Why did I fall off the ninebot mini?

So I fell backwards while taking the ninebot mini over a small 'gap' in the pavement near my apartment. 

I thought that the ninebot mini would have no problem getting over the gap but apparently I was wrong. As I moved over the gap, the ninebot tilted back abruptly and threw me backwards, landing on my back. Thankfully I didn't hit my head. What was strange was that after I fell off the ninebot, the device continued to charge full speed ahead until it hit a wall.

Now my question is.. Why did this happen? Is the ninebot mini not suitable for crossing such simple obstacles? Or am I riding it wrong? After the fall I kinda have a mistrust of the device and the self balancing mechanism. Anyone with a similar experience? 

IMG_2395.JPG

My gliding has shown me that speed is your friend on smaller bumps.

i am guessing you were rolling backwards slowly. If you had been rolling forward slowly over the bump I suspect you would have noticed the bump to be a bit more prominent but would have shifted your legs to add that little oomph needed that you really can't do backwards.

Please don't give up on the Mini-pro just turn around and go forward rather than backing up in questionable areas.

i am 6'1" 255 lbs and the mini-pro has been treating me well once I fell enough times to figure out MY limits...

34 minutes ago, P99Guy said:

My gliding has shown me that speed is your friend on smaller bumps.

i am guessing you were rolling backwards slowly. If you had been rolling forward slowly over the bump I suspect you would have noticed the bump to be a bit more prominent but would have shifted your legs to add that little oomph needed that you really can't do backwards.

Please don't give up on the Mini-pro just turn around and go forward rather than backing up in questionable areas.

i am 6'1" 255 lbs and the mini-pro has been treating me well once I fell enough times to figure out MY limits...

Hey thanks for the reply.. But I was actually travelling forward over the gap, but for some reason the ninebot tilted backwards so much that I was thrown on my back. 

Were you going slow? I find that on uphill bumps or sidewalk cracks that if I go too slow the mini-pro will power surge to try and get over the bump causing it to throw me backwards.

I usually use my legs and weight to give the mini a quick little jolt like a kicking motion when I am going too slow like through door ways with high door sills.

But if possible speed is your friend, i find I can handle small bumps or uneven pavement if I am going faster. 

Unfortunately it took falls and fear to get used to it. I am a sissy though so I bought the bigger Ninebot PTR Elite for the horrible sidewalks in my City and I use the mini-pro in stores and at the office or smooth paved areas.

5 hours ago, Smith14 said:

So I fell backwards while taking the ninebot mini over a small 'gap' in the pavement near my apartment. 

I thought that the ninebot mini would have no problem getting over the gap but apparently I was wrong. As I moved over the gap, the ninebot tilted back abruptly and threw me backwards, landing on my back. Thankfully I didn't hit my head. What was strange was that after I fell off the ninebot, the device continued to charge full speed ahead until it hit a wall.

Now my question is.. Why did this happen? Is the ninebot mini not suitable for crossing such simple obstacles? Or am I riding it wrong? After the fall I kinda have a mistrust of the device and the self balancing mechanism. Anyone with a similar experience? 

Sorry to hear about your fall and good to hear you've got though without serious injuries!

I would second the thought about more speed needed to get over such obstacles,

How long have you been riding? I suppose if you are pretty new to whole self-balancing thing - you'll need some practice before you get a feeling about both yours and mini's limits.

Then again is it mini or miniPro? How much do you weigh? Do you know what fw. version your 9b have? I suspect it can be 1.1.7 that is prone to shake off the rider in some situations...

Well you guys are right..I was going slowly over the gap.. Probably around 5km/h. 

I weigh around 65kg and have the latest firmware on the mini.

Looking back, I suppose that the gap was pretty deep for the ninebot (almost like a ditch) and due to the low speed, the ninebot had to auto accelerate to get itself out of the ditch. Somehow the auto acceleration was too much and the speed limited tilted the ninebot back aggressively, causing me to fall backwards. 

The specs say it's capable of a "staircase" of less than 1cm and a "groove width" of less than 3cm.  With some riding experience you get a feel for what it can do - and how best to tackle certain situations - and sometimes the best way is to dismount!  Also, sideways slopes can be tricky even if the surface is smooth.  Make sure you have your knees well bent when going over bumps and keep your body "loose" (which can sometimes be difficult if you are terrified - but if you feel terrified, you should have dismounted!).

The only time I was completely thrown from mine was when I rolled back very slowly but hit a bump behind me (curb edge) and was ejected forwards into a busy road... but fortunately I am here to tell the tale!  Sorry to hear about your fall.

Me too
My first fall, I climbed a slope, I had no battery, I was too fast, the MINI has a tilt back, and I was ejected forward.
I had my protections: elbow, knee
I tore my pants, I was bleeding hands, luckily I had my protections

2 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

The specs say it's capable of a "staircase" of less than 1cm and a "groove width" of less than 3cm.  With some riding experience you get a feel for what it can do - and how best to tackle certain situations - and sometimes the best way is to dismount!  Also, sideways slopes can be tricky even if the surface is smooth.  Make sure you have your knees well bent when going over bumps and keep your body "loose" (which can sometimes be difficult if you are terrified - but if you feel terrified, you should have dismounted!).

The only time I was completely thrown from mine was when I rolled back very slowly but hit a bump behind me (curb edge) and was ejected forwards into a busy road... but fortunately I am here to tell the tale!  Sorry to hear about your fall.

So scary!

On 10/27/2016 at 7:23 PM, Smith14 said:

Or am I riding it wrong?

You just need to ride it more, it takes a lot of practice to learn the capabilities of anything new you are riding.  Thankfully you were not injured more, but be careful.  Give it about 50 hours to be somewhat in tune with the characteristics of the machine.

It took me a long time to trust the machine over even the smallest bump, but eventually you will master it.

You needed to, for this instance, go over it at an angle, one wheel over gap at a time, you got caught and stopped in the gap...I have gone over 5+ cm boat rope one wheel at a time very slowly...

For sideway slopes, you got to lean uphill, as you move across slope, if you don't the mini will force you downhill because it wants to self balance equally between the two wheels...

I disagree about sideways slopes(unless I am misunderstanding you) - my experience is that the miniPro tends to curve in the uphill direction, as when it is tipped over to (say) the right, my right knee therefore presses a little on the steering bar as I naturally keep my body upright, which turns the device slightly to the left, which in this example is uphill.  So I try to keep my right leg slightly bent out of the way but my left leg straight, leading to a slightly odd posture, but who cares so long as it works?  If on the other hand I lean uphill, that would make it steer uphill even more.

On 1.11.2016 at 0:26 AM, Ozpeter said:

I disagree about sideways slopes(unless I am misunderstanding you) - my experience is that the miniPro tends to curve in the uphill direction, as when it is tipped over to (say) the right, my right knee therefore presses a little on the steering bar as I naturally keep my body upright, which turns the device slightly to the left, which in this example is uphill.  So I try to keep my right leg slightly bent out of the way but my left leg straight, leading to a slightly odd posture, but who cares so long as it works?  If on the other hand I lean uphill, that would make it steer uphill even more.

I agree completely with Ozpeters experience, it was also mine.  On sideways slopes I sometimes even had to touch my uphill knee a little bit against the steering bar, otherwise the Mini would go the wrong direction, and it leaded to a slightly unnatural position, but at least it worked.

@Smith14 :  It would be great to see the MiniPro near the gap, just to have a size comparison.

I don't have the MiniPro anymore, but when I rode it across such gaps, I tried to be fast enough and also ease my weight by doing a slight jump (but not an exaggerating one, I still stood on the footpads).  However, if the gap is to wide, this would not help, so it would be good to know how wide it is.

Herman makes a good point - getting some weight off the machine helps with obstacles - personally I bend my knees possibly to a comic degree when traversing an obstacle, but I'd look even more comic falling off.  So the device can move up or down by flexing your bent knees rather than by shifting your whole body.  Suspension of sorts.

Archived