New Zealand needs your help!

The Fat Unicyclist

Like a number of countries, New Zealand is just catching up on the legality of these new-fangled "low powered vehicles." And they are currently researching everything that this encompasses... This research includes a survey to better understand the pros and cons of these transport options, which is where you all come in.

There is a survey available at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/lowpowervehicles to assist with this information gathering, and any and all comments from an informed bunch (that would be all of you) can only be a good thing. So if you can spare a few minutes, please, please let my government know how safe and beneficial EUC are - if it helps, you can skip the e-bike and mobility scooter sections and go straight to the LPV (low powered vehicle) section.

With your help, we can get these appropriately categorised for use within New Zealand - and who knows when one of you will be passing through and can benefit from that decision...

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this, and do let me know when you are visiting - hopefully we can plan out a few good rides.

I have filled out the survey. I left a few comments, too:

"E-unicycles are literally the smallest and most efficient means of motorized individual transport imaginable. Their footprint is no bigger than that of the person riding it and it can take you three miles on the amount of energy you use to dry your hair after a shower. Unlike a bicycle you can also bring it in the office or your flat with after your commute. They are the ultimate answer to ever increasing urbanization and the traffic jams and pollution that accompany it everywhere. Proliferation of e-unicycles should therefore be endorsed by all forward thinking governments by any means possible."

"I ticked the transportation boxes because that's what I would be using it for if its use wasn't a felony in Germany! No lights or two independent mechanical brakes --> not certifiable for road use ---> not insurable ---> riding a motor vehicle on public roads without insurance is a felony ---> EUC riders = felons!You have the chance here to not be as mindlessly bureaucratic and backwards as Germany. Just make sure the e-unicycles  have the tiltback and/or motor pulsation overspeed warning function, beeping only is insufficient."

"Again, I would be using it more often if it wasn't a felony here. Also, consider the health benefits. Balancing on an EUC is a great workout for you leg and core musculature without any impact on joints and discs. There are people on EUC enthusiast forums with back or knee pains who have reported much diminished pain or even no pain at all anymore after having ridden their unicycles for some time. As a person who is also afflicted with back pains (41, slipped disc) I can definitely confirm this. As you probably know back pain is a mass scourge in developed countries with lots of sedentary jobs, and it costs every national economy several billions of dollars every year."

Arrrrgh, I forgot something, too. Could the next person to fill out the survey perhaps include how LPVs may be the only chance for people with severe physical impairments to remain independently mobile, especially those who would not normally be able to ride a bicycle, like those suffering from COPD etc.?

Any and all comments are beneficial! 

It is such a small %age of the population that currently wheel, that all comments from wheelers have got to be appreciated. 

So for all you "fanatics" out there - keep the comments coming. 

And for @HunkaHunkaBurningLove and @mhpr262 - thank you! 

This is a chance for us to get it right, and help from all of you is definitely appreciated. 

10 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

There is a survey available at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/lowpowervehicles to assist with this information gathering, and any and all comments from an informed bunch (that would be all of you) can only be a good thing. So if you can spare a few minutes, please, please let my government know how safe and beneficial EUC are - if it helps, you can skip the e-bike and mobility scooter sections and go straight to the LPV (low powered vehicle) section.

Complete! It helped that you mentioned to navigate straight to the LPV section! I am not sure if those overseeing the questioneer will weed out submitions from another country. ?

I love your county! Just look how they are approaching this growing LPV phenomenon by politely asking the public to get involved and setting up an easy Q&A form to fill out!?

This informative link provides some insight behind the survey.

http://viastrada.nz/ebike-research

I found this sentence at bit unsettling but probably true as they feel threatened by the industry:

"Electric assistance is anecdotally seen as “cheating” by staff working in traditional bicycle shops, and so there have been limited opportunities to see or purchase e-bikes."

Come to think of it, I wonder just how much lobbying power the cycling industry has over governmental policy and bureaucrats? That in itself could be a major force to be reckoned with as they have deep pockets that could possibly sway the opinions of politicians and law makers! 

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this, and do let me know when you are visiting - hopefully we can plan out a few good rides.

I would love that! Will you be attending any of the upcoming LPV meetings your government is offering? 

Many of the multiple choice questions ( wished I could have cut and pasted them here) are directed at safety, limiting speed, # of accidents, pedestrians being scared, training, why did buy it, how often do you ride, main purpose for riding your LPV, are you associated with a manufacturer or advocacy group. They do ask for your address (optional) but I left that blank. 

Hopefully something positive will transpire from your county's Q&A investigation. Please keep us posted as each of our countries will be facing similar obstacles in the very near future!

FYI...waiting for my reps to rebound?

10 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

:mellow:  Geez I just put down that it's a lot of fun to ride on one wheel.  I feel kinda  stupid now.  I did include a link to the forum for more information.  Can we go back to edit our comments?   Did I just let New Zealand down?

OMG Hunka...what kind of detective are you failing to fill out the questioneer properly? New Zealand is now in shambles!?

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Come to think of it, I wonder just how much lobbying power the cycling industry has over governmental policy and bureaucrats? 

I'm not too concerned about lobbying. There is already a precedent set, as our current legislation already (specifically) mentions Yike Bike - http://www.yikebike.com - it just needs to be broadened a lot. 

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Will you be attending any of the upcoming LPV meetings your government is offering? 

Yes. I am ensuring that I will be in Wellington for the session there.

I'll update on the outcomes...

Archived