Earthquakes...

The Fat Unicyclist

Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist, the ABS analogy makes sense.  I can imagine though, that the anticipation of what comes next can be more scary than the actual initial ground shaking.
I remember hearing at some point, that there was another 6000 aftershocks for Christchurch after the big 2011 quake!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Kroy said:

Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist, the ABS analogy makes sense.  I can imagine though, that the anticipation of what comes next can be more scary than the actual initial ground shaking.
I remember hearing at some point, that there was another 6000 aftershocks for Christchurch after the big 2011 quake!

Have a look here...  https://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt

Unfortunately they only show the last 30 events, the the first one last night fell off the list about 2am. But it gives you an idea of the frequency.

So my biggest problem now is that we're trying to "carry on" like normal... Which for us is watching something on the box. 

In this case though "the box" is actually 120" screen, emanating from a ceiling mounted projector. The issue just now though is that all of the aftershocks are making the image rock, and I'm starting to get a little seasick.  :barf:

#FirstWorldProblems

4 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So my biggest problem now is that we're trying to "carry on" like normal... Which for us is watching something on the box. 

In this case though "the box" is actually 120" screen, emanating from a ceiling mounted projector. The issue just now though is that all of the aftershocks are making the image rock, and I'm starting to get a little seasick.  :barf:

#FirstWorldProblems

please take care of yourself

i cannot believe the number of aftershocks and closely they are spaced. YIKES

2 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

please take care of yourself

They're easing back now - I think I was only woken a couple of time in the night. Though it is surprising how quickly you get used to something and then just don't notice it - like living next to an airport and running out the planes - we're at the point that anything under 3.5 doesn't consciously register. 

It also makes for a good game... when the bigger ones finish, you call it the strength then check to see who was closest... Currently I owe Mrs Fat Unicyclist $40 - she's really good at it!

Today I am going to Auckland for a couple of days - it will be good, as I will be able to sleep well tonight, but bad because I won't have a chance to win my money back (yet). 

18 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

Love the story about you and your wife in the bet about who is the more accurate seismograph

Enjoy Auckland as it'll be great to be away from the epicenter

The problem is, she will probably keep playing while I'm gone, adding every single win to my tab!  :huh:

And for this trip, I'm with a colleague from Christchurch - effectively my own portable support group / war story buddy...  :D

29 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The problem is, she will probably keep playing while I'm gone, adding every single win to my tab!  :huh:

And for this trip, I'm with a colleague from Christchurch - effectively my own portable support group / war story buddy...  :D

We need to hear more about this relationship of yours.... Some of us will be jealous :barf:

On 15/11/2016 at 6:46 AM, Greg Spalding said:

We need to hear more about this relationship of yours.... Some of us will be jealous :barf:

I don't know, she's your normal sort of wife I guess... But definitely considerate...

She only ever bruises me where I can cover them up.

And she's stopped burning me with cigarettes as a punishment - other than inside my ears (as that doesn't show either).

On one occasion she did grate my forearm... But she has told me I deserved it. 

But, most importantly, she - oh, crap she's com

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:huh: :o :shock2:  Well she better look like this to make all that punishment worth it!

55087932962276386.jpg

That is so shallow... It's not all about the looks! 

Mrs Fat Unicyclist has so many more layers to her - like an onion?

She cooks like a chef - in fact, when I moved in, I put on 20# in 6 months. 

Her specialty is dessert / chocolate - which was worth mentioning separately. 

She won't let me use the washer / dryer - no seriously, she won't. 

When we go out, she prefers to drive - which means I can drink. 

And yes, she is also hot - almost as hot as my mistress!   ;)

It's not all about the looks? :blink:   Whoa, my whole Tinder reality has been based on a lie?  :shock2:  

Okay okay I'd say maybe 90-95% looks, 5-10% some of that other stuff you mentioned.  I didn't really read much of it after "onion."  My gosh did you even look at that photo?  :dribble:

:unsure: Well I guess as long as the wifey's hot then I guess that's okay.  Shrek did seem  pretty happy with his Fiona so who are we to judge an onion who has layers?

d26c402bb8.jpeg

55 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That is so shallow... It's not all about the looks! 

Mrs Fat Unicyclist has so many more layers to her - like an onion?

She cooks like a chef - in fact, when I moved in, I put on 20# in 6 months. 

Her specialty is dessert / chocolate - which was worth mentioning separately. 

She won't let me use the washer / dryer - no seriously, she won't. 

When we go out, she prefers to drive - which means I can drink. 

And yes, she is also hot - almost as hot as my mistress!   ;)

Let me translate that:

1.  She hates your cooking ever since you cooked that roast lamb dish with the super hot volcano sauce so she strives to do it all instead to save her tastebuds.

2.  She's trying to kill you off slowly with diabetes so she can cash in on the insurance money to run off with a Hunkahunkaburninglove type dude.

3.  You turned all of her white blouses and skirts pink so she prefers to do the wash.

4.  You drive your electric unicycle in a straight line better than a four wheeled vehicle so for the sake of the shrubs and trees lining your driveway along with small animals crossing the road she does the driving instead.

5.  She (and the mistress) runs an elevated body temperature when she sees her man careening around the neighbourhood on a one wheeled balancing contraption with blinky lights on it.

:innocent1:

37 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's not all about the looks? :blink:   Whoa, my whole Tinder reality has been based on a lie?  :shock2:  

Okay okay I'd say maybe 90-95% looks, 5-10% some of that other stuff you mentioned.  I didn't really read much of it after "onion."  My gosh did you even look at that photo?  :dribble:

:unsure: Well I guess as long as the wifey's hot then I guess that's okay.  Shrek did seem  pretty happy with his Fiona so who are we to judge an onion who has layers?

d26c402bb8.jpeg

Let me translate that:

1.  She hates your cooking ever since you cooked that roast lamb dish with the super hot volcano sauce so she strives to do it all instead to save her tastebuds.

2.  She's trying to kill you off slowly with diabetes so she can cash in on the insurance money to run off with a Hunkahunkaburninglove type dude.

3.  You turned all of her white blouses and skirts pink so she prefers to do the wash.

4.  You drive your electric unicycle in a straight line better than a four wheeled vehicle so for the sake of the shrubs and trees lining your driveway along with small animals crossing the road she does the driving instead.

5.  She (and the mistress) runs an elevated body temperature when she sees her man careening around the neighbourhood on a one wheeled balancing contraption with blinky lights on it.

:innocent1:

Ha ha ha ha...

1. For the record, I can boil toast with the best of them! 
  2. There is an element of smothering and/or strangulation - but I don't think she's serious... 
  3. Do laundry appliances have a feature to change colours? That's awesome!
  4. I'll have you know that I am extremely focused while I am driv... Oh look - shiny thing!!!
  5. You're right about that - sometimes they get all weak at the knees and have to hold each other up... When that happens I know that we are only two bikinis and one tub of jelly away from a great night.  :w00t2:

Oh and yes, we did see the photo - Mrs and Mistress FU talked about it and decided that we can discuss options. So do you have her email address? 

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You Kiwis sure are kinky!  :dribble::popcorn:

If the gumboot fits !!!

Besides, who am I to override the wishes of "she's who must be obeyed" ???

On 15/11/2016 at 1:34 AM, Greg Spalding said:

So I have just heard that we have over 2600 aftershocks since the earthquake on Monday morning...

I missed a few, being in Auckland. But am actually quite happy being back home (regardless of the trembling)!

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So I have just heard that we have over 2600 aftershocks since the earthquake on Monday morning...

I missed a few, being in Auckland. But am actually quite happy being back home (regardless of the trembling)!

That really is unbelievable.

I hope those places lying in close proximity to THE RING OF FIRE will be okay for a long time to come

6 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

That really is unbelievable.

I hope those places lying in close proximity to THE RING OF FIRE will be okay for a long time to come

For the last few days our biggest problem has actually been weather - torrential rain and flooding (though this is probably worse because of the earthquake).

But now that is clearing, we are mindful of what comes next. The odds of a significant "sequel" being a lot higher than you might expect...

http://info.geonet.org.nz/display/quake/2016/11/14/M7.8+Kaikoura+Quake%3A+Future+Scenarios+and+Aftershock+Forecasts

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:15 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Maybe not, the new proposed date is when I will be out of town... But still working on that...

So this is where I live now...  Bonus points for anyone who can correctly pronounce "Maungaraki."

And here is where the filming was. 

About 11km up the valley. 

"Maungaraki" Did that sound right?

8 hours ago, 16bitSprite said:

"Maungaraki" Did that sound right?

I don't think that typing quite reflects the true pronounciation... 

To qualify for the competition, audio clips must be submitted...

So we're getting for a week on, and I look out the window to see this...

PSX_20161120_084723.jpg

<sorry about the poor quality>

No, I don't think it's an invasion... There was a multi-national naval event underway at the time of the earthquake, so they rocked a bunch of warships down to Kaikoura (the worst hit area) to help out. 

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11750203

Now it looks like they're stopping in to Wellington on the way back up north.

Thanks Australia, Canada and USA! Reps all around. 

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So we're getting for a week on, and I look out the window to see this...

PSX_20161120_084723.jpg

<sorry about the poor quality>

No, I don't think it's an invasion... There was a multi-national naval event underway at the time of the earthquake, so they rocked a bunch of warships down to Kaikoura (the worst hit area) to help out. 

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11750203

Now it looks like they're stopping in to Wellington on the way back up north.

Thanks Australia, Canada and USA! Reps all around. 

How nice of you to post this for us. People spend a lot of time making fun of United States and we deserve it not infrequently but I'm glad you showed us that we always step up to the plate to help whenever asked. The world has a lot of problems these days... So much damn fighting about BS religious and secular ideologies. How nice to see folks coming together to help others because that is really what mankind is all about. 

This image in your description about it really made my day and I'm happy that the recovery is underway for your beautiful country

Archived