What should we call these things (EUC)

Adel

Ok, I'm getting tired of people stopping me and asking me what I'm riding, and I have to say electric self balancing unicycle :huh:We need a catchy one word name for this category of vehicles that is both easy and that people can immediately relate to.

Also I'm not sure unicycle is appropriate name, regular unicycles have seats typically and are associated with acrobats. EUC are completely different category of transport vehicle, so this is not electric version of regular unicycle in the same way that an electric bike is just electric version of regular bike. Think how "hoverboard" succinctly describes two wheeled self balancing scooters.

Ok, put on your creative hats and suggest good names. Maybe we can agree on something and start popularizing it. Just to get the ball rolling, I'll start with " Hoverwheel"  or "Glidewheel"! 

I have feeling I'm starting controversial topic :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jer said:

I get comments on  this quite a bit, as there is no peddling, I don't think it should be call an electric unicycle.

I think it is an EW

Jer

I agree with you that electric wheel  is better than electric unicycle, but maybe more naming improvements are possible.

No love for monoped huh? One day these vehicles will be nothing special and it'll be a common sight to see standard Honda monopeds all over town... That day we'll be looking back and remembering the old days when we were young and used to call them Warlock Voodoo Orbs! Well maybe except the Asians themselves sticking to the true and well known term Fashion Wheelbarrow Balance Cars! But some swedish user on the international Monoped Forum (formerly known as the Electric Unicycle Forum) changed all that and simply coined it a monoped to be user ever after... I guess it doesn't sound so cool but neither does Motorcycle, that's why you can call it a bike or a hog etc. So you call it whatever you like but when you look it up in the dictionary you'll not find it defined as a scooter, motorcycle, moped or anything else, no according to the linguistic elite it is indeed a monoped! However it's not like you'd care about the name of it so it doesn't really matter, you just enjoy riding your high performance Tesla street monoped or going offroad with your rugged competition class Xsuper monoped.. The latter of course engineered from the ground up in cooperation with Monoped Extreme himself! (formerly known as @EUC Extreme)

8 minutes ago, nomad said:

No love for monoped huh?

Monoped doesn't work because we are bipeds, and a wheel isn't a foot ! :) Monopod maybe, monowheel, monoroll, but monoped just sounds...like a slug ! :D

6 hours ago, Adel said:

Ok, I'm getting tired of people stopping me and asking me what I'm riding, and I have to say electric self balancing unicycle :huh:We need a catchy one word name for this category of vehicles that is both easy and that people can immediately relate to.

Also I'm not sure unicycle is appropriate name, regular unicycles have seats typically and are associated with acrobats. EUC are completely different category of transport vehicle, so this is not electric version of regular unicycle in the same way that an electric bike is just electric version of regular bike. Think how "hoverboard" succinctly describes two wheeled self balancing scooters.

Ok, put on your creative hats and suggest good names. Maybe we can agree on something and start popularizing it. Just to get the ball rolling, I'll start with " Hoverwheel"  or "Glidewheel"! 

I have feeling I'm starting controversial topic :)

I had a lady ask me "is that a segway?" so I said yes, it's a one wheel segway.  

I think most people kind of understand that a segway keeps you balanced and you lean forward to go.

How about "leanercycle" ?

Otherwise I'll just call it a moped or a motorcycle and then they'll look at me like I'm crazy.. But they'll get it when they see it in use...

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Monoped doesn't work because we are bipeds, and a wheel isn't a foot ! :) Monopod maybe, monowheel, monoroll, but monoped just sounds...like a slug ! :D

sloped? ;)

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

I had a lady ask me "is that a segway?" so I said yes, it's a one wheel segway.  

I think most people kind of understand that a segway keeps you balanced and you lean forward to go.

Yes one wheel segway or one wheel hoverboard that's pretty much how to get out of it. I've even overheard a couple older people think it's a measurement tool when I passed using the trolley lol. Also heard someone shout "oh look it's a mongowheel!" haha I didn't even react to that one but maybe I'll just say it's a mongowheel when someone asks!

i think we have to redefine the word unicycle and claim it as the real unicycle instead of what people normally associate unicycles with which is clowns and circus acts. So, when someone asks I just say it's a unicycle. just like the word bike can be interpreted as a bicycle or a motorcycle in some places, electric unicycles should be known as unicycles. or uni's if you want something abbreviated like the word bike...

I think @John Eucist has won. Even I call it an EUC despite coming up with a few alternatives myself in his earlier thread on this subject.

lets face it TLA's ( three letter acronyms) are common and accepted in transportation

eg:

SUV: sports utility vehicle 

ATV: all terrain vehicle

and other places too

BTW, OMG, LOL, FYI, PTO, CIA, FBI, KGB, MBA, DDM, WTF, etc.

so why not a EUC? But it will have to be spelled out E.U.C. not  spoken as a word;"euc " as in "puke" don't don't hear anyone calling the CIA "cia".

sure, initially people won't know what E.U.C Means, just like SUV was once a new term.  But really, who gives a ship? I'm not here to educate every stranger who can't see that I'm riding on a single wheeled device that has some sort of motor and brain.  After all, anyone THAT un observant or un clued up about alternative forms of transport, will do nothing with the information anyway,  just shrug and go back to stuffing their face with hot dogs or ice cream, so I'm just wasting my breath to "not" educate someone I've never met and will never see again.  Now if she's a hot chick, she OBVIOUSLY deserves a full and in depth explanation and maybe a closely assisted demo try ( but that's just the creepy old man in me speaking) ?

No riding my EUC today, it's moving day.  Off to Denia, Spain, and new EUCing opportunities.  BTW, why don't we have a EUC imotocon like @The Fat Unicyclist Has?

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

so why not a EUC? But it will have to be spelled out E.U.C. not  spoken as a word;"euc " as in "puke" don't don't hear anyone calling the CIA "cia".

I would have preferred to associate euc with eucalyptus rather than puke but yes you do have a point.  However, one-syllable could be even better for verbal efficiency.  In fact, I hear people (especially in gamer circles like on twitch.tv) verbalizing "LOL" as "lawl" frequently. :D  But yeah EUC said one letter at at time works well too like, as you mentioned, how people say SUV, ATV, etc.  Perhaps both ways can be used interchangeably? 

BTW, why don't we have a EUC imotocon like @The Fat Unicyclist Has?

Someone needs to make one and make the size similar to our existing emoticons.  We could shrink down @The Fat Unicyclist's profile pic gif if he's willing to part with his unique "identity".

I think @John Eucist has won. Even I call it an EUC despite coming up with a few alternatives myself in his earlier thread on this subject.

3 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I noticed for a while some people were calling them "e-wheels," but that trend seems to have died.

For the record, I also own the ewheel.org domain so I'm not personally biased against it for domain reasons. http://forum.ewheel.org redirects to this forum.  My reservations against it are in the following old topic:

6 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Thought about that long time ago.  Looks too much like "eunuch".  We don't want to be castrated do we?  :laughbounce2:

Unless you fall at high speed, at just the wrong angle, and the trolley handle catches you just so...

I use 'Yuuke', as in 'EUC' pronounced as its own word.

SUV: sports utility vehicle 

ATV: all terrain vehicle

and other places too

BTW, OMG, LOL, FYI, PTO, CIA, FBI, KGB, MBA, DDM, WTF, etc.

The Star Wars AT-AT is often pronounced either as 'A T A T' or 'Att-Att', even in canon.  BTW can be 'Bee-Tee-Dubs', OMG can be 'ohmaguh', LOL can be 'lawl', and I know at least one person who refers to the FBI as 'Phoebe'.  I can also see the CIA being referred to as 'See ya', since if they ever come knocking, you'll likely never be seen again.

4 hours ago, pArmitage said:

I use 'Yuuke', as in 'EUC' pronounced as its own word.

The Star Wars AT-AT is often pronounced either as 'A T A T' or 'Att-Att', even in canon.  BTW can be 'Bee-Tee-Dubs', OMG can be 'ohmaguh', LOL can be 'lawl', and I know at least one person who refers to the FBI as 'Phoebe'.  I can also see the CIA being referred to as 'See ya', since if they ever come knocking, you'll likely never be seen again.

Granted that the below are more than three letters, but they are also spoken as a "word":

• RADAR - Radio detecting and ranging
  • LASER - Light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.
  • NATO - The North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
  • UNICEF - The United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund.
  • SCUBA - Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.
  • WASP - White anglo saxon protestant.

Source: http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-acronyms.html

Some more I can think of:  NASA, ASAP, AWOL, NAFTA, SWAT

Archived