KS14c MORE gremlins today?

Smoother

After leaving my wheel on charge too long (again)  last night, today it starts tilting back and forth as described in my other gremlins post.  Having learned from the responses that overcharging is the problem (Although how this is possible with the factory charger, is anyone's guess), and the solution is just to jump on and ride, that's what I did. So far so good.  But then I notice...

THE PROBLEM:

when I slow down, the pedals tilt back to a degree that I have never felt before.  Additionally, once I am at or near a full stop, the pedals continue to fall in the rear, as if I am compressing a gas shock absorber.  I can actually feel my ankles bending and my boots creaking, as I try to keep my body upright, even as my heels are descending. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE,AND I DONT LIKE IT.

additionally, when turning, mid way through SOME corners, it tips the pedals back as well.  This almost threw me off once.  AGAIN, I DONT LIKE IT

further, I see no reason for this.it doesn't help me brake, and it is destabilising ( not a good condition in a machine whose primary role is to stabilise.)

i tried (for the first time) both the other riding modes in the app , but that made no difference. So it's back on "hard" now.

i turned it on and off several times

I even recalibratd level ( no thanks to the instructions on the app) still no joy

the way I see it, except for tilt back (Ollie), the path of physical communication between me and the wheel is one way; I apply differential pressure to the front or back of the pedals, wheel changes speed to keep me level.  END OF STORY.

When the pedals decide to communicate the other way ( again, outside of normal tilt back protocol) funny things happen, but I'm not laughing.

i have over 200 km on this wheel and this is a new, unwelcome, and unexplained behaviour.  Did I mention I DONT LIKE IT.

can anybody shed some light on this behaviour, cos it's making my wheel no joy to ride. And isn't that the point.

Does this happen just after you put the full charge in it or at any time regardless of the battery charge?

can you measure the V your charger gives out on no load? Can you open up the wheel after the full charge and measure the voltage of the batteries?

I am not sure what it is, sounds like you rode it for an hour and the battery was no longer full. So i dont see how this can be regenerative breaking and overcharging. Sounds like you may need to change out the CB

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

What is the CB? 

Bought last month.

Control board!!

You sure its not the riding mode? 

Oh wait, is it possible that the wheel needs to be unlocked again for higher speed and it just tilts back on you at lower speed again?

Riding mode? No. Tried all three. Couldn't really feel a difference to tell you the truth. And even then, it doesn't feel any different when accelerating, and softer modes work in both directions, n'est-pas?

unlocked again? No. Turning tilt back happens at about 4kph, max speed today, 28.x kph, and I only get this strange sinking in the heels when I initiate a slow down, from any speed. ( or in some corners)

Please keep trying. You may stumble across it.

Inmotion wheels when they overheat slowly rotate back to 45° while the speaker announces "engine out, please get off" or something like that.. If you're riding backwards or break too hard when it happens it slowly rotates in the opposite direction (forward) to stop you safely. I managed to overheat it a few times after 10-15 minutes agressive practicing some stuff with lots of acceleration and deceleration involved...

Also it will tiltback when pushing too fast uphill far below the speed limit, this can actually be good, I don't like tiltback otherwise but in this case it can help balance and slow down if you go into an incline too fast, you also feel how much you can keep pushing all the way uphill, without setting off the alarm or overpower it. I did get overpower alarms and tiltback a few times when caught by surprise potholes etc. I didn't see, because they were covered by leafs or behind something or it was too dark... Some hard hits throwing me forward and causing the pedals to be pushed down very far, but it pulled me back up every time so far while buzzing the alarm and yelling "be careful"! May not seem very useful to be warned afterwards but it does teach you the limits of bumping over stuff for the future.. Maybe it was just my pulse jumping but the lady in my wheel saved me several times and seems to care for my safety :wub:

So.. Could it be as simple as overpower or overheat tiltback from too agressive riding, if Kingsong wheels do that? Maybe a heatsink or thermal glue or something loosened in an earlier crash if the shell was hit in a certain spot or the plastic twisted or something, I don't know how that wheel is put together. But maybe a visual inspection of the control board will show the problem? Does it have a cooling fan and if so does the board measure fan rpm signal or the app show fan failure? Did you check the temp with the app while this is happening? That's what I would do first...

@nomad I enjoyed reading your report. Especially the "be careful" warning. Lol. No its not heat, because it started immediately, it's quite cool here mid teens c. And it was consistent throughout the day.  Kingsong will tilt back and not let you on again if hot, I believe.   and although my OP said, charged last night, it was actually 2 nights ago because it rained most of yesterday so I didn't go out, so the batteries were cool.

ACTUALLY HERES AN UPDATE:

im a little embarrassed  to says this..... but,

I kinda like it, at least in a straight line.  Still not keen in the corners.  Having slowed to a crawl multiple times in a row, I'm liking the sensation,and I think it's actually increasing my ability to brake.  It feels like this..

imaging a heavy displacement  boat with a deep V hull that is on the plane, and the driver chops the throttles.  It sinks down into the water, heavy stern first.  That's what it feels like.  And that squashing of gas struts feeling is like when the boat settles from finally into displacement mode.  It a bit cool once you get used to it.

i still have no idea where it came from or where it's been all this time, and I still don't like it in corners.  But I'm learning to enjoy it.

is my wheel unique? is it learning new tricks? Will it throw me off again sometime? Stay tuned.

If 1 cell is damaged it can happen like that. Maybe You have oportunity to swap battery with some one to check it.

I had that problem with my dauther wheel. 1 cell had 3.9 V after full charged pack. It also drained battery quicker then before. I found that 1 cell had damaged isolation. Is your distance range decreased after that?

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

ACTUALLY HERES AN UPDATE:

imaging a heavy displacement  boat with a deep V hull that is on the plane, and the driver chops the throttles.  It sinks down into the water, heavy stern first.  That's what it feels like.  And that squashing of gas struts feeling is like when the boat settles from Bally into displacement mode.  It a bit cool once you get used to it.

i still have no idea where it came from or where it's been all this time, and I still don't like it in corners.  But I'm learning to enjoy it.

is my wheel unique? is it learning new tricks? Will it throw me off again sometime? Stay tuned.

This is basically how its supposed to be with KS14. When you accelerate the nose dives softly, then straightens out. Same reason why this happens during turns ( which i also dislike) where sometimes during sharp turns the tips of my feet touch the ground.

But i am sure your wheel is still unique :) 

10 hours ago, Smoother said:

Has it developed malevolent sentience ?! All good questions. We can't complain it's not exciting can we ? :)

12 hours ago, Robi Bobi said:

If 1 cell is damaged it can happen like that. Maybe You have oportunity to swap battery with some one to check it.

I had that problem with my dauther wheel. 1 cell had 3.9 V after full charged pack. It also drained battery quicker then before. I found that 1 cell had damaged isolation. Is your distance range decreased after that?

No opportunity to try other battery, no one else wheeling around here.

distance and power do not seem to be effected,. Rode quite a lot yesterday and did not feel that battery was having issues.  However, your idea might hold water, and I'll remember to test it when I take the wheel apart to replace the beeper ( which arrived yesterday). Oh yeah how do you test individual cells? It's all sealed in shrink wrap.

6 hours ago, Cloud said:

This is basically how its supposed to be with KS14. When you accelerate the nose dives softly, then straightens out. Same reason why this happens during turns ( which i also dislike) where sometimes during sharp turns the tips of my feet touch the ground.

But i am sure your wheel is still unique :) 

Before this, my pedals haven't moved perceivably under my feet.  The feeling has always been that they stay the same, and only the speed changes.  Then the tilting In  corners (but only sometime) came along, and I didn't like that. And now this.  As I said I appreciate the one way nature of my foot/ pedal interaction.  When the pedals start "talking"back to me I feel like I'm riding out an earthquake; all that's missing is @The Fat Unicyclist as my tour guide.

Yeah, I drag my toes sometimes, when it dips into the turn, which pulls the wheel and upsets the turn.  But mostly it stays level.  Add to that now, in some corners it tips the pedals markedly backwards, and it's a crapshoot as to what I'm going to get.  Makes for an unsettling ride.  CONSISTENCY that's all I ask, oh and a reason why things have suddenly changed out of the blue, oh and hair where my bald patch  is, oh and a bigger.......

I had no name wheel and I unwraped the battery pack and checked  every each cell .I ordered  new 16 ceels pack with sony vtc5 - 2500 mah , 30 Amps per each . The no name wheel has got new life , level battery diodes are brighter now. You can use wheel log app and after full charge go for a while, check Voltage report how is look like. If is going below around 55V that mean the wheel go for emergency due to low Voltage and You have the tilt back. Maybe damaged cell works like a resistor lowering Your Voltage even on full battery.

My recomendation for battery makers . Please do extra separations between battery and metal bond connectors. Ceels have very thin polyfilm separators. Any moisture, water , shake bettery can scratch the film or make unwanted connection. Battery pack should be water resistance as much as possible. That my opinion.

Archived