KS14C Off-Road Adventure in Southern California

Marty Backe

I spent a couple of hours in some local Southern California mountains off-road riding my KS14C. Here are the highlights...

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Great video, you are lucky to have so many long trails to ride.  The 14 inch wheel seemed to handle some really rough terrain very well, maybe wheel size does not matter as much as experience and skill.

Yes, I have no lack for mountain trails within 1/2 hour from me in any direction. There are a few situations where a bigger wheel might prevent a fail, but mostly the bigger wheels are just more comfortable over rough terrain. The KS14C really is a nice wheel for going just about anywhere.

Wow :shock2: nice run!  Reading those ruts can be tricky.  They aren't my favorite.  That one section was particularly rough.  My off-roading is like nothing compared to your mountains there!  

I noticed that you prefer a rearward foot postioning on the KS14C.  Is that to help improve braking while going down steep hills?  I find that if I place my feet too far back I have to lean more and my lower leg muscles get tired faster since they are contracted more.

I wonder if doing any of those @Cloud cooling mods might help dissipate the heat more.

46 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wow :shock2: nice run!  Reading those ruts can be tricky.  They aren't my favorite.  That one section was particularly rough.  My off-roading is like nothing compared to your mountains there!  

I noticed that you prefer a rearward foot postioning on the KS14C.  Is that to help improve braking while going down steep hills?  I find that if I place my feet too far back I have to lean more and my lower leg muscles get tired faster since they are contracted more.

I wonder if doing any of those @Cloud cooling mods might help dissipate the heat more.

This ride was a workout for sure, but plenty of fun. When I knew that I'd be going down steep declines I did bring my feet back - seems more comfortable to me.

@jrkline implemented those cooling mods on his 14C and it still overheated in similar conditions. These hills are a stress test for sure - every time I've ridden them on the Kingsong, they have overheated. I'm convinced that only the 12 mosfet Gotway's don't overheat.

Just now, jrkline said:

Next time we do a SCUMM ride,let's do whittier and test the ACM's

I was thinking you'd enjoy Whittier. How about next weekend?

Archived