Jump to content

New KS16 firmware - 1.23


IainC
 Share

Recommended Posts

Kingsong have issued a new firmware 1.23 for KS-16 (maybe for others too). Said to improve torque at take off which will be good if it prevents my wheel from unexpectedly switching off on me! I've updated but don't notice any changes yet, will report any that I find...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick update- about 10 miles on the new firmware, no issues, wheel seems smoother on acceleration and cruising, but a bit more 'notchy' when braking (difficult to describe other than as if I'm going over a slightly rippled surface as I slow down). Also fixed is the constant switching of the headlight and tail-light when stationary, almost as if the wheel can't decide which is front and which is back. Everything else seems the same, but after my recent faceplant I'm keeping speeds to less than 15 kmh (unless I'm on grass, and then it's too bumpy to give it too much welly :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also did the update 1.23 on my KS 18A (1360wh, 1200W Motor) successful.

Even better than the already nice 1.22 update before.

I like the fixed bug with LED back and Front Blinking while standing still.

With the older 1.22 version i noticed a light stutter while standing. With the new 1.23 this seems to be also fixed.

Something new to me: if I wanted to change the speed limits it jumps from my set level (34kmh level 1 alarm) to 20kmh.

So I had to unlock the speed limitation again. After the unlock was done, everything is fine so far. ;-)

 

 

Hopefully the weather will get better in the next few days in Austria, so I can test my KS18 with the new firmware. ;-)

Edited by da_toni
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IainC said:

Quick update- about 10 miles on the new firmware, no issues, wheel seems smoother on acceleration and cruising, but a bit more 'notchy' when braking (difficult to describe other than as if I'm going over a slightly rippled surface as I slow down). Also fixed is the constant switching of the headlight and tail-light when stationary, almost as if the wheel can't decide which is front and which is back. Everything else seems the same, but after my recent faceplant I'm keeping speeds to less than 15 kmh (unless I'm on grass, and then it's too bumpy to give it too much welly :-)

do you still have that "crispling" or "sparkling" sound , when the wheel is under very heavy load? Thanx for help....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, IainC said:

Always hard to describe a sound :-), but yes, the same noises are there as before under load

Yeah, i updated also...and the behaviour (and sounds ) fromthe wheel seams to be the same :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I updated my KS16 with1.23 firmware this afternoon.

I really think that there is a big improvement when uphill. I feel that my KS16 have many more power and torque now during uphill. It's super confortable... Great update ! :D

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the SW update my KS18a v1.23 ,is driving increased amps ! now WheelLog app showing in some places over the smooth asphalt 40A.
Today there are a couple of acceleration gone 42A ! Previously V1.22 is the same style of driving, remained lower 40A .
Should I be worried ? 
And here are the WheelLog photos :
 

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am of the same mind that  v1.23  is like a better .I cannot describe exactly but it seems more concrete. I like to ride in cars with a sporty suspension, rigid , precise and concrete, and now it seems to just such a this wheel . Lift cut-off speed for full battery is now 49.4 kmh ! Good work and thanks for  by KS !    However, it is somewhat concerned about the increase amperage ! Quite often shows over 40A . Wheel behavior is very good and is not any disturbance and the alarm signal has not been. Do, however, i should be afraid of the fuse burnout ?! 

Some time in the past I measured the voltage displayed by the app and he actual voltage of 1V higher if the app readings .Therefore,perhaps all the readings to be inaccurate .       However, mileage now shows just about quite correctly .
  Just another topic but speed readings over but I do not complain at all because of the various measurements and comparisons are made in conjunction with number of the new cars ! KS18 lying speed of less than new cars . By GPS showing new cars dislay readings for three to five more kmh in reality . According to various GPS devices, however, KS18A  lies just 3 km more ! :)

Edited by Raptor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also just updated the firmware of my KS16 840Wh to 1.23  - and it's driving fine! Could not really compare/look at details - was just driving ~2,5km to a print shop through a partly crowded pedestrian zone. So no inclines, high loads, great accelerations, high speed, etc...

But 9BMetrics catched a 48,39A current spike - this should be about an amazing ~2,9kW power burst! Imho this was a start after waiting for a green light to cross the street...

Hope this higher current/power limit with 1.23 is only for short durations and not enough to blow the fuse on the mainboard!

The first real tests on longer inclines with high loads will show....

... this was also the way how i managed to blow the fuse with the first mobo version (due to a broken capacitor leg?)... 

PS.: Looks like it's time for the highest peak current contest for KS16/18, which the fuse survived :ph34r:

5CDVm8j.png

Edited by Chriull
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but since when could the user update KS firmware?  How is it done?  Is it through the app?  Can I update my KS-14C also or just the KS-16?  While on the subject of flashing firmware, does anyone know if the GW-ACM can also let the user update the firmware?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Can I update my KS-14C also or just the KS-16?

14C is not Owner FW upgradeable—this is not strictly correct, KS have procedure to update with a custom USB stick that loads new firmware.

Over the past year, the 14C software has proven pretty reliable, free from bugs/vices of earlier KS16 firmware releases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

14C is not Owner FW upgradeable—this is not strictly correct, KS have procedure to update with a custom USB stick that loads new firmware.

Over the past year, the 14C software has proven pretty reliable, free from bugs/vices of earlier KS16 firmware releases.

Two of my four KS14C does not have a USB slot so how would a USB stick help for those two?  So is KS16 updated via app?  Because I don't think it has a USB port either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Two of my four KS14C does not have a USB slot so how would a USB stick help for those two?  

Port may not be exposed, but it's on the board, but as I mentioned, you don't need to worry about 'upgrading' these. 

KS16 IS user upgradeable through the App, no need for any USB sticks... Emerging reports from 1.23 appear that it's a decent/stable release for the KS16.

Edited by Jason McNeil
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To my home in Styria there is an uphill ride with a length of 740 m and a gradient continuously between 14 and 17 degrees. Yesterday I drove uphill again with the KS16 full speed (Wheel beeping most of the time), and everything was fine (with 1.23) as before with 1.22.

But: It was a lot more fun, because especially the last very steep part the wheel performed a lot better than before (at least it felt more powerful and was also faster)..

(But my weight is only around 80kg, so I'm sure the wheel has some reserve, which might be smaller for heavier people).

What a difference to my former Ninebot Mini Pro: With each firmware version it became more lame, while the Kingsong becomes more powerful, awesome! :-)

------------------------------

Addition:

Today I did a longer ride with long offroad parts (trails, gravel roads).  Because I doubt that my riding skills became better just in the last week, I believe that 1.23 made also offroad driving easier, maybe because of the higher torque.  I could go faster across meadows and trails  which I knew from before, and the feeling was smoother than before. The same with slalom at higher speeds on asphalt.

I confess I became a little bit coltish because of that and had my first severe faceplant, but it was not the wheel's fault. :)

Thanks of elbow protection and helmet nothing happened.

Edited by HermanTheGerman
Added experience from todays offroad ride
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK - adding on to the silly questions about how to upgrade this.

I have a KS-16, running 1.20.  Through the Kingsong app, I see that 1.23 is available, but when I click "Download", nothing happens (I tap, and tap, and tap).

I killed the app (and even downloaded the Android app again from kingsong.com) and tried again, and nothing.  Stuck on 1.20, with 1.23 taunting me...

Any tips?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, blindjoedeath said:

OK - adding on to the silly questions about how to upgrade this.

I have a KS-16, running 1.20.  Through the Kingsong app, I see that 1.23 is available, but when I click "Download", nothing happens (I tap, and tap, and tap).

I killed the app (and even downloaded the Android app again from kingsong.com) and tried again, and nothing.  Stuck on 1.20, with 1.23 taunting me...

Any tips?

android? you have to give the App ALL permissions !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone had issues with v1.23 possessing less power from the starts than earlier builds? I have an experienced Customer with hundreds of miles on his KS16 who's reported a cut-out with this latest FW release. 

Downloaded and installed the latest firmware.. I was at the light, I'm normally at waiting for it to change and fell off the wheel.

The slope was not even that steep but when I rolled back and forth the Wheel couldn't keep up and I fell backwards.. Now I have done this same thing almost every day but now the wheel is under powered in this situation.
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

The slope was not even that steep but when I rolled back and forth the Wheel couldn't keep up and I fell backwards.. Now I have done this same thing almost every day but now the wheel is under powered in this situation.

Good thing I didn't update yet.

BTW is there a way to roll back updates?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple of things I have noticed since 1.23.

When im on the wheel waiting for a light I like to rock up and down the little ramp by the light.. yesterday i was trying to go backwards and the wheel couldnt keep up and I fell off.

ALso when going over a bump I also noticed the wheel leaned forward almost like it was falling forward but then caught it self up. 

Not really liking this update and would like to go back to 1.22.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Has anyone had issues with v1.23 possessing less power from the starts than earlier builds? I have an experienced Customer with hundreds of miles on his KS16 who's reported a cut-out with this latest FW ...

No - nothing irregular happend till now wirh my ks16 since updating to 1.23. but i have it now just for 2-4 drives with about 60 km in total...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...