KingSong KS 16S

Blunzn

12 hours ago, dpong said:

Thank-you @May for the information you provided.  So glad your KS16s is up and running.  There are many of us here that would be very happy to hear any other impressions that you have of this new model.  Please tell us whatever you can.  Thanks!

I will only have time for a longer ride over the weekend. I will get back after. Let me know if there are some specific attributes you are interested in.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, May said:

I will only have time for a longer ride over the weekend. I will get back after. Let me know if there are some specific attributes you are interested in.

@May since you are the first we have seen to have this model, any impressions would be read thirstily.  For example, what do you like about it?  Are there things that you do not like about it, or that surprised you?

Kind regards,

dpong

We've got a limited number of KS16s arriving by air this week. Three of these remain unclaimed, 2x in White & 1x in Silver (image below). Specifications on this forum are well known, they will be of the 840Wh/1200W variety with a 35kph max speed—5kph improvement over the previous 800W model. Because of the high airfreight costs, this first batch will be priced at $1,475. 

As an added bonus, we'll be including a new special fast-charger which has the three new features: integrated voltage LCD, variable current from 1-4A, & three partial charge toggle settings 80/90/100%.  

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjTm5lVXo3bFpSOEk

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjNXQ4TzMtY

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjRXdpTDMtS

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjREpzNlFpM

39 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

As an added bonus, we'll be including a new special fast-charger which has the three new features: integrated voltage LCD, variable current from 1-4A, & three partial charge toggle settings 80/90/100%.  

Will you be making the new fast charger alone available?  If so, how much?

On 3/8/2017 at 8:11 AM, Jason McNeil said:

We've got a limited number of KS16s arriving by air this week. Three of these remain unclaimed, 2x in White & 1x in Silver (image below). Specifications on this forum are well known, they will be of the 840Wh/1200W variety with a 35kph max speed—5kph improvement over the previous 800W model. Because of the high airfreight costs, this first batch will be priced at $1,475. 

I can't clearly see the Voltage output on this.  Would this charger be compatible with the KS18B?
(Is the balance charging being performed when it's charging to 80% and 90%?)

Allen

7 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

I can't clearly see the Voltage output on this.  Would this charger be compatible with the KS18B?
(Is the balance charging being performed when it's charging to 80% and 90%?)

itis 67,2 Volt with 1 to 4 Amps...

Sure, if it is for the 16s it works on all KS 67 volt!

Balancing never works if not charged to 100%! but you are not in need for balancing every load...

all 10-20 charges is enough....

@Jason McNeil Nice charger! perfect for us!

6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

itis 67,2 Volt with 1 to 4 Amps...

Sure, if it is for the 16s it works on all KS 67 volt!

Balancing never works if not charged to 100%! but you are not in need for balancing every load...

all 10-20 charges is enough....

@Jason McNeil Nice charger! perfect for us!

Does the charging cable have the same pin configuration between the KS16s and the KS18B ?
(Just making sure. As an example,  I believe that Inmotion changed the V8 charging pin configuration this past year and I don't know if KingSong has the same charging pin configuration on all of it's models.)

Allen

If my conversion is right, basically a 1680wh battery is a 25.1Ah battery.
And, say starting from 0% (no battery should ever be that though), it would take about 12.5 hours to charge a 1680wh battery to 100% at a 2A rate of charge.

Correct ?
(Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Just trying to figure out the max amount of time it could possibly take to charge a 1680wh battery at different charge rates since it's usually accepted that charging a lipo battery at a slower charge rate will extend the life of the battery.)

Allen

5 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

If my conversion is right, basically a 1680wh battery is a 25.1Ah battery.
And, say starting from 0% (no battery should ever be that though), it would take about 12.5 hours to charge a 1680wh battery to 100% at a 2A rate of charge.

Correct ?
(Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Just trying to figure out the max amount of time it could possibly take to charge a 1680wh battery at different charge rates since it's usually accepted that charging a lipo battery at a slower charge rate will extend the life of the battery.)

Allen

Ok, you do not have to worry about a 4 amp charge!

you have 8! parallel Systems in your ks18....(16s8p)....that share the 4 amp....

So each system/pack only gets just a 0,5 Amp!

a 1c rating on the 3500mah cells is 3,5 Amp...a half "c" load, which is called a slow and not live shortening charge, would be 1,75 Amp! 

so with 0,5 Amp on one seriell pack....you are doing much, much less than a half c load...just less than a third of a slow charge!

i do the time math as follows:

2 amps is 120Watt...1680wh/120w= 14hour

4 amps is 240watt...double as fast....

i am charging my 1360wh Ks18 and 1160wh V3 mostly with 4 amps...

more than 5amps is possible, but not good for the BMS, chargeport or wiring of the wheel!

28 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Does the charging cable have the same pin configuration between the KS16s and the KS18B ?
(Just making sure. As an example,  I believe that Inmotion changed the V8 charging pin configuration this past year and I don't know if KingSong has the same charging pin configuration on all of it's models.)

Allen

yes , they are same on all Ks, and even same on all GW 67 Volt!

25 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Ok, you do not have to worry about a 4 amp charge!

you have 8! parallel Systems in your ks18....(16s8p)....that share the 4 amp....

So each system/pack only gets just a 0,5 Amp!

a 1c rating on the 3500mah cells is 3,5 Amp...a half "c" load, which is called a slow and not live shortening charge, would be 1,75 Amp! 

so with 0,5 Amp on one seriell pack....you are doing much, much less than a half c load...just less than a third of a slow charge!

i do the time math as follows:

2 amps is 120Watt...1680wh/120w= 14hour

4 amps is 240watt...double as fast....

i am charging my 1360wh Ks18 and 1160wh V3 mostly with 4 amps...

more than 5amps is possible, but not good for the BMS, chargeport or wiring of the wheel!

Thanks for the response.
I may in the not to distant future get on of those new chargers from Jason.  I just like the idea of being able to charge at 2A and let it charge overnight to help prolong the life of the batteries.

Thanks again.

Allen

17 hours ago, abinder3 said:

While for the experienced forum hands, it should be alright, allowing the User to set the voltage is too risky. 80/90/100% toggle switch is a safer option, since there can't be much harm in undercharging the Wheel. Yep, these will be compatible with just about any 64 cell, 67.2v Wheel with a GX16 3-pin connector. 

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

While for the experienced forum hands, it should be alright, allowing the User to set the voltage is too risky. 80/90/100% toggle switch is a safer option, since there can't be much harm in undercharging the Wheel. Yep, these will be compatible with just about any 64 cell, 67.2v Wheel with a GX16 3-pin connector. 

Thanks for the response Jason. 

Allen

Does anyone know if the 1200 Watt KS16S (sport) is to replace the current 800 Watt KS16 -or- will the 800 Watt continue production and be sold alongside the sport? 

18 hours ago, dpong said:

Does anyone know if the 1200 Watt KS16S (sport) is to replace the current 800 Watt KS16 -or- will the 800 Watt continue production and be sold alongside the sport? 

as you still can get an KS18 800 Watt .....i would guess that the KS16 800 will also continue....i heard so!

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:02 PM, May said:

I had some longer rides this weekend: Overall about 60 Km in two days. Again, I only have experience with one other wheel, the IPS T350/121, and in comparison the KS-16S feels very stable. I have been mainly using the play mode and compared to the T350 the KS-16S feels extremely "stiff" meaning that the pedals remain quite level even during acceleration and deceleration. I would say that the learning mode of the KS-16S is still stiffer than the "sport" mode of the T350. It takes some getting used to but then it actually gives a better riding experience.

I have tried to push the wheel a bit. I was able to go ~35 km/h sustained even against some head-wind without problem. I climbed a small but steep hill - you had to really push on your toes but it managed to climb up. I also tried to check power usage during quick acceleration: I managed to go up to ~1100 W on the live readout. It felt already pretty decent acceleration and apparently there is room for more.

The grip tape on the pedals work really good. It doesn't feel slippery at all - is actually hard to adjust your feet while standing on the wheel. There is a piece of foam on both pedals. I'm not sure what the idea is but those feel a bit strange. Also they get squashed pretty quickly. The pedals are a bit higher than on the T350. The difference is not much but it is important: The wheels don't touch the ground even during very tight turns. One more note: The pedals seem very light - almost too light (and fragile). I hope they prove to be strong enough... 

I have two small issues:

1. I had some problem with the level calibration. After the first attempt the wheel seemed to lose the level setting after usage. It turned out, however, that it was probably my fault. I checked a calibration guideline on this forum and on the second day I paid special attention to keep the wheel perfectly vertical during calibration. After this the wheel feels OK now.
  2. There is a quite significant difference in the wheel's speed meter versus GPS speed measurement. I tested it on completely straight and level road and it seems that the wheel shows 5-10% higher speed than GPS. It is not a major issue but it means that warnings and tilt-back kick in a bit earlier than they should.

@May - Thank-you for your impressions!  I am watching this model very closely for a possible purchase.  I am glad it feels stable.  Any further impressions are very much welcome.  Thank-you. 

So you said that you were able to do 35KM/h, was that GPS or App verified? This is concerning if it's app verified and you're getting 5-10% higher speed than the GPS. If this was App verified, that would mean you would be doing about 30KM/H which would be the same as the KS-16. I hope this isn't true being I just ordered this specifically because of the higher speed. It would be a shame if King Song fudged with the App to make it "look" as if it were faster.

1 hour ago, Xelvic said:

So you said that you were able to do 35KM/h, was that GPS or App verified? This is concerning if it's app verified and you're getting 5-10% higher speed than the GPS. If this was App verified, that would mean you would be doing about 30KM/H which would be the same as the KS-16. I hope this isn't true being I just ordered this specifically because of the higher speed. It would be a shame if King Song fudged with the App to make it "look" as if it were faster.

Well, I stated ~35 km/h... According to the app my max speed was over 36. (This means I had to lean against the tiltback). GPS was showing around 34.

By the way as far as I see the app lets you change the max speed up to 40. I just don't want to set it beyond 35. 

Archived