Is my ks18 dead?

felixtm.com

Try motor connections, ie. 3 main motor wires onto the board and the 5 wire motor control plug on side of board... if yours is the model with quick connect junction, check also   ... However, am almost certain its the board itself. Contact your supplier 

I have to agree with Hunka Hunka on this one. It sounds like the nut that is at the center of the wheel is loose and your kingsong doesnt know what to do because of it. just remove all the plastic pieces and get to the center nut and tighten it.

youll need something like this HAZET_4680-1.jpg

Loose bolts, I had the same on a 16A but it never died on me. Try to hold the wheel steady and rock the fotstands to see if you have any play there. I could not feel any play until I took it apart and then it was obvious.

Also check if the controller board is lose. A loose controller board will have much the same effect as loose pedals. The gyros is mounted on the board and could give wrong feedback if the board or the pedals are loose.

The pedals are the link between the motor and the casing, and the controller board is the link between the casing and the gyros. If either of these two links are loose (or if the gyros or parts of the motor should be loose - which is much less probable), the result is that the link between the motor and the gyros is loose which easily introduces instability in the control loop.

2 hours ago, Frode said:

Also check if the controller board is lose. A loose controller board will have much the same effect as loose pedals. The gyros is mounted on the board and could give wrong feedback if the board or the pedals are loose.

The pedals are the link between the motor and the casing, and the controller board is the link between the casing and the gyros. If either of these two links are loose (or if the gyros or parts of the motor should be loose - which is much less probable), the result is that the link between the motor and the gyros is loose which easily introduces instability in the control loop.

KS glue their boards to the casing as well as screw them. Extremely unlikely to be a loose horizontal mounted board.

On 10/11/2016 at 5:42 PM, swvision said:

I have to agree with Hunka Hunka on this one. It sounds like the nut that is at the center of the wheel is loose and your kingsong doesnt know what to do because of it. just remove all the plastic pieces and get to the center nut and tighten it.

youll need something like this HAZET_4680-1.jpg

KS pedal posts are not secured with a centre nut thankfully, (use double flat motor shaft and clamp the posts with Allen bolts)

11 hours ago, Peter Brierley said:

KS glue their boards to the casing as well as screw them. Extremely unlikely to be a loose horizontal mounted board.

It was and is not glued in my KS-16 at least (which was bought this summer). I was there at the workshop when they mounted a new board because the original one failed. The original one was not glued and they did not glue the new one. What however is glued is the large capacitor. It is glued to the board (or actually I think it is glued to the heat sink.

11 hours ago, Peter Brierley said:

use double flat motor shaft and clamp the posts with Allen bolts

Yes, and this is in my opinion a very bad design. Mine have loosened several times :(

It is not only that it is a clamp, but in addition there is a large slot for the motor cable in the upper clamp, the contact surface with the axle of the upper clamp is therefore only half of that of the lower one, and in addition it is the inner half (i.e. outer half is takenb away). With the relatively long arm from the foot board (holding the weight of a rider) up to the clamp, and also because of the way the force acts on the clamp through the pedal arm, there will be huge forces acting on that tiny little surface (open up and take a look). It would have been much better if the two pedals on each side had been linked together as a bracket - but they are not. Each pedal is only clamped on the axle tip on its side of the wheel. I almost didn't believe it when I first saw it. :huh:

Actually, because of how the link between the pedal and the wheel is designed, I don't think it is likely that you will get the type of erratic behavior that the original poster describes. It would require the pedal to become very loose. When my pedal have loosened, the pedal arm will start to bend inwards and scratch the motor housing (wheel side) when I run into bumps or over edges. It sounds like something is loose. But if you inspect it, it is not obvious that the pedal is loose. If the pedals was so loose from the axle that it would generate the type of behaviour shown here I believe the pedals would've scratch the wheel every so often with a rider mounted on the wheel, maybe even the whole time. That is why I suspect a loose controller board to be the culprit.

In my opinion that is... :D

And please excuse my English. It is not my native language :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23.11.2016 at 8:13 PM, MetricUSA said:

The two pedals is more or less linked together through the plastic body...

Yes, but that does not add any to the stiffness of the construction since that is a rather weak "bracket". I beleive that if it was not for the much stiffer link between the pedals through the wheel axle (i.e the pedals were only linked through the plastic shell), the plastic would have cracked long before 100 miles, maybe even before 10 miles. And they would probably have scraped the motor housing from the beginning. This is also why there is trouble even if the slack in the axle mount is almost invisible at the axle mount end of the pedals. You have to inspect the movement of the pedal in the opposite end of the axle to actually see that a pedal is loose. It takes only a few milimeters in this pedal end before it starts to scrape the motor housing.

;-)

@felixtm 

did you find out what the problem is? 

I also woul say its one of the 3 motor cables which has no contact.

maybe someone else here can tell me what the 4th wire from the motor (a small connector with 5 wires pluged to the board) is doing? 

Also my wheel is shuddering slightly but only when it stands still. 

But I guess tahts normal ?!?

On 5.1.2017 at 3:20 PM, Adlers83 said:

maybe someone else here can tell me what the 4th wire from the motor (a small connector with 5 wires pluged to the board) is doing? 

Those will be the cables connecting the hall sensors in the motor to the control board. Tey are needed so the software can determine, if, and how fast and in which direction the wheel is turning at any moment, plus which of the magnetic poles is aligned with wich engine coil, so the software can determine how much electricity to feed to which wire.

Archived