepeople said:

Hmm I have it set to ride which I think is the default. I'll try out the others tomorrow. I'm also meeting a friend who has ridden it tomorrow for him to confirm that it's not just in my head. Riding my v5f+ in the meantime because I'm scared I'll get bucked and I still have scrapes on my arms and legs from the first fall.

I bet the problem is the mode since Ride is the 'soft' setting. Use Play mode and your problem will go away. Good luck.

P.s.  The soft mode setting is probably not a problem until you push the speed towards max, which it sounds like you do. I bet if you ride at 10 mph the forward tilt is much less noticeable. I ride all my wheels at the 'hard' setting.

Could it be that you were used to always accelerate into tilback speed level? Now naturally after a fall you're going slower and maybe not reaching tiltback zone at all. Then the wheel won't be pushing back up as normal. If you're used to cruising where the tiltback begins that would explain why it feels like the pedals are tipping forward all the time and responding softer.

13 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

It almost feels like what @Cloud said in the other thread "This is basically how its supposed to be with KS14. When you accelerate the nose dives softly, then straightens out." is not happening for me; The nose is diving softly but not straightening out very much.

Where in NJ are you? Ever come to nyc? Lets meet up and figure out whats happening with your wheel

@Cloud That would be great.  I live in Princeton, but I would definitely meet up in NYC. Is there a NYC ride at some point? (Also, any idea if EUCs are allowed on NJTransit?)

@nomad I don't think that's the case, because I've felt true tiltback on my Ninebot E+ and my V5f+ but not on my king song.  I suppose it could be, but I'm pretty careful to back off the second I hear beeping at 30 kmph.

All this tilt forward talk.  today I rode a very rough path and it really felt like my feet were tilted forward from horizontal. Speed varied form v. Slow to about 12kmh.  Any faster and the constant pounding was vibrating my feet forward off the pedals, because of the constant forward lean.  And no, this didn't result in the forward lean, otherwise I'd be going faster and faster, and we all know where that leads.. FP.

I'm beginning to suspect there is an element of "drift" when it comes to "level calibration". Tomorrow I'm going to follow my own recalibration instructions and start with a tiny rearward tilt.  I'll report my findings.

5 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

@Cloud That would be great.  I live in Princeton, but I would definitely meet up in NYC. Is there a NYC ride at some point? (Also, any idea if EUCs are allowed on NJTransit?)

@nomad I don't think that's the case, because I've felt true tiltback on my Ninebot E+ and my V5f+ but not on my king song.  I suppose it could be, but I'm pretty careful to back off the second I hear beeping at 30 kmph.

I dont think you would have any issues on nj transit with a ks14

Archived