King Song KS-14D

John Eucist

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

The fuse will only burn if otherwise the board would burn....

So what do you like more? An eventual faceplant with an destroyed board or an faceplant with an destroyed replaceable fuse? :-)

A Fuse is not always an bad design....

I wish my Ninebot had a fuse. The board started burning after the wheel got impacted under a park bench. 

How this happened? I was riding backwards and wanted to sit down on the bench. Unfortunately I was a little to fast so the wheel got under the bench - just a little but enough the wheel wasn't balanced. So the machine tried to get the balance back and pushed the motor until the mosfets started to burn. This happend in a few seconds - to long until I switched off... ;-) 

15 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Lefties have rights too.

Are you sure you are riding an EUC not only because you are having a better view from above? :D

1 hour ago, MoNo said:

Limiters such that it becomes off-limits to burn the board. As not all EUCs seem to have fuses, I assume it is possible to design board and controller that they (virtually) never get in a state where the board burns. Any case one can think of a fuse would handle should be handled differently and without turning self-balancing off.

Limiters..aha...

Here we are again at the concept of SelfBalancing...

So you lean hefty in, that you need a torque (which equals amps), that are to much for the board....(or a fuse)

Ok, we go to limit that...torque, amps, what ever you want to call it...

Then you faceplant, because your wheel can not balance you, so in the end its all the same....

you cant limit a EUC

1 hour ago, MoNo said:

Do you have insider information on this? I think you can't really know, as the fuse is meant to react before the board is damaged. It is probably very hard to configure the fuse such that it only burns if the board would have been damaged otherwise.

Nope...no Insider Information...i just know my last 4 wheels...from about a good year of reading all available information, talking to producers, sellers, faceplanters, own experience etc etc...

Kingsong goes the way of the fuse, to protect its board from burning. 

Gotway goes the way of a "nano-milli" second cutout on short overload...(on their last wheels) .....but if you stuck the wheel forever this wont help and the board burns. (on Ks just the fuse blows)

So now someone can say....when you stuck a wheel against a wall and press...why cant the wheel just "go out" or "limit"...

to say it extrem and to perhaps make the desaster understandable:

it does not know if it is stuck to to the wall....or if a heavy user trys to do drive on a 45degree hill......or did an emergency brake...

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Limiters..aha...

Here we are again at the concept of SelfBalancing...

So you lean hefty in, that you need a torque (which equals amps), that are to much for the board....(or a fuse)

Ok, we go to limit that...torque, amps, what ever you want to call it...

Then you faceplant, because your wheel can not balance you, so in the end its all the same....

you cant limit a EUC

Nope...no Insider Information...i just know my last 4 wheels...from about a good year of reading all available information, talking to producers, sellers, faceplanters, own experience etc etc...

Kingsong goes the way of the fuse, to protect its board from burning. 

Gotway goes the way of a "nano-milli" second cutout on short overload...(on their last wheels) .....but if you stuck the wheel forever this wont help and the board burns. (on Ks just the fuse blows)

So now someone can say....when you stuck a wheel against a wall and press...why cant the wheel just "go out" or "limit"...

to say it extrem and to perhaps make the desaster understandable:

it does not know if it is stuck to to the wall....or if a heavy user trys to do drive on a 45degree hill......or did an emergency brake...

@KingSong69. I kinda agree with @MoNo on this one. Yes you cannot limit an euc within its operating range. But if you are outside of the normal operating range and the current/ torque you are demanding is due to abnormal conditions ( wheel stuck somewhere etc) then i dont see a problem having a limit for the current.

in my opinion, the board has to have quality parts that are capable of withstanding the temporary abnormal high current without a fuse.  In this scenario its not a choice between which will burn - the fuse or the board. Neither should burn. Alternatively, limiting the current which is far above the wheel's normal operating demands may be acceptable also. 

Having one's life at the mercy of a cheap chinese fuse is not a good design. There should not ever be a situation during normal use ( riding ) which woukd demand a current of the sufficient level that would cause the fuse to burn.

1 hour ago, One said:

I wish my Ninebot had a fuse. The board started burning after the wheel got impacted under a park bench. 

I do prefer a burned board under a park bench over a fuse that will react just a tiny tiny little bit too fast at 22km/h. To my experience I can feel when the wheel runs out of torque and can pull back. That would be difficult if the fuse was faster than me. 

That you can fry a Ninebot is certainly also a (preventable) design defect, but a less dramatic one than a fuse for a safety relevant function.

If a fuse is guarantied to only burn at 0 (or very very low) speed, fine. Can anyone guaranty this for a Kingsong? As currents go down with increasing speed, this is not even entirely far-fetched. On the other hand, a fuse is an added link in the very chain that should never ever seriously malfunction.

20 minutes ago, MoNo said:

If a fuse is guarantied to only burn at 0 (or very very low) speed, fine. Can anyone guaranty this for a Kingsong?

On the good side, as far as i know, the instances of a burnt fuse on kingsong were all in unusual situations ( not during normal riding ) . I had that happen twice, once when slowly rocking back and forth during a very sharp brake, and the other time when my wheel got stuck under a bench. 

Wow, I wouldn't have thought that getting an EUC stuck under a bench is such a frequent event. I guess it perfectly fits the case where a fuse can be quite useful.

10 minutes ago, MoNo said:

Wow, I wouldn't have thought that getting an EUC stuck under a bench is such a frequent event. I guess it perfectly fits the case where a fuse can be quite useful.

It can be very frequent if you like to ride right up to your seat.  In this diner where i eat sometimes, the bar stools are very low, about the height of my 14 incher. As i ride to it , slow down and sit right on it, sometimes the wheel gets underneath the stool and get stuck being at a slight tilt ( as there is a tilt when you are riding) . As the wheel is stationary it tries to straighten itself out and cant because its stuck tilted. I got lucky every time and was able to turn the stuck wheel off before the fuse burned.  The way it happened with me when the fuse actually burned was on the brooklyn bridge when i rode up to a bench and sat on it. The wheel went right under and the fuse burnt instantly.

I would prefer a fuse too for extreme situations. It protects the board at a moment that the wheel wil fail. So in worst case u have a faceplant but your wheel survives. Without the fuse u stil have a faceplant and a dead wheel;

10 minutes ago, Ponne said:

I would prefer a fuse too for extreme situations. It protects the board at a moment that the wheel wil fail. So in worst case u have a faceplant but your wheel survives. Without the fuse u stil have a faceplant and a dead wheel;

As the design / parts stand now the fuse is useful to save the board.

But the design needs to be upgraded in such a way that you dont get a faceplant and your wheel still survive, and the fuse shouldnt be needed for normal riding situations

:angry:  What is this?   Bother the Full Member + day or something?  I've got @Cloud arguing physics with me when everyone already knows that I'm the expert on frictionless, vacuum of space theory, and now I've got a non "+" member criticizing my beautiful art work which, I might add, took me a long time to pixel draw out in Microsoft "Paint" which is THE standard in handle design imaging software.  

145c3a1021.jpg

Did you take Handle Design 231 in university like I did?  Um, didn't think so.  No.  Next time, please, @steve454, keep your comments in the Full Member's section only.  I'm only reading your post because you have a Ninebot One E+ which kinda allows you to post here.  I suppose.  Hmmm your post has made me hungry for another Teen burger and frosty root beer.  I'll just drop by on the way home for one... I might not even eat it... I might just toss it in the garbage... 

EDIT:. Oooh that sounded kinda crazy.  Looking back, this post was actually meant to be funny, but it kind of sounded mad crazy instead.  :D  I hope no one read too much into it as it was supposed to be a joke in response to my etch a sketch drawing which yeah it definitely looks like a two year old drew.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Ponne said:

Right, if I ignore the cases where I faceplanted only because I had a fuse, I also prefer to have a fuse. I am just not sure these cases do not exist.

9 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

:angry:  What is this?   Bother the Full Member + day or something?  I've got @Cloud arguing physics with me when everyone already knows that I'm the expert on frictionless, vacuum of space theory, and now I've got a non "+" member criticizing my beautiful art work which, I might add, took me a long time to pixel draw out in Microsoft "Paint" which is THE standard in handle design imaging software.  

Did you take Handle Design 231 in university like I did?  Um, didn't think so.  No.  Next time, please, @steve454, keep your comments in the Full Member's section only.  I'm only reading your post because you have a Ninebot One E+ which kinda allows you to post here.  I suppose.  Hmmm your post has made me hungry for another Teen burger and frosty root beer.  I'll just drop by on the way home for one... I might not even eat it... I might just toss it in the garbage... 

Sorry, wasn't being critical, it actually looked pretty good.  I found an A&W in Grand Prairie, will check it out this weekend.  Thanks for letting me now they are still around:)

Oh :blink: alrighty :( that makes me feel okay then.  Sorry I flew off the handle. :mellow:  I just get all worked up when I think too much about physics.  I'm also a little sensitive about my artwork.  I'm a bit emo that way and slightly low on medication.  :lol:  Actually, Microsoft Paint is very handy.  I use it all the time for stuff.  Have a good time at A&W.  

146d092b1f.jpg

On 10/23/2016 at 7:16 PM, Jason McNeil said:

I told them all this when I was in Shenzhen in June<_<. There's not going to be many 14C owners on this forum who going to think 'oh goodie! This is a compelling upgrade for me', because it simply isn't.

@tinawong I totally agree with @Jason McNeil, I currently own a 14c and not having 48 cells on the 14d is a dealbreaker. If you release the 14d with 48 cells, I'm ready to pre-order now. For me, some features that would be nice to have would be a lift cutoff button when picking up the wheel, a battery and speed display that can be seen from the top of the wheel, and no "Hello Kingsong" on power up.

10 minutes ago, TwixFix said:

[...] and no "Hello Kingsong" on power up.

this seems so embarrassing and then my name is not even Kingsong, though I guess one gets used to be called virtually any name...

38 minutes ago, MoNo said:

this seems so embarrassing and then my name is not even Kingsong, though I guess one gets used to be called virtually any name...

One late summer day when I was out walking I recognized another person driving a Kingsong wheel. I shouted HELLO KINGSONG loud and clear, but got no response.

I am jealous of people who has managed to effectively filter out greetings like this so that they do not even take notice anymore.

37 minutes ago, flass said:

One late summer day when I was out walking I recognized another person driving a Kingsong wheel. I shouted HELLO KINGSONG loud and clear, but got no response.

I am jealous of people who has managed to effectively filter out greetings like this so that they do not even take notice anymore.

I remember telling Tina before it became a feature, to not incorporate " hello kingsong" into their firmware. She thought it was cute to hear on powering on. I told her that euc riders dont want to be cute, they want to be cool. I guess i didnt win the argument then.

On 2016/10/26 at 5:43 AM, One said:

@tinawong Congratulations! This is the best looking EUC I've ever seen - very stylish and clean design. I hope the KS 16C will get a face lift, too. If you offer the design of the KS14 at a KS16 I can definitely say Ninebot will loose a client (me). 

Keep on the good work! 

I am glad that you love the design :-) Any updates of new 14" and 16", I will keep post in this forum :-)

2 minutes ago, tinawong said:

I am glad that you love the design :-) Any updates of new 14" and 16", I will keep post in this forum :-)

@tinawong i think ks14d is the best thing Kingsong has done so far. I think you are going in the right direction. Thanks!

Archived