Microworks 30C and 40A (12 mosfets) will be issued, Geekwheel or DIY for individual user

Lz Lee

3 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

It should be noted that the unit shown at Alibaba does not have the 12 mosfets. This wheel really intrigues me, but will we be able to buy it? And that shipping cost is kind of a deal killer.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It should be noted that the unit shown at Alibaba does not have the 12 mosfets. This wheel really intrigues me, but will we be able to buy it? And that shipping cost is kind of a deal killer.

shipping to US,  1 pc GEEKWHEEL scooter ,   shipping cost 138 USD now. 

It is expensive ? or you have better forwarder,  please recommend to us. thank you

3 hours ago, Lz Lee said:

we are thinking of selling 40A for super users. But we dont have suitable motor to match 40A.  Only 500W motor is not enough for its performance.

For the kind of riding that I'd like to do with a 2-1/2" wheel, etc. I'd need a more powerful motor than 500W.

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You're right; I did not notice earlier. I'm not interested in less than 12 mosfets. Also, they really need to do something about that shipping cost!

Overall the concept of this wheel has potential, especially if they create a 16-inch version.

12 hours ago, Lz Lee said:

shipping to US,  1 pc GEEKWHEEL scooter ,   shipping cost 138 USD now. 

It is expensive ?

Considering this is coming from China, I think that's a fair price for shipping.

The website states: "Note: 30C controller (Lastest controller ) supports iOS system,  Use bluetooth 4.0 connecting phone"

Does this mean you do not have an android app yet?

On 28/11/2016 at 4:29 PM, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@Lz Lee which is the microcontroller of that new boards? STMF1xx or STM32F4xx?

I'm  going to look if I can read, because I've received some goods recently:

IMG_20161110_185727b.jpg

I already have the same as the one pictured by @Lz Lee .

Unfortunatly I've bought the 30B just before 30C were released. What are the differences between 30B and 30C @Lz Lee please?

On 12/4/2016 at 3:21 AM, Lz Lee said:

we are thinking of selling 40A for super users. But we dont have suitable motor to match 40A.  Only 500W motor is not enough for its performance.

Does microworks make the motors? There's a few easy ways to make much more powerful motor than existing designs, but would need a supplier to build parts.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2016-12-05 at 5:20 AM, lizardmech said:

Does microworks make the motors? There's a few easy ways to make much more powerful motor than existing designs, but would need a supplier to build parts.

What easy ways are there to make much more powerful motors?  Larger magnets, wider stator windings?  I'm curious how they determine how many batteries to use, how thick the copper wiring needs to be, etc to get the characteristics they want from motors.  What makes a 1000w motor different than a 500w?  Also some motors have three sets of 3 hall sensors with each group spaced apart.  Is that for safety redundancy or was it just an older design that isn't needed any more as three alone is plenty?

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love. the winding core work like a car cylinders.  you fire one, the motor core advances to the nearest magnet and aligns the next core at the right position, the the second core fires to move a little farther forward and align the third core to the next magnet. and it is done in a linear sequence of three 1,2,3 1,2,3 and so on to make the motion or 3,2,1 3,2,1 to go reverse.  Now you ask "but we have more than 3 cores and more than three magnets!".  Very well. one core is not strong enough to turn the wheel around with enough force so two or three or four cores are wired in series with each phase to make each phase have more power per firing.  If you count the number of cores it is a multiple of three always. and Each Hall sensor tells the computer which core is in the right position to fire  and achieve the desired direction of motion. Does it make sense.

For example let say we want to fo forward. Hall sensor-1 is on because core is in the ideal position for it so the computer will fire 1 then 2 then 3 to go forward. But lets say hall sensor-2 is on the the computer will fire 2 then 3 the 1,2,3,1,2,3 and so on.  If Hall sensor 3 is on then it will fire 3 the 1,2,31,2,3 and so on. 

Would you effecively double the torque capabilities if you had two rows of magnets side by side or half offset and had two sets of stators?  Imagine if you took the magnet hub and doubled it up along with a dual stator arrangement.  You could fit the same width tire on,  but the motor housing would be wider.  Or if there is a wider tire available that would protect the motor better.

I would imagine that the speed might not be improved, but torque would be doubled?  Or say you just used double wide or 1/2 wider magnets and wider stators.... that would be simpler with less to go wrong.  How would that affect the motor properties?  What makes for 1000w motor versus a 500w?  Are there more windings/thicker wire/larger magnets?  I remember someone explained that when you design a motor for high speed you have to sacrifice on torque snd vice versa.  Is there no way to have the best of both worlds?

How about a dual motor design that has a high torque and a high speed side?  The controller could vary the power to one or the other side as needed,  but I suppose that would create some inter-motor instability?

You could. When you trade speed and torque, you can get it back with more winding, bigger cores and such.  The magnets are important also.  Bigger magnets, bigger magnetic force for the stators to pull and push against. You just have to find a combination that meets enclosure maximum enclosure dimensions available, maximum power available, maximum weight allowed.

It has to fit, it has to be light, it has to carry its own power and the cost.

you can have huge power inefficiencies by increasing the tolerances on the distance between the stators and the magnets, but hat would require perfect wheel balance, stronger assemblies that dont flex and such. But that would increase the cost.

Archived