King Song KS-14D

John Eucist

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/26/2016 at 4:52 PM, Cloud said:

Having one's life at the mercy of a cheap chinese fuse is not a good design. There should not ever be a situation during normal use ( riding ) which woukd demand a current of the sufficient level that would cause the fuse to burn.

I agree, the fuse seems like compensation for inadequate design.

Tina, can there be some sort of automatic resetting surge protector to protect the control board in the event of over-current?  We do want the control board protected, but if the event is brief it would be nice if the circuit can return to normal operation in order to protect the rider.  I don't know if there's some sort of quick self-resetting fuse that can respond fast enough and relatch before the balance is lost.  Or maybe a design that detects when the fuse is blown to revert to a secondary circuit with a secondary fuse to continue functioning?

Finally we agree on something!  :lol:  (Got the idea from watching "Ironman" - you know when Tony switches to secondary circuits when his suit malfunctions?  He doesn't go crashing into the ground right?)  We need a J.A.R.V.I.S. onboard!

@esaj replied a bit about it when I asked in this thread:

10 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Finally we agree on something!  :lol:  (Got the idea from watching "Ironman" - you know when Tony switches to secondary circuits when his suit malfunctions?  He doesn't go crashing into the ground right?)  We need a J.A.R.V.I.S. onboard!

Thats what i thought. You watch sci fi too much. Its movies, its not real life yet :) Tina cant get you the iron man costume :( not for another year or two....

i dont know if you are going in the right direction with the double fuse suggestion. You either have to let the motor / CB use all those ampers or ...not.

The board simply has to be able to withstand the ampers that the motor can support. Anything above can be limited to the max. There Just should be a device ( current limiter?) limiting to the max current ( which is outside of the normall operating range).  If the current is higher than what the motor can support anyway, then there is no point in allowing this current to flow.

the CB needs to be made of more quality parts that can take higher current. 

Redunduncy is great too, but id guess its not gonna happen for a couple more years

:blink:  Not... not real life?  :blink:  

2b33db149d.jpg

But it's so real!  I base all my ideas from Sci-fi!  Didn't you notice?  ;)

Actually, we get a lot of stuff inspired from Sci-fi.  Remember the communicators in the original Star Trek series?  Yep we got flip phones.  Remember the robots from Silent Running?  We got bomb squad robots that do our bidding.  Remember HAL from A Space Odyssey: 2001?  We got IBM's Watson computer playing Jeopardy:

I guess one has to identify the situations where there is an overload situation and try to see how to plan for it.  I'm no electronicsologist, but there must be some way to design a circuit to operate under normal conditions and be able to protect itself from an abnormal one.  Take for example, helicopters or high tech aircraft.  They have critical systems which they rely on to stay functioning.  If they get struck by lightning, the electronics can't just blow fuses and shut down... there must be a better way to eliminate control board and MOSFET burnouts somehow.

I think it likely will take some money towards engineering a new solution before we'll see some dramatic changes.  These fuses and 12 MOSFETS designs seem like a stop gap measure that's not really completely thought out.  We're still in the early years of EUC design so I'm hopeful for the future.  There's always a smart electrical engineer out there who can improve upon things.  I'm sure of it.

4 hours ago, Cloud said:

I remember telling Tina before it became a feature, to not incorporate " hello kingsong" into their firmware. She thought it was cute to hear on powering on. I told her that euc riders dont want to be cute, they want to be cool. I guess i didnt win the argument then.

I don't mind being cute, but I find it disputable that the cuteness factor is very high :). If I am out late at night and put my wheel on and hear this strange salute echoing all over the city, I doubt all people staring at me do this because they think I am cute.... or cool... :|

41 minutes ago, flass said:

I don't mind being cute, but I find it disputable that the cuteness factor is very high :). If I am out late at night and put my wheel on and hear this strange salute echoing all over the city, I doubt all people staring at me do this because they think I am cute.... or cool... :|

Its only cute in china)

5 hours ago, Cloud said:

I remember telling Tina before it became a feature, to not incorporate " hello kingsong" into their firmware. She thought it was cute to hear on powering on. I told her that euc riders dont want to be cute, they want to be cool. I guess i didnt win the argument then.

It doesn't make sense to begin with.  I don't go around saying "Hello John" when I'm John.

EDIT: Apparently @MoNo already pointed this out (in a different way).

7 hours ago, John Eucist said:

It doesn't make sense to begin with.  I don't go around saying "Hello John" when I'm John.

EDIT: Apparently @MoNo already pointed this out (in a different way).

I believe it was intended to be a short version of " Hello. I am kingsong"

18 hours ago, 9Bot1 said:

Personally 420wh isn't enough, I need at least 840wh to feel unconstrained riding around Silicon Beach on a typical work day. I just ordered a 3rd KS14c from @Jason McNeil today before they're all gone ;).

Three KS14C wheels nice! I think however if someone would never use more range then 420Wh anyway, it brings less weight and size for better portability! If you want a heavier and larger wheel that's where the KS16S comes in! Otherwise this would not be much different than taking the tire out of a KS16 and putting in a 14" in the same shell?

• 3 weeks later...
On 26.10.2016 at 6:16 PM, Chriull said:

This should be the case with a perfectly designed motherboard and firmware. If the fuse is the absolute last resort for extreme cases like cable insulations gone, etc...

But if the fuse gets blown in "normal" use cases like high load/ overload that is _absolutely_ _bad_ design!

A faceplant with an firmware that regulated the mosfets down before they could burn and before the fuse was blown.

And this together with a firmware that warned before (or at least at the moment it could have been known), so the faceplant was just my last will...

No. Absolutely not. There are many cases were a fuse can be very usefull and prevent unwanted situations. But as they get blown while driving like ?now (did not here of blown fuses with the actual firmware...)?/some firmwares before that was absolutely bad design...

I think if battery pack produce 40A (but can be possible little more because we don't know that every each cell give 10A and no more) so the fuse 40A is too week. 

What I see:

1. The CB should manage 50A

2. Fuse 45A for 40A battery pack.

Whelllog app logs shows some times more than 40A consumption. That is risky to burn out the fuse, even more likely in a very warm day.

I mean about KS16 680 Wh example.

• 5 months later...

Kingsong 14d is the best monocicle of the market. I thing so, becouse I ride in there 4000 KM and any problems. 0 problems in 4000 KM it's only possible with a KS. Great build and great creation, Congratulations Kingsong!!!

Archived