EUC Netherlands, Dutch

Bram

Hello everyone!

I moved to the Netherlands recently and I am a great fan of the electric unicycles so I'd like to get a new wheel, so I have several questions

1. I looked through the topic but I didn't understand clearly - are EUCs legal in The Netherlands?

2. Where do people buy wheels in The Netherlands? Any shops specializing on wheels? Or should I use eBay?

Hello everyone, my name Lucian from Romania and tomorrow morning at about 08.00 i want to start big trip with one of my wheels. Here you can find updates and maybe you can see and like many beautiful Romanian landscapes. 

Thanks 

7 hours ago, lucian75 said:

Hello everyone, my name Lucian from Romania and tomorrow morning at about 08.00 i want to start big trip with one of my wheels. Here you can find updates and maybe you can see and like many beautiful Romanian landscapes. 

Thanks 

Hello Lucian,

At first good luck with you're challenge.

But somehow a can't see where i can find updates from the trip.

Hope you can clear this, thank you.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:55 AM, Planemo said:

Just got back from a week in the Netherlands. Damn is your country the EUC nirvana or what! So jealous. You guys really have it nailed with cycle lanes. So many, is there some law or something that says if a road needs to be built, it MUST have a cycle lane built next to it too?!

Bit of an eye opener when I saw mopeds being ridden on the cycle lanes, I thought it was just some naughty kids at first, even my kids were surprised "Daddy, why are there motorbikes on the pavement?". Then I saw the signs that allowed mopeds to use them. I am amazed that the government allows pedestrians, cycles, electric cycles and mopeds to all use the same lanes, but it seems to work. Didn't see any issues at all. And everyone uses bells. Another thing I noticed - no one uses cycle helmets! It was so nice to see so many people ditching their cars.

All in all I was fascinated, but it certainly drive home how bad the UK is in catering for cycles :( I didn't see any EUC's, but given that mopeds are riding at 30mph on the lanes I can't see why EUC's would be frowned on?!

Thank you for allowing me and my family in to visit your beautiful country. We stayed in a holiday park at Landlal Landgoed 't loo, visited Amsterdam (my 13 y/o son was most impressed with the phallic bongs haha!) and Giethoorn where we hired a boat to navigate the beautiful canals. Truth be told, I could quite happily live in NL!

Hello Planemo,

Good to read that you liked our little country off tulips and wooden shoes:efefa6edcf:

I realice by now that we are damn lucky with our cycle infra structure.

Especialy when i see and read about other country and there situation.

People from abroad almost always are amazed that we don't use helmets on  normal bike.

Somehow that's just how the dutch are, and because a nation of cyclist that are used to cycling that much or so.

When you have plans to come back, let us now- maybe we/someone can joy on a ride.

Thanks, I may just post here if I go back, but dont think it will be for some time. We have to do family holidays what with the ages of the kids, and now the NL is ticked off the list they will prob want to try somewhere else, despite how much we all liked it.

I dont think that riders in the NL even need helmets tbh, the whole setup is so different to ours that maybe the education of car drivers is just more aware of cyclists, plus of course you have far less riders on the road in the first place because of all the cycle lanes!

20 hours ago, Ivan Komissarov said:

Hello everyone!

I moved to the Netherlands recently and I am a great fan of the electric unicycles so I'd like to get a new wheel, so I have several questions

1. I looked through the topic but I didn't understand clearly - are EUCs legal in The Netherlands?

2. Where do people buy wheels in The Netherlands? Any shops specializing on wheels? Or should I use eBay?

Hii cause I saw no one answerred you I thought I might help you out. 

Firstly. Welcome to the Netherlands ! 

1. As of right now EUC are not legal in the Netherlands, but I hear here and there, they aren't very strict either. As long as you ride mindfull and respectfull I assume. 
There is a petition going to legalize them, sign here :D https://petities.nl/petitions/legaliseer-personal-light-electric-vehicles/signatures/13798584?locale=nl

2. Therefor there isnt much selling going on in the Netherlands either. Some people sell 2nd hand on Marktplaats.nl but not many. 
The online stores I saved so far are https://eunicycles.eu,  https://www.electricunicycles.eu and https://www.onewheel.be that can ship to the Netherlands, I'm not aware of local dutch suppliers.

I'm sure someone can back up on advice as I still have to buy my first wheel myself.
Goodluck :D 

3 hours ago, Rii said:

Hii cause I saw no one answerred you I thought I might help you out. 

Firstly. Welcome to the Netherlands ! 

1. As of right now EUC are not legal in the Netherlands, but I hear here and there, they aren't very strict either. As long as you ride mindfull and respectfull I assume. 
There is a petition going to legalize them, sign here :D https://petities.nl/petitions/legaliseer-personal-light-electric-vehicles/signatures/13798584?locale=nl

2. Therefor there isnt much selling going on in the Netherlands either. Some people sell 2nd hand on Marktplaats.nl but not many. 
The online stores I saved so far are https://eunicycles.eu,  https://www.electricunicycles.eu and https://www.onewheel.be that can ship to the Netherlands, I'm not aware of local dutch suppliers.

I'm sure someone can back up on advice as I still have to buy my first wheel myself.
Goodluck :D 

AND:  https://eenwiel.eu, a great Dutch EUC supplier!

Can't be left out. Good service too! :)

Edited by Rudy Sijnke

16 hours ago, Rii said:

Is die van jou? 

Lijkt wel een beetje sketchy - no offense 

Het is van Lars die wij, in de EUC - community, goed kennen. Topgozer met topnotch service. 

(Zie whatsapp - pm) 

PS, no offense taken😎

Edited by Rudy Sijnke

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I found this post when looking for law in Holland regarding EUC.

Is driving EUC on bike lanes legal in Holland? What about sidewalks in Amsterdam if I drive slowly and giving priority to pedestrians?

I plan to visit Keukenhof tomorrow (Saturday), and I'm quite unsure what to expect while driving on bike lanes.

Regards

Hallo iedereen,

Ik heb me twee jaar geleden aangemeld op dit EUC-forum als Sam Loh. Ik ben 61 jaar en woon in Bussum. Tot op heden veel off-road gereden (genoeg hei en bos hier in de omgeving) op mijn Ninebot one. Inmiddels heb ik een King Song 18XL besteld. In de aanloop daar naar toe zag ik op dit forum dat er inmiddels deze Nederlandse groep is, die af en toe samen toert. Met veel plezier alle video's bekeken.Nu ik zeer binnenkort wat grotere afstanden kan rijden op mijn nieuwe wiel, zou ik graag een keer met jullie mee willen rijden en nader kennismaken. Kan dat?

Groet Sam Loh

Edited by Sam Loh
Taalfout ofroad ipv offroad

On 5/15/2019 at 2:09 AM, Sam Loh said:

Hallo iedereen,

Ik heb me twee jaar geleden aangemeld op dit EUC-forum als Sam Loh. Ik ben 61 jaar en woon in Bussum. Tot op heden veel off-road gereden (genoeg hei en bos hier in de omgeving) op mijn Ninebot one. Inmiddels heb ik een King Song 18XL besteld. In de aanloop daar naar toe zag ik op dit forum dat er inmiddels deze Nederlandse groep is, die af en toe samen toert. Met veel plezier alle video's bekeken.Nu ik zeer binnenkort wat grotere afstanden kan rijden op mijn nieuwe wiel, zou ik graag een keer met jullie mee willen rijden en nader kennismaken. Kan dat?

Groet Sam Loh

You got pm! 

Edited by Rudy Sijnke

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2019 at 6:04 PM, Ivan Komissarov said:

Hello everyone!

Hi,

no sadly they are not legal, but the main issue is the insurance: if you get caught without an insurance the consequences may be pretty expensive :( I am currently grounded from my EUC since some months ago because I've not been able to find any insurer

Hello everyone,

I'm planning my holidays and wondering about going to Amsterdam (from 07/30 to 05/08) and bring my euc. I looked a bit on the web and found neither obvious information nor any unicycle store.

Is it legal there ? Should I ride on bicycle path ? Roads ? Speed limit ?

Thank you in advance to clarify all these points :)

4 hours ago, Romain Bala said:

Hello everyone,

I'm planning my holidays and wondering about going to Amsterdam (from 07/30 to 05/08) and bring my euc. I looked a bit on the web and found neither obvious information nor any unicycle store.

Is it legal there ? Should I ride on bicycle path ? Roads ? Speed limit ?

Thank you in advance to clarify all these points :)

You need to drive with at least insurance licence plate and behave in traffic. Without that you can risk a fine. Plevs in general are still 'grey - area' vehicles, thus not legal here. Riding in parks and forests is for now the best... Avoid the city centres and roads. Bikelanes are the best... don't go faster than 25kmh when you stand out in traffic, always behave like you should. Crowdy places like in A'dam can be quite tricky... 

Best of luck! :)

Edited by Rudy Sijnke

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Rudy,

Thank you for feedback. I have insurance, in France, it's the same as motorcycle. My goal was to ride around the city, visit places and so on. I'm still planning on going on holiday with my wheel (and train) only.

I might reconsider my holiday trip then...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 5:57 PM, Rudy Sijnke said:

You need to drive with at least insurance licence plate and behave in traffic. Without that you can risk a fine. Plevs in general are still 'grey - area' vehicles, thus not legal here. Riding in parks and forests is for now the best... Avoid the city centres and roads. Bikelanes are the best... don't go faster than 25kmh when you stand out in traffic, always behave like you should. Crowdy places like in A'dam can be quite tricky... 

Best of luck! :)

Funny. I wasn't aware of this and rode my euc for a couple of days in Zandvoort on the bicycle path to go to and from the race track. Nobody seemed to care :D 

It's strange that a country that's so ahead in cycling has such silly restrictions on this kind of transportation.

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Funny. I wasn't aware of this and rode my euc for a couple of days in Zandvoort on the bicycle path to go to and from the race track. Nobody seemed to care :D 

It's strange that a country that's so ahead in cycling has such silly restrictions on this kind of transportation.

I got stopped by the police two days in a row while riding my msuper x this week. In Amsterdam and in Diemen, I am thinking of selling it if I cannot figure out how to get a license plate/insurance. The police asked me for a liability insurance on the wheel that I tried to get from insurance companies but they don't offer it! So kinda tricky situation. The police can seize your wheel if they have a bad day too!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Juan Sacco said:

I got stopped by the police two days in a row while riding my msuper x this week. In Amsterdam and in Diemen, I am thinking of selling it if I cannot figure out how to get a license plate/insurance. The police asked me for a liability insurance on the wheel that I tried to get from insurance companies but they don't offer it! So kinda tricky situation. The police can seize your wheel if they have a bad day too!

Very sad. It depresses me to read these stories knowing that there's absolutely nothing you can do.

:(

43 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very sad. It depresses me to read these stories knowing that there's absolutely nothing you can do.

:(

What's absurd is that you live in a very car oriented society and have no issues, while he lives in a bicycle oriented society. If I go to a Dutch city by car I really feel out of place there.

• Like 1

I got stopped today by the police _twice_. The first one was OK - the policemen were in good mood and checked that I have an insurance. Second one (motorbike cop) just claimed that EUCs are not allowed on public roads and fined me despite I showed him the explanation from the OM website and an insurance. He said that it not up to him to decide and let the public prosecutor decide. Nuff said :(