is euc growth dying?

John Eucist

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love this thread

thanks for starting it

my thoughts... lack of concise plan by almost every single company to advance safety and push the boundaries of their products in any direction other than TOP SPEED.

The fact that regulations are coming and no one seems to be doing anything to make themselves more compliant IN ADVANCE sort of shows me that most are trying to make as much money as they can before governments shit them down. 

i realize the wheels come from a place where safety is often and after-thought. the wheels are NOT made in either the US or Europe.... remember, before the Beijing olympics factories were SHUT DOWN for 6 months to drop the pollution level low enough for the IOC to be happy. my point is that IF the wheels were produced in a place to which regulations were more adhered, i know they'd be 3 times more money.... but maybe we'd see more growth.

it seems as if the folks who WOULD ride such things.... ALREADY ARE.... some come/some go, but in order to PUSH the notion of EUCs beyond OUR CIRCLE will take come cooperative effort amongst the manufacturers to give them a BROADER APPEAL.

- undersized wiring

- lack of attention to details "under the hood"

- not a care in the world about redundancy

of course, as i've said before... i have ridden 2-wheeled "death machines," in the eyes of the public for 38 years and almost 250,000 miles.... so, EUCs DO SPEAK TO ME... but, they need to expand their desirability beyond folks like me so we can see continued growth

IMHO, of course

again, thanks for the thread... looking forward to EVERYONE'S input here  

Peoples interest in EUC is going up , they are here to stay

Everyday usage and almost no cost for milage , charging makes them an terrific alternative to stoneage fossile fuel vehicles

There should be a minimum motor effect and minimum battery size to prevent cut out , you get what you pay for

Google statistics

Google statistics 2

Hoverboard has many more hits but for me it's a toy , I use my onewheel for longer distances and on bad roads or for training my dogs and more , maybe go to the city , 17 km distance

You know what?  After seeing the hoverboard trend chart it seems maybe the hoverboard craze (back then) helped interest in eucs as well, and then when hoverboard interest died it brought euc searches down along with it.  Just a hypothesis.

1 minute ago, John Eucist said:

You know what?  After seeing the hoverboard trend chart it seems maybe the hoverboard craze (back then) helped interest in eucs as well, and then when hoverboard interest died it brought euc searches down along with it.  Just a hypothesis.

that is very interesting....

The thing is when people view something as unsafe the majority of the population doesn't want it. It is difficult to convince people that the batteries inside what we ride have nothing to do with those which spontaneously melted down or combusted in hoverboards.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the recent debacle with the note 7 at Samsung has had repercussions for us, as well.

Isn't it odd that there are more than factor involved in the people's acceptance of EUCs?

People are bored , they wan't to live and try learn new things in life , if it's cheap and helps the enviroment then it's even better , that's why euc are here to stay.

If they cared about danger and risks then they would not have a car , motorcycle or fly with plane , most of the things we love to do we love because of the feeling , danger and difficulty to learn , good skills prevent accidents , so it's better to learn and be a pro in what you do than complaining.

Google statistics   car fire   battery fire  euc

Such a shame that eucs are relatively harder to learn.  Short of a yet-to-be-invented "quiet and REAL hover board" as an alternative, nothing beats eucs in terms of wheel diameter to device footprint (14-18 inch diameter being optimum imho) Thus, LOGICALLY, it should be the preferred mode of "last mile" single-person transportation in the future if only people are willing to take the time to learn it.

1 hour ago, Greg Spalding said:

imost are trying to make as much money as they can before governments shit them down.

LOL, so wrong and yet so true, at least in Germany.

I also think that EUCs are here to stay. That peak and that depression in interest are just tiny shiverings of the needle, without statistical relevance. I predict that once our vehicles have gained some sort of exposure they will really take off. So far it's only Paris and Singapur and maybe some Chinese cities where these things can be seen by the general public AT ALL. They have the potential to become as popular and as widespread as bicycles.

1 hour ago, John Eucist said:

I certainly hope your quantifiable trend charts are wrong! If manufactures move onto another craze and stop r&d on EUCs that would be devastating. I myself do not find anything more exhilarating in my life at the moment than riding my wheel. The real indicators of any down trend in sales will be the upcoming Christmas holiday season. 

1 hour ago, mhpr262 said:

So far it's only Paris and Singapur and maybe some Chinese cities where these things can be seen by the general public AT ALL. 

It is significant that EUC are still mostly unknown - without the hoverboard publicity (and the links that then got people to EUCs), do people even know they exist? I personally tend not to search Google for things when I don't know of their existence. 

I still get stopped almost daily - even on my most regular commuting routes - with people having never even heard of these crazy wheel things. 

We need more Lee Jeans type ads, or celebrities saying, "it's a learning curve, but now I ride everywhere."

Once more people know what they are, then there will be more of us early adopters (?) getting themselves wheels. 

2 hours ago, FLASH said:

People are bored , they wan't to live and try learn new things in life , if it's cheap and helps the enviroment then it's even better , that's why euc are here to stay.

Here is a horrible but true fact:

Most people ARE boring

Most people do NOT want to learn anything new

Most people ARE happy with their MUNDANE lives and are waiting for what comes after death

At least that has been the experience I've had in the 54 years of my life

That doesn't include any of us here and that's why we are here

That's why I work 100 hours a week on occasion but still find time for this forum, So I can be around like-minded folks

If you think I'm wrong... See what cars sell the most and what colors

I'm a physician who lives in a nice middle-class neighborhood and has a lot of same same friends for The past 25 years who could buy and sell me 100 times over. There're so many wonderful new restaurants in this area, just 1/2 hour from our homes are but most people I know would rather eat the same old food in the restaurants down the street no matter how expensive their cars are. I hope you understand my point in that sentence. People like with what they're comfortable by far and away. 99% of people who see you ride by on your EUC if you want to stop and ask questions about it would never dream of attempting to learn to operate such a newfangled mode of transportation. 

See how many people can't wait to have autonomously-driving automobiles (do you think there is anyone here who frequents this particular forum who looks forward to the day when he or she won't be able to drive anymore because the car will do it autonomously?)

EUCs ARE here to stay, but I'm not sure how popular they will ever become

3 hours ago, John Eucist said:

https://www.google.com/trends/explore?q="electric unicycle"

I understand this "trend" is only based on English-speaking Google searches but still.
Any idea what caused the quick rise mid-2015 and then the fall back down?

euctrend.png

It's dying if the business follows the current path. Money is not invested on a priorised plan on the mid/ long term. 

I started some days ago a thread and asked the question who'll survive. In the thread I talked about PLEV. No one asked on the head line. There's more wrong than just understanding of regulations.

We can also show graphs on base of Gartners hype cycle. Ok this is for IT business but it fits also perfect for EUC business or anz business. Current EUC business will not hit max peak of visibility and is not able to get more maturity. This graphic is the easiest way to explain the upcoming fail.

http://www.gartner.com/technology/research/methodologies/hype-cycle.jsp

Don't misunderstand me. I really believe in the EUC business but in a different way. 

25 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

People like with what they're comfortable by far and away. 99% of people who see you ride by on your EUC if you want to stop and ask questions about it would never dream of attempting to learn to operate such a newfangled mode of transportation. 

See how many people can't wait to have autonomously-driving automobiles (do you think there is anyone here who frequents this particular forum who looks forward to the day when he or she won't be able to drive anymore because the car will do it autonomously?)

EUCs ARE here to stay, but I'm not sure how popular they will ever become

Maybe the first paragraph applies to middle aged or older people (like your friends) but younger people in the congested city who have never felt any desire to get a car or even a driver's licence will love it. Ever increasing urbanization is one of the most certain future trends.

And to be quite honest, I'd love to have an autonomous car. Being able to read or have a leisurely breakfast during my 1h one way commute or maybe even have another nap would be awesome. I take my motorcycle whenever i want to have fun with a serious motor vehicle.

P.S. I have just googled the trends for electric skateboards - it looks exactly the same. And the trend curve for "electric bicycle is a mostly flat line, without even any distinctive peaks, and I can tell you that you can see these things frigging EVERYWHERE in Germany, and Germany isn't even coloured on the map showing the most "inquisitive" countries. So, I think that maybe one shouldn't read too much into those google trend graphs.

Yes it's true but only for some people and at a time intervall , when they wake up and realize time is wasted then they wan't to try something new , money is also a limit
to not try everything but euc doesn't have to be so expensive and going with euc trains every muscle and balance , it's not like playing pokemon or watching tv

It's not for people with weak nerves , when you have a good unit euc and you trust it then it's easier to relax and enjoy the ride , I always go 5-10 km/h slower than max speed
I value safe wheeling more than speed and I'm quite happy with 30-35 km/h

If every owner use it for everyday use to the shop , restaurant or whatever then people will notice it and get curious and starting to wan't one themself + all kids that want's one and parents say no in the beginning  , one of the thing I like the most except the ride is how cheap it is to use compared to my car , I have my backpack when I go to the supermarket , it's enough , with a solar panel charger then I won't need to pay for my journeys

Electric bicycles are an alternative but they have less mileage , smaller battery , weaker motor , slow speed and brand names like bosh Yamaha are extremly expensive ,
If I would put money in one then I would buy a mountain bike or I would like to have 1 more EUC maybe KS16 matte for visitors friends that want's to try

15 minutes ago, FLASH said:

Yes it's true but only for some people and at a time intervall , when they wake up and realize time is wasted then they wan't to try something new , money is also a limit
to not try everything but euc doesn't have to be so expensive and going with euc trains every muscle and balance , it's not like playing pokemon or watching tv

It's not for people with weak nerves , when you have a good unit euc and you trust it then it's easier to relax and enjoy the ride , I always go 5-10 km/h slower than max speed
I value safe wheeling more than speed and I'm quite happy with 30-35 km/h

If every owner use it for everyday use to the shop , restaurant or whatever then people will notice it and get curious and starting to wan't one themself + all kids that want's one and parents say no in the beginning  , one of the thing I like the most except the ride is how cheap it is to use compared to my car , I have my backpack when I go to the supermarket , it's enough , with a solar panel charger then I won't need pay for my journeys

Electric bicycles are an alternative but they have less mileage , smaller battery , weaker motor , slow speed and brand names like bosh Yamaha are extremly expensive ,
If I would put money in one then I would buy a mountain bike or I would like to have 1 more EUC maybe KS16 matte for visitors friends that want's to try

This eBikes uses motors like Bosch or Panasonic (on the better eBikes) and you get real distances of more than 100 km with a battery charge with the latest motor generation. They're only power assisted. My parents using older Swiss Flyer with old gen Panasonic motors. 60-70 km with standard battery is no problem. My mother god a new battery with more capacity and the country is getting smaller now.

Seems like most of the time the only thing people in my city know about these wheels is that they "might explode". I tell them that they should probably throw out their phone if they are worried about it, because they carry the same risk with any lithium Ion. The chargers are what was at fault originally. I even had my first one start to smoke and nearly flare up. The battery was however fine and worked just as well with a new higher amp charger.

I hope that this mentality passes and EUCs hang about forever. 

What @Greg Spalding writes is very perceptive. 

What twenty years ago was only within the realm of science fiction is today a practical reality. One of my favourite EUC applicable quotes is Arthur C. Clarke's " Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Perhaps one of the problems of the single-Wheel, that like Nuclear Power, Genetic Engineering, advanced medicine, along with the many revolutionary breakthroughs in science, is that they are possibly too advanced for the modern mind to comprehend, & therefore, what is not understood, is also feared by some. 

Could you imagine someone describing a Wheel a generation ago, "it's just a motor, single inexpensive sensor, a rudimentary control-system & a couple hundred lines of functional code packaged with laptop type battery & will give you 25 miles range, 20 MPH speed, connect to an amazing thing called a smartphone all for under $1000".

What's on the Wheel's side for eventual global dominance ;) is that no matter how much money is spent pushing alternatives, intrinsic properties of the Wheel must surely see a steady-sustained growth. 

Just now, FLASH said:

that's very cool

24 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

What @Greg Spalding writes is very perceptive. 

What twenty years ago was only within the realm of science fiction is today a practical reality. One of my favourite EUC applicable quotes is Arthur C. Clarke's " Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Perhaps one of the problems of the single-Wheel, that like Nuclear Power, Genetic Engineering, advanced medicine, along with the many revolutionary breakthroughs in science, is that they are possibly too advanced for the modern mind to comprehend, & therefore, what is not understood, is also feared by many. 

Could you imagine someone describing a Wheel a generation ago, "it's just a motor, single inexpensive sensor, a rudimentary control-system & a couple hundred lines of functional code packaged with laptop type battery & will give you 25 miles range, 20 MPH speed, connect to an amazing thing called a smartphone all for under $1000".

What's on the Wheel's side for eventual global dominance ;) is that no matter how much money is spent pushing alternatives, intrinsic properties of the Wheel must surely see a steady-sustained growth. 

thanks for your kind words and this post of yours is terrific... so very intuitive and true

love the Arthur C. Clarke quote, as well

57 minutes ago, FLASH said:

with a solar panel charger then I won't need to pay for my journeys

Whenever it works out, I charge mine at the office - completely free energy (for me)...

Archived