Charge doctor V2 autoshutdown

Cloud

Guys, did you realize you can use charge doctor to autoshutdown the charging process not only by defining the cut off Current but also by defining the cut off Voltage?

It is not found in the instructions to the charge doctor, in fact instructions imply it cannot be done. I didnt realize this until yesterday when i stumbked upon it accidentally.

in the autoshutdown adjustment mode, toggle the button until you reach Parameter 2 screen. Parameter 2 in the instructions is described as left for future use, when in fact it toggles between voltage and current for autoshutdown. Press button to change it to voltage, and then set the voltage in the other screen just like you would be adjusting the Current.

here's the link to hobby's instructions, but they only descibe autoshutdown by current and say that Par 2 was reserved for future use.

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/02/06/charge-doctor-v2-10a-3/

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Guys, did you realize you can use charge doctor to autoshutdown the charging process not only by defining the cut off Current but also by defining the cut off Voltage?

It is not found in the instructions to the charge doctor, in fact instructions imply it cannot be done. I didnt realize this until yesterday when i stumbked upon it accidentally.

in the autoshutdown adjustment mode, toggle the button until you reach Parameter 2 screen. Parameter 2 in the instructions is described as left for future use, when in fact it toggles between voltage and current for autoshutdown. Press button to change it to voltage, and then set the voltage in the other screen just like you would be adjusting the Current.

here's the link to hobby's instructions, but they only descibe autoshutdown by current and say that Par 2 was reserved for future use.

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/02/06/charge-doctor-v2-10a-3/

This "voltage" shutdown only runs on versions from 2.03 on! version is shown on start of cd.

it does not run on 2.01 and 2.02(which i have :-( ), these versions only have amperage shutdown!

I know this from a conversation with hobby16 last week...

59 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

This "voltage" shutdown only runs on versions from 2.03 on! version is shown on start of cd.

it does not run on 2.01 and 2.02(which i have :-( ), these versions only have amperage shutdown!

Looks like you are right. I just plugged in mine and it displayed version 2.03

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

Looks like you are right. I just plugged in mine and it displayed version 2.03

2.01 and 2.02 where the early adptoters of CD V2 with double input....i was to fast buying :-(

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

2.01 and 2.02 where the early adptoters of CD V2 with double input....i was to fast buying :-(

double input? So you can connect two chargers? I wish i had that option :( 

15 hours ago, Cloud said:

Yes - I've mentioned this a couple of times here in forums that from version 2.03 it's possible to set cut-off by voltage and even in two directions - going up (when charging) or going down (when discharging / testing the battery capacity). The only problem is that the maximum voltage is (I think) 80 so can't use this option to charge 20s wheels like V5, V8 or MS3 84V ... I was about to ask Fred to increase the top voltage limit to 100 (for future versions) and also to include "double" cut-off - e.g. voltage and current (whichever come first).

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2016 at 2:41 PM, HEC said:

Yes - I've mentioned this a couple of times here in forums that from version 2.03 it's possible to set cut-off by voltage and even in two directions - going up (when charging) or going down (when discharging / testing the battery capacity). The only problem is that the maximum voltage is (I think) 80 so can't use this option to charge 20s wheels like V5, V8 or MS3 84V ... I was about to ask Fred to increase the top voltage limit to 100 (for future versions) and also to include "double" cut-off - e.g. voltage and current (whichever come first).

Would you mind to share the benefit of using Voltage instead of Current as the cut-off? I have always thought that they are both related in the world of charging, so there should be no different? :unsure:

28 minutes ago, z3n said:

Would you mind to share the benefit of using Voltage instead of Current as the cut-off? I have always thought that they are both related in the world of charging, so there should be no different? :unsure:

chargers first charge at constant current and increasing voltage, then when the battery cells reach a certain voltage, the charger keeps the charging voltage about the same and starts lowering the current. You can set the cut off by the current but by the time the current starts dropping your battery will be at 85-95% full already. If you want to autoshut down before the battery reaches this level, say at 70%,  you will need to set the autoshutdown by voltage. This way you will be able to "catch" the exact voltage you want to shut off at, before the battery is almist full

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

chargers first charge at constant current and increasing voltage, then when the battery cells reach a certain voltage, the charger keeps the charging voltage about the same and starts lowering the current. You can set the cut off by the current but by the time the current starts dropping your battery will be at 85-95% full already. If you want to autoshut down before the battery reaches this level, say at 70%,  you will need to set the autoshutdown by voltage. This way you will be able to "catch" the exact voltage you want to shut off at, before the battery is almist full

Thank you for your detailed and easy to understand explanation.

So if I only want the auto shutdown to be at around 90% for every charge, then it's basically no difference between those 2 right?

1 hour ago, z3n said:

Thank you for your detailed and easy to understand explanation.

So if I only want the auto shutdown to be at around 90% for every charge, then it's basically no difference between those 2 right?

It is basically no difference like Cloud said...also:

I find it easier to set a voltage, as it is easier to calculate 90% for a voltage....

To find out what 90% means on amperage-cutting you normaly have to get some experience or watch the charging, to find out where the amperage Needs to be cut to get to the result you want.....

This is for me the biggest difference between these to cut methods.....

But in the end they both do the same!

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

It is basically no difference like Cloud said...also:

I find it easier to set a voltage, as it is easier to calculate 90% for a voltage....

To find out what 90% means on amperage-cutting you normaly have to get some experience or watch the charging, to find out where the amperage Needs to be cut to get to the result you want.....

This is for me the biggest difference between these to cut methods.....

But in the end they both do the same!

There is a bit of trial and error also needed to set the autoshutdown by voltage. Charge doctor will show the voltage of the charger, not the battery. And voltage of the charger will be slightly higher. So if you want your battery to be charged to say 64v, then you probably will need to set the charger autoshutdown voltage to around 66v or so. If there is a way to test battery voltage after the charger has been disconnected, then i would experiment to see what is the charger voltage ( as shown in the charge doctor reading) ehich corresponds to the battery voltage you want.

Archived