Posting PHOTOS and other media

The following is already in the "Rules" post but it appears that a lot of members didn't notice it.

POSTING MEDIA

This forum is hosted on a server where the total disk space cap is relatively low.  Therefore every forum member's account also has a cap on total disk usage (you will eventually run out of space).  For this reason it is encouraged that you put your large images on reliable external sites such as imgur.com (or equivalent) and embed it back into your posts.  For imgur (you don't have to create an account), if you want to embed the photo into your post, make sure to use the "Direct Link" instead of the "Image Link" given by imgur.  Needless to say, videos go to YouTube (or equivalent) and can be embedded back into your posts here.

To "embed" all you have to do is copy and paste the link to the body of your post (wherever you want it) and hit enter.

6 hours ago, LanghamP said:

How do I get rid of old photos from my previous posts? 

Don't know about mobile phones, but at least on a "normal" browser, click your username on the top right corner, where you'd go to edit your profile or whatever, and select My Attachments. Although it seems only to list them, I don't know if there's a faster way, but it seems you'd have to go through the posts containing the files one by one, and edit them to delete attachments... <_<  At least that makes them easy to find, but if there's lots of them...

12 minutes ago, esaj said:

Don't know about mobile phones, but at least on a "normal" browser, click your username on the top right corner, where you'd go to edit your profile or whatever, and select My Attachments. Although it seems only to list them, I don't know if there's a faster way, but it seems you'd have to go through the posts containing the files one by one, and edit them to delete attachments... <_<  At least that makes them easy to find, but if there's lots of them...

My option is only to hide but not to edit them. 

9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

My option is only to hide but not to edit them. 

I must confess, I cannot see how to hide them?

I wonder ( @John Eucist?) if this might be falling foul of the time limit on editing posts?

If, as @esaj has said above, you go to ‘my attachments’ . To the right of each photo is a link to its post.

630073FF-FEDC-48DF-9983-13219C1F4933.thumb.jpeg.5d93f88c6a44b7e184021863ef6e5d8a.jpeg

Click on that link to go to that post and then Edit the post.

the images will be at the bottom of the edit screen and should have a wastebin symbol in the bottom right corner to delete them.

5FD31D1F-8AB8-4008-A7F2-14102C74BC67.thumb.jpeg.b186608a36c6deb4d7b01b8db2f31f29.jpeg

Of course, if you cannot still Edit the post you will not be able to do this.

Also, do not forget that deleting a photo is also likely to make the original post meaningless. Recently posts from as far back as 2014 have suddenly become active again, typically when we gain a new member who found the post on a Google search.

Archived