What should we call these things (EUC)

Adel

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone on the street asks me, I tell them "Electric Unicycle, or EUC".

If I'm telling my wife I'm going out, I say "scooter".

If I'm talking to someone official, I plan on using "Personal Electric Vehicle".I DID notice recently some signage at a local strip mall posting "NO SKATEBOARDS, NO MOPEDS, NO MOTOR SCOOTERS", so they are starting to catch on to the general alt-vehicle stuff.

3 hours ago, xafofo said:

電動獨輪車

can you translate these characters individually for us? I have no idea where to begin to understand them.  I'm trying to see electric, no.  Vehicle, no.  Honestly, I'm amazed.

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

can you translate these characters individually for us? I have no idea where to begin to understand them.  I'm trying to see electric, no.  Vehicle, no.  Honestly, I'm amazed.

Maybe the five characters are syllables.  E lec tric uni cycle  I have no idea how to read Chinese.:roflmao:

7 hours ago, kasenutty said:

If someone asks me I just say "It's a wheel"

Yes! It's just a wheel... 

Nothing complicated or difficult, just a simple wheel - something everyone could learn to ride. 

19 hours ago, Smoother said:

電 = electric, electricity

動 = to move

獨 = single, independent

輪 = wheel

車 = car, vehicle

so basically electric-moved single-wheel vehicle

16 minutes ago, xafofo said:

動 = to move

獨 = single, independent

輪 = wheel

車 = car, vehicle

It's interesting that the character for "wheel" has no curved lines. :wacko: If I was born in China you'd have to lock me up in the "house of the stupid" because I don't think I could learn a character-based language.

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

It's interesting that the character for "wheel" has no curved lines. :wacko: If I was born in China you'd have to lock me up in the "house of the stupid" because I don't think I could learn a character-based language.

if you look closely you'll see the "car/vehicle" character 車 in the "wheel" character 輪 on the left side. which means they combined and the meaning/category of 車  with the character 侖 (for phonetics) to get 輪. so it's not actually derived from it's own pictograph

seems like they're having the same debate as we are except in chinese :D

電動獨輪車  = EUC

電動平衡車 = electric balance vehicle (hoverboard?)

also there are often differences in vocabulary between taiwan and mainland china, so this might be a case of that

50 minutes ago, xafofo said:

if you look closely you'll see the "car/vehicle" character 車 in the "wheel" character 輪 on the left side. which means they combined and the meaning/category of 車  with the character 侖 (for phonetics) to get 輪. so it's not actually derived from it's own pictograph

So man's earliest invention (probably invented in China) had to wait for the invention of the car/vehicle in order to get a character? :blink1: and not even its own character!:huh:  And I just THOUGHT I was confused earlier.  Hey but I get it; If you're taught something from young, it's absolutely normal to you.

10 minutes ago, Smoother said:

So man's earliest invention (probably invented in China) had to wait for the invention of the car/vehicle in order to get a character? :blink1: and not even its own character!:huh:  And I just THOUGHT I was confused earlier.  Hey but I get it; If you're taught something from young, it's absolutely normal to you.

i'd guess that there was probably an old archaic character for wheel that we don't use anymore. my chinese knowledge is'nt that good, so i have no idea what it is :lol:

On 12/20/2017 at 2:47 PM, duaner said:

I like "e-wheel". 

Jason McNeil liked this; (one guess why). ;)

I think 'mogo' could work... Short for motor-gyro (or maybe mono-gyro).

(When you think about it, this makes as much sense as  ...*-cycle.)

13 hours ago, xafofo said:

動 = to move

獨 = single, independent

輪 = wheel

車 = car, vehicle

So, an electric wheelbarrow then? 

• 6 months later...

I feel like motorcycle is a proper term for it. It is a motorized wheel. I also like @Sketch's version. Monocycle. My friend calls it a Unicle. I refer to it a 'my Wheel' but it can get confusing. EUC is popular as it means electric unicycle. For evolutionary terms, I think cycle should be the suffix as its the same suffix on all modern day variations.

Motorotam is my idea. It is fun to say. moto- from Motor, rotam meaning wheel. 

I always just say it is a Segway or one-wheeled Segway. Then again, I’m a Ninebot fanboy, so I CAN say that. Lol. People always seem to understand after that, and I’m not lying. Honestly it is easier to say than “Ninebot” and everyone asks, “Is it the number ‘9’?”.... No. 

With people who already know I unicycle, I just call it “my wheel”.

I am trying to break the nerd stereotype of EUC (because somehow people think it is nerdy??), so I try to avoid use of the word “unicycle” unless I am feeling trollish and hoping for a weird reaction. 

Archived