What should we call these things (EUC)

Adel

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electric UniCycle, EUC, works just fine coming from a unicyclist, btw, no need to say pedal as is implied and understood.

Wikipedia,

"A unicycle is a vehicle that touches the ground with only one wheel."

We just add electricity, hence E U C!

Although Wiki calls it "self balancing unicycle" which it is!

Maybe someone should update them as to what most of us think, E U C!

Therefore most descriptive would have to be Self Balancing Electric Unicycle, S B E U. But that sucks!

NOT,

hoverwheel, glide wheel, gyrowheel, E W T, monocycle and worst gyro scooter!

Do a quick Wiki search to see why!

Although kinda like Euni for short, but still means E U C!

Hover board is COMPLETELY wrong BTW! But do we even care?

ukj

We could just say what the brand name is, like "it's a Ninebot", or "it's a Kingsong, Gotway, IPS, Rockwheel, Firewheel, Airwheel, Solowheel or whatever wheel you have.  To me, they are all pretty cool names.

Or we could get specific and say what model, like "it's a Gotway MSuper V3.  That is one of the most badass names around:clap3:

On 30 November 2016 at 8:43 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Unless you fall at high speed, at just the wrong angle, and the trolley handle catches you just so...

WTF LOL OMG, Even before this subject (eunuch-Ifiction) . I have wondered about that, oh so square, and oh so hard, add on trolley handle catching me in the gonads during a fall, or the back of the head, or the back of the legs, or....

On 30 November 2016 at 11:38 AM, pArmitage said:

I use 'Yuuke', as in 'EUC' pronounced as its own word.

The Star Wars AT-AT is often pronounced either as 'A T A T' or 'Att-Att', even in canon.  BTW can be 'Bee-Tee-Dubs', OMG can be 'ohmaguh', LOL can be 'lawl', and I know at least one person who refers to the FBI as 'Phoebe'.  I can also see the CIA being referred to as 'See ya', since if they ever come knocking, you'll likely never be seen again.

I had to give you a rep for this even though you put down some of my points, "Phoebe", "See ya" .  Too good.  But "ohmaguh" ? I can't see it. And Bee-tee--dubs, is still just three letters pronounced, albeit with the last one abbrvd. Just sayin ?

On 30 November 2016 at 0:06 PM, John Eucist said:

Granted that the below are more than three letters, but they are also spoken as a "word":

• RADAR - Radio detecting and ranging
  • LASER - Light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.
  • NATO - The North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
  • UNICEF - The United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund.
  • SCUBA - Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.
  • WASP - White anglo saxon protestant.

Source: http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-acronyms.html

Some more I can think of:  NASA, ASAP, AWOL, NAFTA, SWAT

Good point John. TLAs aren't mandatory, and a longer "xxx"LA might be more descriptive, but, and I'm guilty of this too, the OP is looking for something to yell out when some dip ship pulls his hamburger out of his pie hole and shouts across the street to you as you wiz by at 25kph and are already 30 meters away and (the opposite of ) closing.... " hey, what is that thang?",  And EUC,  gyro-wheel,  or any other TLA, FLA, or SLA will not adequately convey what IT is, in that 1.2 second window of opportunity, before you are totally out of range.

so, after considerable thought, and referring to my previous statement that I'm not here to educate the great unwashed, I'm going to answer such questions like thus:

"its a time machine.  I'm from the future."

and if she is the afore mentioned hot chick ( OK, if she's female, of age, not too bad looking, and Not old enough to be my mother , you know me so well) , she might get an invite to ride my rocket ship, (double entendre intended) ???

Ok, there are a lot of good suggestions on this topic, it doesn't look like we converged on something so we it looks like we are remaining with default EUC, Electric Unicycle. Maybe someone on this board can still come up with a technically correct name that also translates into a good sounding acronym, How about FPV ? We don't have to explain what an FPV is, but insiders will know that it stands for Face Plant Vehicle. Just kidding :D

One thing I'll do this weekend when I go EUC'ing around town and people ask what this thing is, I'll try different names on name and gauge their reaction, because they are the true measure if a name works or not (even if the name is completely incorrect ;)). Here are some things I'll try on them to check their reaction:

- Electric wheel or ewheel

- Gyrowheel. (Hmm, not so sure about this, sounds like a greek sandwich rotisserie)

- Hoverwheel. I know, I know that you hate the name and it's incorrect (me too), but wether we like it or not, even the dimmest person knows what a hoverboard is, so this is just simple variation.

- StreetGlider, Glidewheel or simply Glider. Not sure about any of those, but I'll try and see what they respond with.

- Finally, for more fun, I'll put on a straight face and tell them that this is a Monoped ! as @Cerbera  suggested. 

11 minutes ago, Smoother said:

FPV Face Plant Vehicle. I like that one a lot.

try this one " it's half a Segway.  I couldn't afford the whole thing".

Half a Segway... is that a segmentway? 

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Where is "here"?

We could just say what the brand name is, like "it's a Ninebot", or "it's a Kingsong, Gotway, IPS, Rockwheel, Firewheel, Airwheel, Solowheel or whatever wheel you have.  To me, they are all pretty cool names.

Or we could get specific and say what model, like "it's a Gotway MSuper V3.  That is one of the most badass names around!  Actually, that is what I'm going to say my Ninebot is from now on.:P

@Smoother his profile page shows someone holding a Brussels sprout, but he must be transplanted to the USB)

A week in with my unreliable first wheel I was inclined to call it ShutDownette, FacePlantino, UnoGo or BurnaMosfet but today, three months later I'm in a better mood with happier thoughts. I think John pretty much nailed it with EUC although it would have been better on the tongue with something along the same lines but softer and less acronymish like "Eunice", IMHO.

Speaking of soft, wouldn't the logical pronunciation of eucist be "eusist" rather than "eukist" since the "c" is followed by an "i" like in "physicist", "lyricist" and "civil"? Or is the pronunciation so ingrained by now that I just have to accept that Eucist her before I kissed her?

1 hour ago, Snurre said:

Speaking of soft, wouldn't the logical pronunciation of eucist be "eusist" rather than "eukist" since the "c" is followed by an "i" like in "physicist", "lyricist" and "civil"? Or is the pronunciation so ingrained by now that I just have to accept that Eucist her before I kissed her?

Once again we are being schooled (correctly, I might add) by a scandi.  Yes all that is very logicall but didn't anyone ever tell you English isn't logical, or at least there are many exceptions to the rules.  Personally, I don't even know the rules, if it sounds right or looks right, then to me it's right.  I think, that is how the exceptions came about in the first place; following the rules didn't always look right or sound right.  Here's a point of some sort.  Capt Kirk says in the opening monologue of Star Trek "...to boldly go where no man has gone before". Now, I'm told this a a split infinitive. I don't even know what an infinitive is, but apparently you can't split them.  He should have said.. ".. To go boldly...  But this obviously didn't sound right to the script writers of 1960 sci fi shows because it doesn't flow. So what is it? Follow the rules, or follow what sounds right? Am I a eu-cist   or a eu-kist ? Personally a eu-cist sounds like a puss filled infection ?, so I think I'll ignore the rules and go with what sounds right. Anarchist? Is it anar-chist or anar-kist? That's probably a different rule I know nothing about, but hopefully I've made some sort of logical point, somewhere.  No?  Oh well.

oh yeah, also, eu-cist sound a lot like useless, which is what I am at riding backwards, jumping up kerbs, jumping down kerbs....

39 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Once again we are being schooled (correctly, I might add) by a scandi.  Yes all that is very logicall but didn't anyone ever tell you English isn't logical, or at least there are many exceptions to the rules.  Personally, I don't even know the rules, if it sounds right or looks right, then to me it's right.  I think, that is how the exceptions came about in the first place; following the rules didn't always look right or sound right.  Here's a point of some sort.  Capt Kirk says in the opening monologue of Star Trek "...to boldly go where no man has gone before". Now, I'm told this a a split infinitive. I don't even know what an infinitive is, but apparently you can't split them.  He should have said.. ".. To go boldly...  But this obviously didn't sound right to the script writers of 1960 sci fi shows because it doesn't flow. So what is it? Follow the rules, or follow what sounds right? Am I a eu-cist   or a eu-kist ? Personally a eu-cist sounds like a puss filled infection ?, so I think I'll ignore the rules and go with what sounds right. Anarchist? Is it anar-chist or anar-kist? That's probably a different rule I know nothing about, but hopefully I've made some sort of logical point, somewhere.  No?  Oh well.

oh yeah, also, eu-cist sound a lot like useless, which is what I am at riding backwards, jumping up kerbs, jumping down kerbs....

You can be a Eucist if you like. In my head I'm definitely a pilot :) 

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Anarchist? Is it anar-chist or anar-kist?

Anarchist? Sounds like Greek to me. Anyway, thank you for the logical explanation of the illogicality, @Smoother. It all makes perfect sense to me now. A eucist eucing his EUC.:huh:

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

You can be a Eucist if you like. In my head I'm definitely a pilot :) 

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

How about an euc-ist?

If you get to be a euc-ist and pilot then I get to be a euconaut.B)

On 11/30/2016 at 10:27 PM, Smoother said:

I had to give you a rep for this even though you put down some of my points, "Phoebe", "See ya" .  Too good.  But "ohmaguh" ? I can't see it. And Bee-tee--dubs, is still just three letters pronounced, albeit with the last one abbrvd. Just sayin ?

I'll give you that.  I think the former is just local nerd slang, and the latter I think I just see as a word in my head.  Similar to a word I learned in Pimpology 101, though I'll not repeat it.

That said, might I throw in 'GizmoDuck'?  Only Western 90's kids would get it, but they'd instantly understand.

• 1 year later...

“Electric Unicycle” sounds dorky—because of the connotations of Unicycle.

“Gyrowheel” is the best I’ve come across.  Sounds distinctive and futuristic, while including the 2-wheeled variants (like Solowheel Iota).

I think new tech will often take the name of the dominant brand in the West. For example, "Segway" is more or less synonymous with gyro-stabilized two wheelers, and what members of the general public often call an EUC at first sight. "Ninebot" is catchy but did not achieve critical mass; "Gotway" – eh, maybe someday; "Kingsong" – nah, not likely; "Uniwheel" – possible, but very unlikely to ever dominate; and "Solowheel" – let's hope not. I think the mainstream name has yet to emerge, and will come about when a breakout model can capture mass commercial appeal.

I really have no idea what Asians call our wheels in everyday life, but Google translate from Chinese results in "electric balance car." Hilarious.

On 12/15/2017 at 6:42 PM, litewave said:

I really have no idea what Asians call our wheels in everyday life, but Google translate from Chinese results in "electric balance car." Hilarious.

電動獨輪車 literally translates to "electric-moved single wheel vehicle" in chinese, although seems like you heard a different term

if we're not gonna use the term "electric unicycle" then "wheel" would get my vote. it's simple, universal, and obviously implied that it's electric

Archived