Airbag Bike Helmet?

Snurre

Has anyone ever considered one of these? I saw a newsflash about it around 10 years ago when it was in the conceptual stage. Two women launched the idea targeted at people who are reluctant to wear helmets. I just came to think of it, did a quick search and it turns out it has now reached the market. It would be very interesting to see some experiments with EUC riders. Perhaps a modified design is neccessary but for that the market is probably not big enough (yet).

Homepage:
http://www.hovding.com/?lang=en

• Upvote 3

We were discussing this in another thread here already a few weeks back and Hövding is only usable on normal bicycles as it actively monitors your movement and it's not designed / suitable for any other use. From their FAQ Page:

Can I use Hövding on a moped, on skis, in a car, on a skateboard, with inline skates, etc.?

No. Hövding is only designed for cycling.

Edited by HEC
  • Upvote 2

Yet I would believe this note is more a legal precaution and doesn't address the specific question whether using this airbag while EUCing would actually reduce the risk of head injuries without increasing the risk of accidents. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MoNo said:

Yet I would believe this note is more a legal precaution and doesn't address the specific question whether using this airbag while EUCing would actually reduce the risk of head injuries without increasing the risk of accidents. 

Nope - if you read the detailed info (or talk to someone form the company or knowledgeable resellers) it explains why it can't be used elsewhere:

Hövding is the world's first airbag for cyclists and is the result of intensive research since 2005. Through advanced sensors, Hövding can sense the cyclist's movement patterns and will react in case of an accident. The unique airbag will then inflate, fixate your neck and provide the world's best shock absorption.

Sensors and algorithm

How Hövding tells the difference between biking and accidents:

Thousands of cycling accidents were re-enacted using stunt riders and crash-test dummies to collect the specific movement patterns of cyclists in accidents. In parallel, an equal amount of normal cycling data has been collected using test cyclists wearing Hövding in everyday cycling. Based on this collected data, we have developed an algorithm that can distinguish normal cycling from accidents.

Normal cycling means all the situations and movements that usually happen in a cycling context, bending down to pick up keys, etc.

In the highly unusual category of cycling accident where no measurable movement appears within the cyclist, i.e. if an object falls from above straight down on the cyclist's head, Hövding will not react.

Edited by HEC
  • Upvote 3

Hm...yes, I was thinking how it would react to a face-plant situation - does it inflate quickly enough?. Also, it looks like it is probably good for flat pavement but would be poor to handle penetration from sharper objects like a bicycle handle or the edge of a car door.

@HEC that explains why it is likely to be useful for cycling. It does not provide any evidence though that it could not be beneficial otherwise as well.

25 minutes ago, Snurre said:

I was thinking how it would react to a face-plant situation - does it inflate quickly enough?

IMHO impossible to know with reasonable certainty without testing, or maybe deep insights into the implemented controller are sufficient.

Edited by MoNo

I used to watch an invention show from Canada and I saw another of the airbag unit for bikes and it was attached by a cord that triggered it. These other guys came on promoting a padded baseball cap with ultra thin padding and high impact resistance. Awesome on the down low type protection, they were dope but I haven't seen them out yet. They tested them and they withstand way more impact than you would think!

No they don't look like this. LOL

padres-reliever-becomes-first-to-wear-ba

Edited by Sidestreet Reny
  • Upvote 1

Just now, HEC said:

Yeah - I like that show - some great as well as silly ideas in there ...

The more "off" the person is the better the invention. :) Some are so amazing that I'm dumbfounded by the simple fact that they aren't being used already. Especially the safety oriented ones. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

I’ve been using the Hövding 2.0 with my KS16S, seemingly without issues. The 16S will easily go over 25km/h, but it isn’t a speed demon. If you do have an accident, the helmet will activate in 0.2 seconds, so it should inflate well before you face plant or hit the ground. 

If you’re riding above 40km/h, then a traditional helmet is prolly better. Keep in mind Hövding is rather strict about using the helmet only with 2-wheeled bikes, but my understanding of the sensor system is that it will activate if it detects a sudden fall. That means it will prolly keep your head protected, but it may activate unnecessarily because we often fall, or come close to that, when riding an EUC. Personally I only activate the Hövding when commuting as opposed to playing or doing little tricks with the wheel.