New KS16 firmware - 1.23

IainC

3 hours ago, Robi Bobi said:

That ok plastik bell, I had a metal one. I was afraid to loose my finger if I hook up incidently ;)

That's a good point. I'll remove the screw that tightens the loop and that way if the bell catches on something, it will pull away from my finger rather than pulling my finger away from my hand. 

2 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I love Runbell for this purpose.

https://run-bell.com/

runbell.jpg

That's the real deal, but I didn't know it existed when I bought my bell. It's on my Christmas list now 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I upgraded from 1.20 to 1.23 today. I can confirm that the wheel runs much smoother now. Did any of you guys noticed that with version 1.23 the wheel beeps and tilts back sooner (~1.5Km/h) than before?

Can anybody share 1.20 firmware?

7 minutes ago, Berty said:

I upgraded from 1.20 to 1.23 today. I can confirm that the wheel runs much smoother now. Did any of you guys noticed that with version 1.23 the wheel beeps and tilts back sooner (~1.5Km/h) than before?

Beeps/tiltback are manual settings. They maybe just changed the speed measurement? I did not noticed any difference - but i also did not perform any measurements to compare the speeds.

You checked the speed with full batteries? If the battery is too low Version 1.23 reduces the max speed.

You performed the speed measurement under the same conditions as before (in/decline, headwind, temperature, etc...)?

You had the same tyre pressure + total weight with both measurements? 1,5 km/h difference are 5% of the max speed (30 km/h) - 5% difference of the cirumference would correspond to ~1 cm difference in radius. One centimeter difference in radius with this tyre is maybe a bit much, but taking some measurement inaccuracy/other influences into account this could be part of an explanation?

3 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Beeps/tiltback are manual settings. They maybe just changed the speed measurement? I did not noticed any difference - but i also did not perform any measurements to compare the speeds.

You checked the speed with full batteries? If the battery is too low Version 1.23 reduces the max speed.

You performed the speed measurement under the same conditions as before (in/decline, headwind, temperature, etc...)?

You had the same tyre pressure + total weight with both measurements? 1,5 km/h difference are 5% of the max speed (30 km/h) - 5% difference of the cirumference would correspond to ~1 cm difference in radius. One centimeter difference in radius with this tyre is maybe a bit much, but taking some measurement inaccuracy/other influences into account this could be part of an explanation?

I tested with the same settings (0/0/30/30). Prior to upgrade I deliberately went for a short ride (3Km) and repeated the same ride after upgrade. The only difference was that on the second run the batteries made those 3Km from previous ride. I will test that again with full batteries.

But to my understanding the max speed is reduced to 25Km/h when batteries are at 50%. Am I wrong?

Also observing the KingSong App, the beeping starts now at ~28Km/h not ~29Km/h as before.

24 minutes ago, Berty said:

I tested with the same settings (0/0/30/30). Prior to upgrade I deliberately went for a short ride (3Km) and repeated the same ride after upgrade. The only difference was that on the second run the batteries made those 3Km from previous ride. I will test that again with full batteries.

But to my understanding the max speed is reduced to 25Km/h when batteries are at 50%. Am I wrong?

Also observing the KingSong App, the beeping starts now at ~28Km/h not ~29Km/h as before.

Firmware is only reducing the tiltback to a lower setting when under 50% batterie...

I have this 1.23 now since 4 weeks or so...on my Ks18 all speed and beep settings work like before...i adjust them...and they jump in on my adjustments...not before...

• 2 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎27 at 11:50 AM, Smoother said:

I do exactly the same. 

ab86ad5baa.jpegdoesn't interfere with wrist guards either 

I dont use a bell , isn't there a risk that people jump out in front of you when you use the bell behind them ?

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎03 at 1:43 PM, Chriull said:

reducing speed already at 50% battery is much to early

7 hours ago, Flash said:

I dont use a bell , isn't there a risk that people jump out in front of you when you use the bell behind them ?

Yes, it happens. I usually don't use the bell when I see I'll be able to overtake pedestrians safely.

But when you can not go around them because of a restricted or fully occupied path, you may want to warn the people somehow. What usually happens is that they free some space (not always the expected one :) ) and then you can use it. 

17 hours ago, Flash said:

To add to what @DS said, some older people can't hear the bell because of age related hearing problems.  I think I'm going to upgrade to something like this.....

9584ae8c95.jpeg

On 11/27/2016 at 3:09 PM, Smoother said:

That's a good point. I'll remove the screw that tightens the loop and that way if the bell catches on something, it will pull away from my finger rather than pulling my finger away from my hand. 

That's the real deal, but I didn't know it existed when I bought my bell. It's on my Christmas list now 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011VQJQQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I worry about runbell cuz there is no break away.. what if you wreck and it rips your fingers off.. this bell is for a bike but works great on my finger and with no screw it will just pop off if i get it caught on something.

7 hours ago, August Y said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011VQJQQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I worry about runbell cuz there is no break away.. what if you wreck and it rips your fingers off.. this bell is for a bike but works great on my finger and with no screw it will just pop off if i get it caught on something.

Wow that's expensive at $9. Mine cost about €3 and it has a nifty double "Ching"  , or Ching Ching as it were, for each operation of the lever.  I bet it's cheaper at Walmart.

What about using "natural  method" and making practical use from equipment which mother nature offered us free of charge  (for now... until You have to get to the pharmacy) and produce "bip bip" sound out of Your mouth?  (in some cases/countries it can be also advanced model - "excuse me"  or "please make the way" translated into local language..)

The other method is simply the louder wheel (for example Kingsong KS16 is much louder than Ninebot E+) 

some say "loud pipes save lives"

1 hour ago, Lukasz said:

What about using "natural  method" and making practical use from equipment which mother nature offered us free of charge  (for now... until You have to get to the pharmacy) and produce "bip bip" sound out of Your mouth?  (in some cases/countries it can be also advanced model - "excuse me"  or "please make the way" translated into local language..)

The other method is simply the louder wheel (for example Kingsong KS16 is much louder than Ninebot E+) 

some say "loud pipes save lives"

Where I am, right now, you,have no idea what language is understood by the people wandering aimlessly across your path. English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, ??? I sometimes do have to resort to using mouth 1.0, usually when I have forgotten my bell, or the deaf old bastards in front of me can't hear any frequency above 100hz.  There is a nice beep beep button on the KingSong app but that means getting my phone out, putting in my pin, opening the app, linking to the wheel and only then, beep beep. And it's higher than 100hz too! I think one of those old fashioned honk honk horns might do the trick.  Now, where to mount it? Or a honk honk app.  I'll look 

Archived