Jump to content
OralOperator

I want a faster EUC for under $500. Any recommendations? Or possible upgrades to my current one.

Recommended Posts

I bought a generic EUC off of eBay about two weeks ago. I love it. I ride it to school everyday (I'm in dental school). It saves me a bunch of time over walking. 

I really have no complaints about my $225 unit, except that I would like to go a bit faster. I don't need scary speeds or anything, but this one is limited to 10 km/h which is just a bit too slow for me. 

I was reading a bit in the DIY forum and saw that some people were talking about a V2 control board that allowed for faster speeds, but all the links were old and broken. I've got lots of experience with electronics and wouldn't mind changing out the board myself. I've already had to open it up to tinker a little, and it seems pretty basic. I attached a pic of the internals of mine. 

 

Thanks!

 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just get a good used one, that's what i would do. I have noticed that there is very little choice to be found in the gap between the generic ones for a similar price like yours and the really nice ones for $800 or $1000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe look into the MicroWorks Geekwheel semi-generic 14" wheel.  I wish they had a 16" but not yet.  It's priced pretty well except shipping is a killer.  It probably goes as fast as a Ninebot One E+ which is also a good choice if you can get one used.

I would be cautious though about riding these EUC's if you're in dental school as an injury can put you out of commission pretty easily.  You have a lot riding on the full use of your hands so a simple wrist injury would be problematic.  Gambling a long term career on riding one of these inherently unstable devices might not be worth it in the long run.

EDIT:  Might be a long shot - but if your generic motor is compatible with the Microworks 30 series boards there may be a small chance of changing out the controller, but the battery might not be able to handle the higher speed?  @electric_vehicle_lover messed around with this a bit.  Maybe he can chime in.  He had to get a MW compatible motor though I think in the end.

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends if money is a consideration or not. If you dont want to spend much , and you are currently in the 10kmh range, an upgrade to a older model quality  IPS wheel might be an option for you. You could find something for $500 with a decent battery and speed up to 18-20kph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keith said:

Hey thanks! I wish the forum had a better search function since this is basically exactly what I was looking for... Sorry to be redundant. 

 

 

@OralOperator, you will find pretty much what you are asking asked here: 

Just remember to go faster Safely requires power, both power from the motor and the ability of the battery to deliver that power. It is highly likely that a cheap wheel may have both a low power motor and poor battery - it also may not, so you will need to be careful that any change you make does not exceed that which your motor and battery can cope with or you will go faster than you intended .......... without the wheel beneath you.

Unless you love both experimenting and danger @mhpr262's suggestion could be the better one.

Having said that, at least if you faceplant you'll be able to get the dental work done cheaply ;-)

 

2 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

10kph?????!!!!!!!

 

:o

Yeah, it's this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-SINGLE-WHEEL-ELECTRIC-UNICYCLE-SCOOTER-AUTO-SMART-SELF-BALANCING-MONOCYCLE-/141833484855?hash=item2105ef3a37:g:xmkAAOSwcdBWT5Lo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Maybe look into the MicroWorks Geekwheel semi-generic 14" wheel.  I wish they had a 16" but not yet.  It's priced pretty well except shipping is a killer.  It probably goes as fast as a Ninebot One E+ which is also a good choice if you can get one used.

I would be cautious though about riding these EUC's if you're in dental school as an injury can put you out of commission pretty easily.  You have a lot riding on the full use of your hands so a simple wrist injury would be problematic.  Gambling a long term career on riding one of these inherently unstable devices might not be worth it in the long run.

EDIT:  Might be a long shot - but if your generic motor is compatible with the Microworks 30 series boards there may be a small chance of changing out the controller, but the battery might not be able to handle the higher speed?  @electric_vehicle_lover messed around with this a bit.  Maybe he can chime in.  He had to get a MW compatible motor though I think in the end.

Yeah, I will be careful. 

I was just looking at the MW stuff. That might be the way to go. My concern though is that upgrading the control board will end up meaning a motor upgrade shortly thereafter. That's really not a big deal except that I think it would end up meaning a battery upgrade as well. And at that point I might as well just buy a complete one and save myself the trouble of assembling the thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's where the assembled Geekwheel comes in with easy to source and replace parts.  I do hear that the beefy 14" tire feels like riding a 16" wheel without the extra weight.  Ask what @MattJ thinks of his home made version.

https://microworks.m.en.alibaba.com

So what year of dental school are you in?

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, if that's the case I may just save up for a bit and buy a used Ninebot or some other name brand (I am no very well informed on the higher end models--yet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, OralOperator said:

Yeah, I will be careful. 

I was just looking at the MW stuff. That might be the way to go. My concern though is that upgrading the control board will end up meaning a motor upgrade shortly thereafter. That's really not a big deal except that I think it would end up meaning a battery upgrade as well. And at that point I might as well just buy a complete one and save myself the trouble of assembling the thing.

you brought it to the point...

nobody can say if your motor is capable of running faster...your batterie for sure is not meant for higher speed :-)

so my opinion would also be: buy a complete new wheel...if you like riding on a Euc a good one will get you even more thrilled!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KingSong69 said:

you brought it to the point...

nobody can say if your motor is capable of running faster...your batterie for sure is not meant for higher speed :-)

so my opinion would also be: buy a complete new wheel...if you like riding on a Euc a good one will get you even more thrilled!

I was hoping there was a simply way to get just a few more mph out of it. If I could just go 15 or 20 km/h I feel like I would be more content with what I've got. 

 

I'm having so much fun with this super cheap one, I can't imagine how much fun a nice one would be :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trust me - once you hit 20 kph you want 30 kph.  Once you hit 30 kph you want 40 kph and so on...  There's a crazy addiction to speed that you get that's a little euphoric as you glide over the ground...  

As a future aspiring dentist don't try exceeding the variable maximum speed or you will become a physics experiment very quickly...

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

That's where the assembled Geekwheel comes in with easy to source and replace parts.  I do hear that the beefy 14" tire feels like riding a 16" wheel without the extra weight.  Ask what @MattJ thinks of his home made version.

https://microworks.m.en.alibaba.com

So what year of dental school are you in?

I am in my 4th year. I graduate in May 2017. I should have my license by July as long as all my board exams go alright. Hopefully by August I'll be able to buy a nicer EUC.

 

2 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Trust me - once you hit 20 kph you want 30 kph.  Once you hit 30 kph you want 40 kph and so on...  There's a crazy addiction to speed that you get that's a little euphoric as you glide over the ground...  

I believe that. haha but what happens when you eat it at a faster speed than you can run? So far I've mostly been able to just bail off and catch myself running. Though a few times I full on ate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

@EU GUY and @nomad have some very good demonstration videos of that very situation.  ;)

Fourth year?  Better pad up with wrist guards, helmet, knee pads and the works!  Student loans can be a killer and these EUC's too.  Don't forget to load up on disability insurance... :D

 

Yes, I am going to have some very good disability insurance very soon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016/10/16 at 3:40 AM, OralOperator said:

I bought a generic EUC off of eBay about two weeks ago. I love it. I ride it to school everyday (I'm in dental school). It saves me a bunch of time over walking. 

I really have no complaints about my $225 unit, except that I would like to go a bit faster. I don't need scary speeds or anything, but this one is limited to 10 km/h which is just a bit too slow for me. 

I was reading a bit in the DIY forum and saw that some people were talking about a V2 control board that allowed for faster speeds, but all the links were old and broken. I've got lots of experience with electronics and wouldn't mind changing out the board myself. I've already had to open it up to tinker a little, and it seems pretty basic. I attached a pic of the internals of mine. 

 

Thanks!

 

image.jpeg

You can tell us your EUC about motor and battery pack conditions?  Maybe you just exchange new controller (30A/30B4)  and big power motor. Your question will be sloved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Any question, please contact us.  
 
For shipping cost, please ask us for that.  The shipping cost on alibaba is not exactly. 
 
 
 
 
Tel: 0086-136 6042 4065  ( whatsapp )
Skype:  lizhigang540
 Microworks Electronic Mechanical Co., Ltd
Add. : 302, #3 Building, Xiantaoyuan Industrial area, Longgang, Shenzhen, China

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My recomendation from best to good, best on top, also the price is in order from high to low, but the gap in price between a ips 350T+ and a e+ is very small only that the e+ is much more available. All of these use the same 16" tire.

Ips 350T+, very solid, very reliable, fast 23 km/h, good for hills, control board 12 mosfets enclosed in aluminum case, extremely reliable. 1000w officially and real power could be a little under 1000w since it is not twice as powerfull as a e+, but more powerfull than e+.pedals not good 20cm with groove in the middle. Bluetooth app available.

Ninebot e+ , reliable,  very fast 22km/h, ok on hills, 12 mosfets on control board, tendency to overheat, official power 500w real power seems higher, good torque but ips 350T is better. Out of these 3 these are the best pedals 22cm a little short but no groove in the middle. Best bluetooth app.

Airwheel x8, low price, very solid, very reliable, less powerfull than e+, slow 12km/h, motor 800w it seems it is 800w peak, nominal around 500w. Small battery pack, worst pedals 16cm long with groove in the middle. No bluetooth app.

Only get the X8 if low on cash, since the e+ and 350T are both much better, I only recomend the x8 for being cheap, solid and reliable. Not fast. Not long range.

Lhotz, kingsong, gotway are outside your price range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll suggest that, for $150 more, you can go for an IPS Zero (tops = 30k/h) from CEBUYER for ~$665 with the October 2016 discount.  Absolutely better than anything else you might be looking at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...