GotWay New Android APP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems like Gotway is going the way of Ninebot and not allowing high tiltback speeds.  But Ninebot sets their app selectable tiltback speed to a maximum of only greater than 6.2 mph!  I think selectable tiltback speeds are going to get lower and lower.  It seems that high speed tiltback is dangerous.

I think that instead of tiltback at high speeds, there should be a very gradual lowering of speed, not tiltback but slow loss of power, with warning beeps and vibration of the wheel, like Solowheel.  And then a verbal message from the wheel speaker, "you were going too fast for safety, please don't go so fast"

11 hours ago, steve454 said:

I think that instead of tiltback at high speeds, there should be a very gradual lowering of speed, not tiltback but slow loss of power, with warning beeps and vibration of the wheel, like Solowheel.  And then a verbal message from the wheel speaker, "you were going too fast for safety, please don't go so fast"

The number of times this error gets repeated is amazing! Power holds you upright if you lean forward that power, or more correctly torque, has to counter your leaning forward and, doing that has to result in an increase in speed. A reduction in power or speed = faceplant - pure and simple.

It is because you are approaching the limits of torque, that the wheel has to do something to stop you continuing leaning forward, so the options are tilt back vibration or beeping. I would agree that, at high speeds vibration or beeping might be safer than tilt back.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Keith said:

The number of times this error gets repeated is amazing! Power holds you upright if you lean forward that power, or more correctly torque, has to counter your leaning forward and, doing that has to result in an increase in speed. A reduction in power or speed = faceplant - pure and simple.

It is because you are approaching the limits of torque, that the wheel has to do something to stop you continuing leaning forward, so the options are tilt back vibration or beeping. I would agree that, at high speeds vibration or beeping might be safer than tilt back.

I worded that wrong.  What I meant was very gradual tiltback to start slowing you down, instead of strong tiltback.  It might feel like a reduction of power but would be a reduction of speed,  That might feel like a slow loss of power since you are no longer accelerating.  In effect, it is a slow loss of power because it is making you slow down.

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2016 at 2:06 PM, Jose Otal said:

The application asks me for my phone number, because I have to give this information, since my phone warns me that it is a dangerous application and that to register it on my phone obliges me to give access to many configurations or other things on my phone ? I think giving my number, is to open the door to my phone, I can trust, is it normal to give personal data? I just want an application without dangers

The latest [GotWay 0213.apk] is extremely intrusive (more than any other euc app, by quite a lot) and looks like it connects to a insecure server in China.

Settings > Application Manager > Gotway > Permissions > (tap 3 dots in upper right) > All permissions

Instead, I found this better alternative (which has none of the intrusive permissions):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.electro_sport

:blink1:

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2017 at 1:04 AM, steve454 said:

I worded that wrong.  What I meant was very gradual tiltback to start slowing you down, instead of strong tiltback.  It might feel like a reduction of power but would be a reduction of speed,  That might feel like a slow loss of power since you are no longer accelerating.  In effect, it is a slow loss of power because it is making you slow down.

All the new wheels have soft tiltbacks. The problem is, if you still speed up, the tiltback has to become hard in order to react quickly enough. So there's no way around the possibility of a severe tiltback.

One could have a tiltforward instead, but it would probably be less safe. Starting slowly, but it would have the same problem that it may become severe and that would be a guaranteed faceplant (unlike tiltback).

The only solution I see is arbitrary tiltback speeds, and a gradual tiltback beginning a few kph earlier so nobody is surprised by this. The V10(F) e.g. seems to have a very nice "reminder" tiltback before it gets strong. I see zero point in not allowing any tiltback speed. Just plan a 5kph buffer for going from soft tiltback to emergency tiltback.

1 hour ago, Nelp said:

Hi guys. Does anyone has the app keep stopping while opening? I'm on Samsung Note 9 and downloaded it from kebye.com

This kebye app is some kind of ancient 3rd version crap. Forget it.

You can get the current social/account Gotway app from the Play Store or manually from facebook.com/groups/gotway/files (GotWay 0213.apk).

Or you can get the old no-account-needed Gotway app from the Download section on this site (direct link: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=11932). The electro-sport app on the Play Store is a localized version of this same app.

Both apps are years old and have the same (bad) functionality. For example tiltback speed is limited to 48kph even though there are faster wheels now. There's nothing better official from Gotway, though they seem to be working on something at the moment.

For day-to-day use, use Wheellog (be careful not to select the "wheel settings" option in Wheellog, it will change some wheel settings without asking, e.g. it disabled my speed alarms without warnings which is bad). Wheellog is on the Play Store. Reserve the shitty Gotway app (whatever version) for when you absolutely must use it (settings, calibration).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can I get a real reason as to why an app for an electric unicycle needs to have such intrusive permissions and requires an active internet connection.  I shouldn't have to log in, I should be able to opt out of your social app spyware.  I don't need god knows who knowing everything or whatever on my phone and sending back that data to who knows where.

Haven't used king songs app but have heard it's pretty terrible but will gladly not buy gotway unicycles in the future if I am forced to use some honeypot app that collects user data and snoops on me for Chinese advertisers or worse the Chinese government, it's bad enough having to deal with google/facebook and  and their shenanigans but now users have to worry about their electric unicycle app tracking them and sending back who knows what data to who knows where. 

It's like how I will never buy Lenovo because of the shit they pulled with superfish

If king song goes the same direction I'll feel the same, I shouldn't have to buy a burner phone to calibrate and configure settings on my EUC without my data being stolen.

Thank god for wheellog

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Upvote 1

Now, I can say that the new gotway app works on my huawei hp10lite (even if I don't really understand the right procedure to make it discover my wheel. Anyway, I can repeat the same process to make it work). But it still does not work on samsung galaxy S4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Ronin Ryder said:

where is the Gotway app for android in 2020? i cant find a working version anywhere... Thanks

Use EUC World.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Im already doing:) im looking to turn off the leds on the gotway nikola and on euc world i couldnt only change the colors (unless i missed). So i thought of checking the gotway app. 

Unfortunately there is no option to turn LEDs off. In general Gotways are most simple in terms of any settings.

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/2/2020 at 3:53 AM, Seba said:

Unfortunately there is no option to turn LEDs off. In general Gotways are most simple in terms of any settings.

Actually i found it on your app, its the led setting #6! 

I would still be curious to check out the gotway app but its not on android anymore. If someone knows where to find it it would be great!