Help! KS-18A not working!!

BassdudeBTB

I got my KS-18A yesterday and it was working right out of the box. It seemed like it wasn't 100% Level and it was way too responsive to tilt. So I downloaded the app for my iPhone and connected to it. I believe the firmware is Version 4 maybe but I can't check it now because it no longer works. I set the Cycling Mode Setup to Learning Mode. Next, I tried to the Level Calibration since it felt off. I placed a small  level on the top cover and followed the instructions. It beeped and calibrated successfully. The instructions said to restart the Cycle. So i powered it off and once I powered it on again it stopped working! I thought maybe it needed to be charged so I charged it.

The only thing it does now is if you press the power button it tries to turn on I guess because you can hear the speakers tick as if getting power for a second. If I hold the power button it beeps and fills the battery meter in segments of 2 and then once filled it changes beep tone and un-fills 2 segments at a time. If the button is released before all the segments are gone it just turns off instantly. If I hold the button thru this whole cycle it lets me turn the light and bluetooth on but the app is unresponsive. I can't even see the firmware version. Tho motor doesn't respond to tilt or anything.

I checked the fuses today and they are fine. I disconnected the power from the board in hopes to reset it but nothing changed. The unit is 100% charged. I have no idea what to do... It worked for 5 minutes...

Please help I am new to this, this is my first eWheel.

• Upvote 1

Somehiw it appears this hapoened after you downloaded software.

but if software was not in the picture, id say that you may have a defective motor. The same kind of symptoms ( battery indicator behavior) occured on my ks14 when i connected a broken defective motor to it).

Record a video of what haooens when you turn it on and send to seller.

• Upvote 3

That's strange because it worked fine at first. The app worked and the wheel worked... I did contact the seller and he said he will help but also to post on the forum to see if there was a simple fix, since forum members may have more experience. The video idea is a good suggestion. I will do that today. I will try to post the video on here as well. Thanks for your help so far!

- I forgot to mention I reinstalled the app just incase but no change.

- I tried but can't make a small enough video to post here that shows the problem...

Edited by BassdudeBTB

On 22.10.2016 at 11:16 PM, BassdudeBTB said:

I got my KS-18A yesterday and it was working right out of the box. It seemed like it wasn't 100% Level and it was way too responsive to tilt. So I downloaded the app for my iPhone and connected to it. I believe the firmware is Version 4 maybe but I can't check it now because it no longer works. I set the Cycling Mode Setup to Learning Mode. Next, I tried to the Level Calibration since it felt off. I placed a small  level on the top cover and followed the instructions. It beeped and calibrated successfully. The instructions said to restart the Cycle. So i powered it off and once I powered it on again it stopped working! I thought maybe it needed to be charged so I charged it.

The only thing it does now is if you press the power button it tries to turn on I guess because you can hear the speakers tick as if getting power for a second. If I hold the power button it beeps and fills the battery meter in segments of 2 and then once filled it changes beep tone and un-fills 2 segments at a time. If the button is released before all the segments are gone it just turns off instantly. If I hold the button thru this whole cycle it lets me turn the light and bluetooth on but the app is unresponsive. I can't even see the firmware version. Tho motor doesn't respond to tilt or anything.

I checked the fuses today and they are fine. I disconnected the power from the board in hopes to reset it but nothing changed. The unit is 100% charged. I have no idea what to do... It worked for 5 minutes...

Please help I am new to this, this is my first eWheel.

I think this happend because:

on recalibration, you did not wait long enough...it is still in recalibration mode!

when you power on now....hold the button for a good amount of time!

or better go back to recalibration and do it again...

then, when powering on....hold long enough, for 20 seconds or so...

after this is should work again....

recalibration correct way:

you choose it...the wheel folds..and loose its power...

then you turn on again ...holding the button a good very  long time, while having the pedals horizontal, or what you want...if you do not hold long enough...recalib is njot finished

After that, powering on again, and all fine

so it works for me!

Edited by KingSong69

I tried to do what you said for almost an hour. The app won't connect properly, it can't communicate with the wheel. I tried reinstalling the app again & even tried from an Android phone with the app. No luck. I can not enter calibration mode in the app.

I tried holding the power button for several minutes before and after the series beeps. If you press it after the series of beeps it beeps & turns off.  If you hold it after the series of beeps it makes a continuous beep sound until released and turns off. The bluetooth still stays on but nothing else and you still can't connect to it. I was able to see that the iOS app i have is V1.4

- It does not display the series # in the top of the app. 

- I noticed if the bluetooth is on & I tilt the unit towards the power button side the front white light turns off but the red rear light stays on. Once upright it turns back on.

Edited by BassdudeBTB

On 2016/10/23 at 5:16 AM, BassdudeBTB said:

Hi,

This is Tina from King Song.

Could you pls send me an email? tina@szkingsong,com.

Pls kindly advise where you get the sample and the issues details, if any videos, would appreciate.

Cheers

Tina

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, tinawong said:

Hi,

This is Tina from King Song.

Could you pls send me an email? tina@szkingsong,com.

Pls kindly advise where you get the sample and the issues details, if any videos, would appreciate.

Cheers

Tina

I sent a detailed email email! Thanks.

Videos of the issue can be found here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22201154/King Song KS-18A/IMG_5294.MOV

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22201154/King Song KS-18A/IMG_5295.MOV

On 10/23/2016 at 11:45 AM, Cloud said:

Somehiw it appears this hapoened after you downloaded software.

but if software was not in the picture, id say that you may have a defective motor. The same kind of symptoms ( battery indicator behavior) occured on my ks14 when i connected a broken defective motor to it).

Record a video of what haooens when you turn it on and send to seller.

Cloud, did your issue look like this?

Edited by BassdudeBTB

So according to the King Song engineers my gyro on the board is bad.

In case anyone else has this problem refer to the videos above for the symptoms of the unit for this problem.

Hope my misfortune can at least help someone by documenting this issue.

19 hours ago, BassdudeBTB said:

Cloud, did your issue look like this?

Mine was similar but not eactly the same, so probably a different issue. Hope you can get a replacement board soon. In any case., to figure out the problem, the first thing you shoud try is the replacement board, so you are going in the right direction

Edited by Cloud

23 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Mine was similar but not eactly the same, so probably a different issue. Hope you can get a replacement board soon. In any case., to figure out the problem, the first thing you shoud try is the replacement board, so you are going in the right direction

Thank you. I will post my results once I get the new board.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my board on (11/2/16) and installed it. It was easy enough. However, now there seems to be a dead spot, or series of tiny dead spots, in the motor where it rattles and might be losing power...
It seems to not have proper control in that spot and rattles trying to gain control.  I was able to ride it briefly in my hallway and balance on it but the one spot (about 30° span of the motor) seems to have problems... I checked all the Allen screws on the wheel and they were all tight. Nothing is rubbing the plastic, the wheel is free and has clearance all around.

I contacted my seller and sent him some videos. I am waiting for a reply w/ an answer as to whats wrong.

Day 2: I took it outside for a test session. I learned how to balance on it & ride it around in about 10 minutes! It was really intuitive and lots of fun! The dead spot only seems to be a problem when I first turn it on and go slow as I did indoors the first night. After you get up to speed it seems to go away. This is still concerning though, seeing how it may cut out on me while riding... I rode it around up and down my street for about a half hour getting better with my balance and the rattle seems to not be an issue at speed.

Not sure whats happening but does anyone have any idea what this could be? Maybe a small section of the motor has interrupted coils or the magnets are loose or something?

Day 3: I noticed the rattle fades after about 15 or 20 seconds if you just go straight right after turning it on. I believe it has something to do with the capacitors on the board charging up. Once it fades it stays gone until the unit is turned off and on again. The board I got as a replacement has 3 smaller capacitors and my other board had 2 larger ones.

Edited by BassdudeBTB

• 3 years later...