What should we call these things (EUC)

Adel

I nominate 'WMD" for Wearable Mobility Device. I'm seriously serious. :efee612b4b:

EUCs are extensions of our bodies in a way that no other terminology for transportation equipment can acurately describe. As long as we accept descriptors like "motor vehicle" or "motorized conveyance" we will be miscategorized – and restricted/regulated – like other transport means.

I suggest we toss all the old-school terms and comparisons with fading technologies and embrace the sci-fi appeal, because that is why everyone else really thinks EUCs are really cool. :efee6b18f3:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, litewave said:

I nominate 'WMD" for Wearable Mobility Device. I'm seriously serious. :efee612b4b:

EUCs are extensions of our bodies in a way that no other terminology for transportation equipment can acurately describe. As long as we accept descriptors like "motor vehicle" or "motorized conveyance" we will be miscategorized – and restricted/regulated – like other transport means.

I suggest we toss all the old-school terms and comparisons with fading technologies and embrace the sci-fi appeal, because that is why everyone else really thinks EUCs are really cool. :efee6b18f3:

“WMD” won’t raise any restriction flags for sure.

1 minute ago, Daniel Burkemper said:

“WMD” won’t raise any restriction flags for sure.

It was obvious sarcasm and a reference to old-school tech. Three-letter acronyms (like EUC, W...D, etc.) are subliminally connected with military (weapons) systems.

Time to move on and change the way we think and talk about them.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Like a crappy computer from Walmart? :D

BBEA9244-73FC-42ED-9AB5-552A0AC978B2.jpe

PRECISELY! You got it! They aren't in business anymore so who cares if we steal their name!
LOL
But yeah. It makes sense to me though. Also, @kasenutty are you gonna be joining us on this Lincoln Park trip tomorrow night?

I’d like to and will if I can. I actually live up in Lynnwood, so I’m a little ways away, and sometimes by that time of night I’ve had a little too much weed to drive real good.

Ive actually been riding up north here with the friend I made on my kingsong app a bit and it’s been so much fun. I’d like to do more group rides for sure.

8 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I’d like to and will if I can. I actually live up in Lynnwood, so I’m a little ways away, and sometimes by that time of night I’ve had a little too much weed to drive real good.

Ive actually been riding up north here with the friend I made on my kingsong app a bit and it’s been so much fun. I’d like to do more group rides for sure.

I see. So what you are trying to say is that we need to bribe you?

10 minutes ago, maxkan said:

People are asking you what are you riding because you behave like the one who wanted to be asked. Just behave like you usually do while walking and almost no one would ask.

I don't agree with this logic. They ask because they don't know. It's not like I ask people questions I know the answer to. 

9 minutes ago, Esper said:

I don't agree with this logic. They ask because they don't know. It's not like I ask people questions I know the answer to. 

Yeah they don't know but most of them wouldn't ask unless you look approachable and like the one who would gladly answer and craving for attention. Thats an extreme case just to illustrate the idea

16 minutes ago, maxkan said:

Yeah they don't know but most of them wouldn't ask unless you look approachable and like the one who would gladly answer and craving for attention. Thats an extreme case just to illustrate the idea

? Huh? Why would one want to look like someone unapproachable? That is exactly the way one should strive to appear: friendly, courteous and just another person sharing the bike lanes or sidewalks and not a jerk.

I must be that guy because lots of people ask me what it is.  :w00t2:  I even had two women suddenly stop me wanting to know more about it.  :efee6b18f3:  Which by the way is a little disconcerting when they are both looking down between my legs.  :innocent1:

Then again people always ask me where the washroom is located when I’m in a department store or constantly think I work there so they ask me about products and stuff.  :blink:

I must have that “he knows” look about me or something.  One guy at Canadian Tire asked me where he could find a replacement gasket for a specific pressure cooker relief valve.  :efefb6a84e:  That’s getting pretty specific.  I should have said look in isle 34 next to the washrooms.  :whistling:

7 minutes ago, Jerome said:

? Huh? Why would one want to look like someone unapproachable? That is exactly the way one should strive to appear: friendly, courteous and just another person sharing the bike lanes or sidewalks and not a jerk.

You may look like just another person sharing the bike lanes or sidewalks and not a jerk, and also minding your own business and commuting to your destination.

11 minutes ago, maxkan said:

You may look like just another person sharing the bike lanes or sidewalks and not a jerk, and also minding your own business and commuting to your destination.

:efefb6a84e: Okay. Have a nice day.

Is a wheel. Plain and simple a WHEEL. Most of the designs except for a few kingsongs and a few frankenstien monster gotways, look exactly like a wheel. Why complicate things? Its an electric wheel. 

Kid -  Mom can I take the car to 7-11?

Mom-  No, you’ll only go joyriding and you wont fill the gas tank. Take the wheel its all charged up.

write out any of those other names in that dialog and see if any of them fit as well.

I vote for WHEEL 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 12:29 PM, litewave said:

It was obvious sarcasm and a reference to old-school tech. Three-letter acronyms (like EUC, W...D, etc.) are subliminally connected with military (weapons) systems.

Time to move on and change the way we think and talk about them.

Right! We need to think of them as „eHorses“, ‘cause that’s what they are! 

For some elderly folks over at my small state, who thinks I can defy gravity I just say... it's one wheeled bicycle... for others.. unicycle .___.

But I have to vote for the time machine! ^^

Archived