Want more range for your NINEBOT MINI? one problem but many solutions

I think you can compare both solutions in that both accomplish the same primary goal of extended range. These solutions may differ in how seamless they are, how convenient they are, and how much modification is required to the Mini. Personally I'm intrigued by both of your plans and I wait to see the results so I can weigh the pros and cons of both options. 

As a side question: Could a quick and dirty option simply be to string two battery packs together in Parallel somehow be an option? Or have them connected in series with a toggle to switch to the reserve battery? Perhaps you could string many packs together and get mega range (backpack loaded for 100km rides - lol - better hope it does catch on fire)

1 hour ago, smallexis said:

2 interesting solutions but your goal is different from mine (which is to not use a backpack). So you can't really make a compare between our solutions.

I wasn't exactly making a comparison, I was getting involved in the general "extending the range" conversation and sharing some alternative solutions with other forum members. I think it's funny that you keep getting defensive when someone makes a suggestion that isn't exactly the same as yours. No one is trying to steal your lime light, we're just sharing ideas :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pezman said:

Perhaps you could string many packs together and get mega range (backpack loaded for 100km rides - lol - better hope it does catch on fire)

still done and you can see the result here 

1 hour ago, RooMiniPro said:

No one is trying to steal your lime light, we're just sharing ideas

Not a problem for me if you want to share new ideas, you're welcome.

But it's not the subject of this topic and someone which is not interested in using an external battery, will certainly not read this topic and will not discover other solution. Maybe it would be useful to open a new topic like "many solutions to extend your distance range"?

Edited by smallexis
  • Upvote 1

it's not the subject of this topic and someone which is not interested in using an external battery, will certainly not read this topic and will not discover other solution.

I'm sorry, I'm confused..

I thought the subject here is actual an eternal battery, I checked 3 times and yup that's what it says. Eternal battery by definition would be outside the Mini and probably in a backpack. But I could be wrong, as I said I'm confused. :-) 

Not a problem for me if you want to share new ideas, you're welcome.

But it's not the subject of this topic and someone which is not interested in using an external battery, will certainly not read this topic and will not discover other solution. Maybe it would be useful to open a new topic like "many solutions to extend your distance range"?

I think a better idea would be to just relax and allow an organic conversation. Your external battery powers the MiniPro while in use. My external battery charges the MiniPro while resting. They're both DIY external batteries designed to extend the range of the vehicle. So I don't think there's reason to get defensive or suggest that I take my alternative version to another thread. 

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

I too am interested in an eternal battery :D

maybe with uranium

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pezman said:

I'm sorry, I'm confused..

I thought the subject here is actual an eternal battery, I checked 3 times and yup that's what it says. Eternal battery by definition would be outside the Mini and probably in a backpack. But I could be wrong, as I said I'm confused. :-) 

2 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I think a better idea would be to just relax and allow an organic conversation. Your external battery powers the MiniPro while in use. My external battery charges the MiniPro while resting. They're both DIY external batteries designed to extend the range of the vehicle. So I don't think there's reason to get defensive or suggest that I take my alternative version to another thread. 

Because I prefer peace rather than war, in order to please everybody I have renamed the topic :

image(337).png

do you still think I'm on defensive???

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pezman said:

I was wondering if solar panels could generate enough power

with actual technology, solar panel can't be a solution (too much expensive and it require a very big surface of panel in order to give around 60V).

40 minutes ago, smallexis said:

with actual technology, solar panel can't be a solution (too much expensive and it require a very big surface of panel in order to give around 60V).

Yeah that's what I was thinking...

Just brainstorming here.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Pezman said:

Fair enough. Lets get back to discussing potential solutions. 

I was wondering if solar panels could generate enough power to trickle back to the Mini. Would there be enough return to actually extended the range?

I like the idea of this.  I have charged my MiniPro 100% by solar since I bought it. I have 200 watts of panels outside going into a 300 amp hour battery bank in my office that I use for charging my e-bikes, skateboards and the minipro as well as all my other gadgets. On bright days I run my laptop from it all day. But the panels are too large to carry by MiniPro.

However, i have a few folding portable panels that easily fit in a small backpack. One of them puts out an average of 50 watts in strong sun. It would be possible to step the voltage up to 63v and put some charge into the MiniPro if one were to rest in a park or somewhere in the sun for a couple of hours. But it would take all day (maybe two days) to fully charge the battery that way from low. There are larger folding panels though that produce more watts. I have a 100w Renogy folding panel; it's a DIY of two 50w panels in a briefcase configuration and is still too large to carry on a MiniPro for a long distance. But with it plugged into a battery and an invertor I get a portable (by car) 110v supply to power my things when away from the grid.

Edited by RooMiniPro
  • Upvote 1

Well, I blew something and my first idea was to directly parallel the mini battery anyways, now I have to tear into it sooner, like now... We'll see what I did... And I already have 100 w panels just for on the go trailer charging and booster board...So got to see this through!

28 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Well, I blew something and my first idea was to directly parallel the mini battery anyways, now I have to tear into it sooner, like now... We'll see what I did... And I already have 100 w panels just for on the go trailer charging and booster board...So got to see this through!

Yeah I don't feel comfortable about connecting another battery to the charging port and running it in parallel.  I prefer to stop, take a break and top the battery up.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Found blown fuse...F3 and a kinked thick + battery wire... Don't know amperage to use assuming 3 amp...

Would like to know what the white and yellow wires from plug are doing....

Studio_20170519_140553.jpg 

Oh my charger female plug on my Asain mini popped out on my this morning! Now how that happened? Now I am going to have to open that battery, too! Could be loose nut in pack!

Edited by MetricUSA

12 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Found blown fuse...F3 and a kinked thick + battery wire... Don't know amperage to use assuming 3 amp...

glad to know you have found the origin of your matter but is it possible to repare?

During my test I have measured more than 4A while using external battery linked to charging plug and BMS is still OK.

12 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Would like to know what the white and yellow wires from plug are doing....

Me too, I have supposed they are the link between BMS and mother board, maybe that's will explain if the battery is recognize by the motherboard or not.

Edited by smallexis

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2017 at 7:29 AM, RooMiniPro said:

A simpler solution is to buy a spare battery pack and carry it in a backpack with a screwdriver. The Ninebot Mini battery is a lot cheaper than the MiniPro one. I'm just going with the portable charger option because I already have all the parts I need and won't have to spend any money.

I agree.

Where do they sell Mini batteries?

I'm in USA, so that's a consideration.

On 4/22/2017 at 8:29 AM, smallexis said:

2 interesting solutions but your goal is different from mine (which is to not use a backpack). So you can't really make a compare between our solutions.

I'm interested in using a workable solution to extending the MiniPro traveling range.

I'll consider all alternatives.

My best solution (maybe somebody could have a better one but I have not read it yet) is here :

External battery is directly linked to the power wire of the motherboard, that avoid to have damage on internal battery due to high amper value and that allow to use the max capacity of the external battery.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, smallexis said:

My best solution (maybe somebody could have a better one but I have not read it yet) is here :

External battery is directly linked to the power wire of the motherboard, that avoid to have damage on internal battery due to high amper value and that allow to use the max capacity of the external battery.

I think this is a good way to do it.  Plugging an external battery into the charging port may damage the MiniPro's battery if it's at a low level of charge and the external battery is at a high level of charge. 

@MetricUSA did your Minipro stop taking a charge after the fuse blew in the above situation?  And have you managed to repair it?

• Upvote 1

OK been awhile, first a solution to internal blown fuse... And I should had run wire to parallel the internal battery while I had it open. The only good spot to run it out is where the fuse now sits....

And now I need help for a hitch, the strap is not cutting it, good for back up, but definitely need a hitch... Seriously, a 50 watt (or two) would have done the trick...

IMG_20170730_185605.jpg

IMG_20170730_184012-1012x759.jpg

Edited by MetricUSA
  • Upvote 1