Msuperv3 820wh full charge, wheel log shows 93%--- Normal?

3 hours ago, Alan Ng said:

Hi guys, i recently purchased a brand new 820wh msuperv3. However, when it is fully charged the wheel log app only shows 93%. Please tell me is this normal, or is there an error/fault with the battery?

If both of you are getting it I guess it is normal.  

3 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Sounds like good battery management to me as lithium batteries degrade very quickly when taken to, or even close to 100% or 0% charge.

Thanks for your input.  With so many people having very different opinions on battery management, can you give us your input.  Mainly in regards to best charging practices and what's good to do and not do. 

How many times have you charged the battery?  Maybe it has to do with needing to cycle the charge more before the battery reaches full capacity?  Or maybe you need to charge it a little longer as maybe the BMS hasn't had a chance to balance the cells?  I thought I recalled reading that these batteries need to be cycled a few times before they reach peak efficiency?

52 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I thought I recalled reading that these batteries need to be cycled a few times before they reach peak efficiency?

This is a myth, which you can read much to often.... Lithium Ion cells are on 100% from there first full charge on... 

in this case i really would guess a problem

-with the charger

-with one of the BMS, perhaps not balancing anymore

As both batterie packs on the V3 are connected directly with an extra wire (i guess for balancing, see my V3 review)) the defect of just one BMS would be enough....

i am also having wheellog and a V3 and do have a full 100% charge....

The further question would be to prove that only the wheellog app is showing 93%...

What about 9bmetrics??? Perhaps a friend with such app can test?

8 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Sounds like good battery management to me as lithium batteries degrade very quickly when taken to, or even close to 100% or 0% charge.

Degrading on a brand new wheel?

First degrading starts after about 30-50 -full- cycles...

But most important:

even after degrading you are able to charge the batteries up to 100%=67,2 volt!

Degrading just reduces the amount of mah/wh you get out of the batteries...so you will not be able to get 820wh anymore....

93% of Wheellog display correspond to 65.3V(4.08V per cell), which is not normal.

Apart from the charger or the battery, the internal A/D may be faulty.

I recommend OP turns V3 on and start wheellog while the wheel is lying down, connect and disconnect the charger to see if there is any changes on the wheellog for battery level. If it shows 100% when plug-in, then the battery is faulty or out of balanced. If the reading is always 93%, then you need a multimeter to test the output of the charger: pin 1 is positive and pin 3 is negative, the voltage should be around 67.2V.

6 hours ago, zlymex said:

93% of Wheellog display correspond to 65.3V(4.08V per cell), which is not normal.

Apart from the charger or the battery, the internal A/D may be faulty.

I recommend OP turns V3 on and start wheellog while the wheel is lying down, connect and disconnect the charger to see if there is any changes on the wheellog for battery level. If it shows 100% when plug-in, then the battery is faulty or out of balanced. If the reading is always 93%, then you need a multimeter to test the output of the charger: pin 1 is positive and pin 3 is negative, the voltage should be around 67.2V.

So it might be the charger being faulty instead of the battery?

I'll try this tonight.

2 hours ago, Alan Ng said:

This is the wheellog, I dont understand why its saying 82.67volts. Should be 67.2volts. Can anyone explain this? im not a technical person with regards to electric circuits etc.

You probably got the wrong version of wheellog.
I might got the wrong version too, because it shows 67V when it should be 84V.

17 minutes ago, zlymex said:

You probably got the wrong version of wheellog.
I might got the wrong version too, because it shows 67V when it should be 84V.

OMG u are right. i redownloaded the version from google play store.. and it shows 67v and 100% battery... THANKS ALOT!

Archived