Growing the Community - my approach

Marty Backe

I'm convinced that we can get a lot more people riding EUCs, and I'm going to take matters into my own hand.

Every week that I ride I will be proactively approached by someone who seems excited about what they're seeing. So this is what I'm going to do. Instead of telling them that it's an Electric Unicycle, and that they can Google for more information, etc., I'm going to give them a business card.

I'm going to get some simple business cards made up with a few printed links (one to this forum) that I can give them. It will refer to the Southern California Chapter (a term I made up, but I'm sticking with it) and contact information for me. That way I can let the person know there's an active and growing local community that they can participate in.

I'd like to see group rides of 20+ people - that would get attention. Already we have six riders in my area. Maybe by next summer I'll see the 20 I'm hoping for. Maybe more?

We can't just talk, we must do (hmmm, I did just re-watch a Star Wars movie).

Commendable and well said, Marty. In my doings I decided to move my initial training onto the dirt roads outside town since  people did not seem too impressed with a guy wobbling with flailing arms on a rollingsomething, screaming "OH NO, WATCH OUT!". I would get frowns and comments like "I strongly advise you not to go about traffic on that thing!". A few miles have passed under my wheel since then and things have changed. I now get smiles and kids who point at me, asking "What's that?" (I just assume they mean the EUC and not my ghastly self :blink:). If someone shows interest I will stop and have a chat about it and I have also considered bringing some written material to pass on in the hopes of getting more people into our circuit. My home town Uppsala is not LA so rounding up 20 people feels distant but at least one more would mean a great victory. An idea I have is to burst into town with my wheel and saber, shouting "TREMBLE INFIDELS!", although it seems like that may have been tried before...

But may the force be with you!

3 minutes ago, Snurre said:

Commendable and well said, Marty. In my doings I decided to move my initial training onto the dirt roads outside town since  people did not seem too impressed with a guy wobbling with flailing arms on a rollingsomething, screaming "OH NO, WATCH OUT!". I would get frowns and comments like "I strongly advise you not to go about traffic on that thing!". A few miles have passed under my wheel since then and things have changed. I now get smiles and kids who point at me, asking "What's that?" (I just assume they mean the EUC and not my ghastly self :blink:). If someone shows interest I will stop and have a chat about it and I have also considered bringing some written material to pass on in the hopes of getting more people into our circuit. My home town Uppsala is not LA so rounding up 20 people feels distant but at least one more would mean a great victory. An idea I have is to burst into town with my wheel and saber, shouting "TREMBLE INFIDELS!", although it seems like that may have been tried before...

But may the force be with you!

Very funny, and thanks :)

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm convinced that we can get a lot more people riding EUCs, and I'm going to take matters into my own hand.

Great idea Marty!

Wondering if you have you ever approached one of your local news stations to see if they would be interested in doing a story? You have many excellent videos depicting your EUC excursions. Email a couple TV stations with a youtube link to one of your videos. Consider condensing the video into a short 1 minute segment as they like brevity. Worth a shot!?

Every week that I ride I will be proactively approached by someone who seems excited about what they're seeing. So this is what I'm going to do. Instead of telling them that it's an Electric Unicycle, and that they can Google for more information, etc., I'm going to give them a business card.

I'm going to get some simple business cards made up with a few printed links (one to this forum) that I can give them. It will refer to the Southern California Chapter (a term I made up, but I'm sticking with it) and contact information for me. That way I can let the person know there's an active and growing local community that they can participate in.

I'd like to see group rides of 20+ people - that would get attention. Already we have six riders in my area. Maybe by next summer I'll see the 20 I'm hoping for. Maybe more?

We can't just talk, we must do (hmmm, I did just re-watch a Star Wars movie).

i'd be happy to help out with that

what a fantastic idea, marty

love it

this is wonderful

appreciate you sharing with us

43 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Great idea Marty!

Wondering if you have you ever approached one of your local news stations to see if they would be interested in doing a story? You have many excellent videos depicting your EUC excursions. Email a couple TV stations with a youtube link to one of your videos. Consider condensing the video into a short 1 minute segment as they like brevity. Worth a shot!?

I think I'm too camera shy for that. But maybe in time - like when I can ride backwards with a blindfold on.

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think I'm too camera shy for that. But maybe in time - like when I can ride backwards with a blindfold on.

You underestimate yourself! Also they are not looking for tricks or stunts. They want what you want...community involvement! Find a group of interested kids in your neighborhood. Sit down and talk to them. Educate them! Get it on video and submit it!

I have my shot tomorrow. Not sure what they will ask. Should be fun!

20 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You underestimate yourself! Also they are not looking for tricks or stunts. They want what you want...community involvement! Find a group of interested kids in your neighborhood. Sit down and talk to them. Educate them! Get it on video and submit it!

I have my shot tomorrow. Not sure what they will ask. Should be fun!

I hear you, and maybe in time. And yeah, I know about the tricks. I was just joking that you'll find me in front of a media camera about the same time that I'll be riding backwards with a blindfold on :)

What I really need is a local version of @Hirsute

What I really need is a local version of @Hirsute

I agree completely - and am in total awe of that over-talented little French-man (no offence intended @Hirsute) - But, I do wonder if that might put some people off? 

For example, I can't balance on my hands (standing still), so seeing someone do that on an EUC only reinforces that I can't do that. 

But if some fat middle-aged bloke with no hair left comes rolling in, not so elegantly (but beaming from the enjoyment) - does that indicate more that anyone could do this? 

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I agree completely - and am in total awe of that over-talented little French-man (no offence intended @Hirsute) - But, I do wonder if that might put some people off? 

For example, I can't balance on my hands (standing still), so seeing someone do that on an EUC only reinforces that I can't do that. 

But if some fat middle-aged bloke with no hair left comes rolling in, not so elegantly (but beaming from the enjoyment) - does that indicate more that anyone could do this? 

Good points - I agree the handstand would probably be a bad idea :)

Are you volunteering? ;) 

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

We can't just talk, we must do 

This may be a stretch, but think back when motorcyclists with their colors shown on their leather jackets were considered a menace to society. The only news they received was Bad, controversial news! Now many upstanding motorcycle groups ride together for community causes and are highly respected!

One example: Think of the numerous Christmas events across the country each year showing motorcycle groups riding together delivering presents to needy children and charity organizations! They receive positive press coverage because their cause is genuine and heartfelt!

Imagine playing Santa Clause and riding your wheel up to a children's home or church with a large bag of gifts draped over your shoulder. The children's smiles would melt the community's heart!

Bear in mind that it must be a passion not just press coverage.  If you are into making kids laugh and smile like I do daily it will come easy and totally enjoyable! ?

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Bear in mind that it must be a passion not just press coverage.

Well - holidays are just around the corner so dust off your Turkey costumes and start riding the neighbourhood ;) And Santa outfits for round two ...

Breaking news in Toledo has taken precedence over my 1 pm interview and will be rescheduled. Common occurrence that happens a lot but I was looking forward to speaking to the reporter Melissa Voetsch as we both are advocates for the disabled including autistic children. http://www.13abc.com/content/bios/289046311.html

Oh well, my adrenaline is headed back to normal. 

I'm near Griffith Park Marty. I'll join up with you guys once i get a better wheel. right now im using a 380w 170wh. Your reviews helped me a lot since I've been considering buying either an ACM or an Msuper V3. I'm just going to wait for the 84v 1600wh msuper v3. Hopefully, it comes out soon.

On 18/10/2016 at 6:49 PM, Marty Backe said:

Are you volunteering? ;) 

Yeah - I'm up for that...

I'm a little unco, and fall off regularly - twice yesterday (but there were 60 knot wind gusts at the time). I can't do any tricks. I don't have any hair left. And I'm fat...

But I smile a lot now, and I would love to be an EUC ambassador. 

next week I'll be spending three days in a school-sponsored holiday camp with some other teachers and around seventy 5th-graders. I might just take my wheel with me on the bus and let them a have a go on it in their spare time ...

So this week I made a point of taking my wheel down to the Skatepark at Southbank in central London each lunchtime to have a play (it's literally a couple of minutes from one of my offices). Southbank Skatepark (the "home" of British skateboarding for the last 40+ years) is on one of the main tourist throroughfares, so during a lunchtime session you literally get hundreds of people watching. I have been getting lots of positive interest - so many people have still not seen EUCs before. The school groups that come past seem especially impressed with the tricks, as are the skateboarders. It would be a great place for manufacturer(s) to do some demos or promotion.

I'd love to see the EUC community grow - I always feel like the ugly duckling when I visit all these parks & skate parks without another EUC in sight :)

I'm guessing this must be an uphill battle.  I live in Chicago, and a few years back, in 2013, a local businessman Tim Goebel started up Commute Connect to raise interest in EUCs and organize EUC activities in the area.  He has a Facebook page, and did interviews on NPR, Chicago Tribune, etc. to raise interest.   But I don't believe he has been successful (I don't really see EUC's anyplace in Chicago).   

I learned to ride a sportbike fairly late in life, and had to go to a school (in Hong Kong) to get my license.  I do think that for acquired skills, a school is really beneficial, as you get access to equipment and learn to ride properly.   Rather than just being on your own, you have a group who are similarly challenged.  The challenge for EUCs would be getting a critical mass of interested riders big enough to keep a school profitable.

I don't think you can have it both ways. Either you want to promote EUCing as effectively as possible or you try to have a profitable EUC school business.

Indeed, I would think that one of the most effective approaches to promote EUCing is to lend out EUCs to kids for free (and possibly a very low fee after the first trial) while teaching them how to get going (though I think they need much less teaching than we might believe). 

I don't want to pour water on anybody's camp fire, but in my opinion, the last thing the average eWheel rider needs is throngs of people whizzing around their town on eWheels.  It won't be a month before the accidents, and collisions with pedestrians gets the attention of city hall and the police.  Pretty soon after that, WE ALL GET BANNED from public land, and streets.  I'm not rich so I don't have acres of my own land to eWheel on, it's public land or I'm walking, or driving.

someone here said in Switzerland, EWheels are not allowed on the sidewalks or streets, or something like that.  Public opinion forced them out.  When it's one or two eWheelers in your town, no one can give a damn, about you, but try 200, with the usual cadre of irresponsible idiots terrorising Main Street, and people are up in arms.

someone else said anything without pedal power in the Uk, is a motorcycle and needs tax and insurance.  Right now in Enlgand an eWheeler gets a curious look from cops and that's about it because they just don't come up on the radar, and it's not worth their time to mess with you 

i hope I will enjoy eWheeling (still learning) but I have no desire to convert people to eWheeling.

when I flew paramotors, there was a small bunch of us in a big city. No one was too bothered by us.  But put hundreds of noisy buzzing flying contraptions in the air on a lazy Sunday afternoon, and watch the complaints come in.  Then too it was not in the interest of the community to grow.  Enjoy, share stories, but promote? I don't think so.

Oh, I forgot, if you don't believe that the actions of a few irresponsible individuals results in the community being punished, chew on this.

in Paramotoring there is a notorious individual from Utah, who brings trouble wherever he goes.  Dell Schantz is the name.  He single handedly got Paramotors BANNED FROM THE ENTIRE OREGON USA COAST !!!  

Where I flew in Texas, flying the coast and beaches was our mainstay, without that, we would have been reduced to dawn and dusk flights ( to avoid deadly thermals) over boring fields.  That would have lasted about a week  

How would you like to be the one who encourages eWheeling's Dell Schantz to the sport?

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

I don't want to pour water on anybody's camp fire, but in my opinion, the last thing the average eWheel rider needs is throngs of people whizzing around their town on eWheels. <snip>

Realistically I don't think we have to be worried about overwhelming numbers of EUCs zooming about:

• They have a steep learning curve - that will never go away
  • They are relatively expensive. I don't think they're ever going to get much more affordable. This tends to eliminate most of the irresponsible purchasers.
  • From my experience, it's a very small number of people who express an interest significant enough to overcome the first two bullets.

So rest easy, our activity will always be niche. 

• Shoe73 unpinned this topic

Archived