is euc growth dying?

John Eucist

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=yksipyöräinen,airwheel

One problem in Finland is there is no catchy simple name for these. "Yksipyöräinen" means unicyle, Airwheel is only one manufacturer ( but with good advertising).

For me, this is simple equation, EUC is twice as fast as walking, meaning I can cover 4x times the area in a city environment. (And it's fun, but grownup's can't say that)

I'm just an observer and waiting others to catch up.

We must play an active part in growing the sport. Just today I spent 5 minutes talking to a guy that approached me with questions. Whenever you have the opportunity, sell it. Emphasize that there's a bit of work involved in learning it, but then it's fun, fun, fun. And anyone can learn to ride these.

I can't imagine many people giving EUC's up once they've learned to ride them. The retention rate must be high. So I think it's growing, but maybe slowly. I never heard of them 3 months ago, and here I am riding all over the place, exposing them to vast numbers of people. It's clear every day that I ride, most of the people that see me have never seen one before.

So our best path to growth is to be out there riding in public. And when you pass oncoming people, smile and give a little wave. That puts a subtle but positive spin on what we're doing.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

We must play an active part in growing the sport. Just today I spent 5 minutes talking to a guy that approached me with questions. Whenever you have the opportunity, sell it. Emphasize that there's a bit of work involved in learning it, but then it's fun, fun, fun. And anyone can learn to ride these.

I can't imagine many people giving EUC's up once they've learned to ride them. The retention rate must be high. So I think it's growing, but maybe slowly. I never heard of them 3 months ago, and here I am riding all over the place, exposing them to vast numbers of people. It's clear every day that I ride, most of the people that see me have never seen one before.

So our best path to growth is to be out there riding in public. And when you pass oncoming people, smile and give a little wave. That puts a subtle but positive spin on what we're doing.

awesome post. exactly the right thing to do

always build a bit of "cushion" into your estimated time of arrival when taking your wheel

Um quickly do this test:

https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia/signs-of-dyslexia/test-for-dyslexia-37-signs/

Oddly enough I seem to have several traits of that too!  Or maybe it was dyspepsia - I often get those two confused...  Darn KCF - good thing you don't have those in Finland.

5 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

See how many people can't wait to have autonomously-driving automobiles (do you think there is anyone here who frequents this particular forum who looks forward to the day when he or she won't be able to drive anymore because the car will do it autonomously?)

sure there is. 

Money seems to be the key.  These days, the money is chasing on-line games, e-business, and the crazy dot-com bubble again.  Imagine if the money can go into opening up euc theme park, euc training class for kids, removing the negative image from mainstream media, etc.  At least this can get euc to be as popular as roller skating or ice skating in the minds of most people.  But until all the manufacturers address all the safety and regulatory issues with eucs, it will stay as a toy compared to other forms of transportation.

30 minutes ago, MoNo said:

sure there is. 

let them STAND UP AND BE COUNTED..... :D

i hope those folks wouldn't want a computer to DRIVE THEIR EUC :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, zlymex said:

I must say that China must have the most EUC populations in the world. I know some dealers/distributors and they all say that the selling of EUC this year is much worse than last year.

that seems quite odd

i wonder why

4 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

i hope those folks wouldn't want a computer to DRIVE THEIR EUC :rolleyes:

I actually thought it does and I wouldn't want one without a computer, I am pretty sure :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

that's very cool

thanks for your kind words and this post of yours is terrific... so very intuitive and true

love the Arthur C. Clarke quote, as well

6 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

Here is a horrible but true fact:

Most people ARE boring

Most people do NOT want to learn anything new

Most people ARE happy with their MUNDANE lives and are waiting for what comes after death

At least that has been the experience I've had in the 54 years of my life

That doesn't include any of us here and that's why we are here

That's why I work 100 hours a week on occasion but still find time for this forum, So I can be around like-minded folks

If you think I'm wrong... See what cars sell the most and what colors

I'm a physician who lives in a nice middle-class neighborhood and has a lot of same same friends for The past 25 years who could buy and sell me 100 times over. There're so many wonderful new restaurants in this area, just 1/2 hour from our homes are but most people I know would rather eat the same old food in the restaurants down the street no matter how expensive their cars are. I hope you understand my point in that sentence. People like with what they're comfortable by far and away. 99% of people who see you ride by on your EUC if you want to stop and ask questions about it would never dream of attempting to learn to operate such a newfangled mode of transportation. 

See how many people can't wait to have autonomously-driving automobiles (do you think there is anyone here who frequents this particular forum who looks forward to the day when he or she won't be able to drive anymore because the car will do it autonomously?)

EUCs ARE here to stay, but I'm not sure how popular they will ever become

my man Greg...fantastic analysis of people, social norms and how EUCs can fit or do not fit in society. I love all the thoughts and comments on this thread. So here's are mine; always keeping it real and simple

1) EUC need to be in the next James Bond movie...lol, that will certainly catalyze its popularity

2) Jason McNeil presented that the cost of entry to a reliable EUCs for approximately $1,000 is not cheap, HOWEVER once a novice acquire the proper riding skills, the capability, functionality and flexibility of an EUC is relatively cheap. So the benefits outweighs the cost of entry. But do require a steep learning curve.

3) I like the high cost of entry. The higher cost will price out "non-serious" buyers...and this is ONLY my opinion. If EUC manufactures produce a highly capable, durable, with all SAFETY-minded functions, then I think it should commands a "Branded" higher price.

4) Perhaps a good option for a beginner would be a "Package" option, meaning distributors could offer two EUCs for a single price. One cheaper EUC would solely be for practice, so scuffing it up would not be an issue. The other EUC would serve as the intended EUC that the beginner wants to have. Or, have buy-back option on the practice EUC, and depending on how badly wounded it is, the wounds will determine the credited price. This may or may not be profitable, but would certainly push more EUCs in the market.

43 minutes ago, Boxer Rebellion said:

my man Greg...fantastic analysis of people, social norms and how EUCs can fit or do not fit in society. I love all the thoughts and comments on this thread. So here's are mine; always keeping it real and simple

1) EUC need to be in the next James Bond movie...lol, that will certainly catalyze its popularity

2) Jason McNeil presented that the cost of entry to a reliable EUCs for approximately $1,000 is not cheap, HOWEVER once a novice acquire the proper riding skills, the capability, functionality and flexibility of an EUC is relatively cheap. So the benefits outweighs the cost of entry. But do require a steep learning curve.

3) I like the high cost of entry. The higher cost will price out "non-serious" buyers...and this is ONLY my opinion. If EUC manufactures produce a highly capable, durable, with all SAFETY-minded functions, then I think it should commands a "Branded" higher price.

4) Perhaps a good option for a beginner would be a "Package" option, meaning distributors could offer two EUCs for a single price. One cheaper EUC would solely be for practice, so scuffing it up would not be an issue. The other EUC would serve as the intended EUC that the beginner wants to have. Or, have buy-back option on the practice EUC, and depending on how badly wounded it is, the wounds will determine the credited price. This may or may not be profitable, but would certainly push more EUCs in the market.

well put

appreciate the kind words

wholeheartedly agree with what you have presented

The growth depends on the percentage of people tell themselves: "I want it". So, let me list some facts: My son and I regularly ride EUCs around my neighborhood, of about 36 families. About half families have kids of teenagers or younger, most of them saw my son and I riding EUCs. There are 3 families have hoverboards. Mine is the only family with EUCs. 

About 15 of my son's school friends tried my EUCs. One of them learnt to ride forward in about 30 minutes. I have not heard anyone of them bought an EUC. The boy who was able to ride in 30 minutes asked his parents to buy a cheap TG T3, but his parents rejected. OK, I will wait until the week after Christmas to  see my effort of spreading EUC. So far not good.Another old news: Ninebot self balancing cars, both one wheel and two wheels types, is said have sold over 1 million units as of Aug, 2015. But many Chinese expressed doubt about the claim because they are rarely seen on streets. However, such doubt can be settled by a calculation of the probability of seeing one on street based on the density of them in city and frequency of them appearing on streets.

52 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

that seems quite odd

i wonder why

EUC in China was booming in 2014, and still climb in 2015 especially in northern part and inland part in China. However, things begin to decline this year, the local store owner even try to sell it, only saved(I think) by our recent purchase of more than 8 Gotway V3. 

There are about 750 EUCs sold(200 in 2014, 400 in 2015 and probably 200 this year) so far in the city where I live(3 million population) but most them are not active.

Now days, most people in the city have seen EUC or seen people riding EUC, if they are interested, they have already bought. For new buyers, either they've just know EUC(few), or they've changed their minds(few), or they've reached the age(allowed by the parents), or they just got the money required. People like me(who buy extra update) are scarce.

Damn, that is  shame. I wish governments would see that the use of those vehicles is in the national interest (urbanization issues, expensive and spotty public ransport, traffic jams, pollution etc.) and promote them actively, like providing a few for Physical Education classes at every school. Most kids learn how to ride well ridiculously easily, like, in a few minutes, vs. quite a few hours for the average adult.

2 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

Most kids learn how to ride well ridiculously easily, like, in a few minutes, vs. quite a few hours for the average adult.

Annoyingly so... Last weekend I showed someone half my age how to ride... and 10 minutes later he's riding better than me (not that I let him know that).

Getting old pisses me off! 

32 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Annoyingly so... Last weekend I showed someone half my age how to ride... and 10 minutes later he's riding better than me (not that I let him know that).

Getting old pisses me off! 

I've seen some if this talented people and think every time back how long I "practised" to learn it :(

7 hours ago, zlymex said:

EUC in China was booming in 2014, and still climb in 2015 especially in northern part and inland part in China. However, things begin to decline this year, the local store owner even try to sell it, only saved(I think) by our recent purchase of more than 8 Gotway V3. 

There are about 750 EUCs sold(200 in 2014, 400 in 2015 and probably 200 this year) so far in the city where I live(3 million population) but most them are not active.

Now days, most people in the city have seen EUC or seen people riding EUC, if they are interested, they have already bought. For new buyers, either they've just know EUC(few), or they've changed their minds(few), or they've reached the age(allowed by the parents), or they just got the money required. People like me(who buy extra update) are scarce.

That's why the manufacturer try to push sales in Europe, USA and Australia. Countries used to have regulations. With more visibility and missing regulation (get attention by police/ gov) EUC getting banned, seized and riders have to pay high fines. 

7 hours ago, zlymex said:

that all makes perfect sense to me

i believe the same thing will happen here and in every other country when it comes to this KIND of technology:

- hard to learn

- relatively expensive to own

- seen as dangerous to most

thanks for your post and information

i appreciate it

8 hours ago, EUCMania said:

The growth depends on the percentage of people tell themselves: "I want it".

that sounds about right. 

8 hours ago, EUCMania said:

About 15 of my son's school friends tried my EUCs. One of them learnt to ride forward in about 30 minutes.

I had let over the time a dozen or so kids from the neighborhood try and I had the impression they would, on average, learn more quickly than that.

One of the profound impressions I had on visiting China, especially recently, is pervasiveness of 'Western branded' high-end consumer goods. You'll see more Rolls Royces, Jaguars & Land Rovers flying through the central streets of Shenzhen, than any day in London.  

Even employees with modest salaries will gladly part with two months of disposable income for the latest iPhone. It hardly seemed credible, so I put the question to a couple of people in what they found so appealing in these Western branded goods, even though comparable quality products could be had—who's factories are cheek-by-jowl next to each other—for a fraction of the price. It all comes down to marketing: for many, emotive beliefs about need, aspirational fulfillment, values are attained not by reasoned judgement, but by the wish to imitate, and thereby in some degree become, the Influencers they aspire to.

If/when some of big name celebrities start adopting  Wheels in their daily lives, then the explosion (no pun) in uptake will probably follow what we've seen before with the Hoverboards. The importance this time round, I believe, is that there really needs to be some sort of competent but reasonable minimum standards approach, like what @OliverH informs us is going on in Europe (UL does not achieve this), set in place to prevent the crap from ruining it for the future.

Land Rover's sales in China dwarf that of any other country. Affluent Chinese seem to nearly all drive Western cars. 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjZ3VYREwye

Just a note on the Western car brands in China.   Land Rover is owned by Royce in China (Royce because they couldn't buy the Rover name which is owned by Tata I believe); many other Western brands are produced in China (esp.  Volkswagen in Shanghai, Buick in Beijing, Volvo which is part of Geely, etc.).  China has a 180% tax on imported cars, but when the Western brands are produced locally they are relatively cheap.  Your entry level VW will probably run $25-30K out the door in the US; it is less than $15K loaded in China (if you imported a German made VW, it might be $70-80K with tax in China).  The benefit to the Western companies is that the Chinese are better at building out the brand in Asia, and they can produce more cheaply.   Contrary to assertions by Western politicians and press, it's not cheap labor that gives them the advantage (labor in most of their manufactured products is <10% of cost) rather it is the developed component manufacturing and logistics infrastructure.  They invested in the past as a country, and now they are reaping the rewards. 

Archived