Want more range for your NINEBOT MINI? one problem but many solutions

Great work you have done with this mod!

Maybe you also want to take a look at 

There are some discussions about the pros and cons of putting an external battery on the charging port and @Philip W managed it to make a real charger out of the external battery pack.

Edited by Chriull
  • Upvote 1

My goal was to make the 15S battery smaller and more discreet as possible, not to have the highest range but just a little bit more. And I know using to charging port is not the best solution. Thx for the link.

Edited by smallexis
  • Upvote 1

So are you able to ride mini with external connected? I did buy a inmotion pack still need to make cover protection, but it is more bulky then yours will be more top heavy, and I going to hack into mini pack to connect instead....

Edited by MetricUSA
  • Upvote 1

On 18/10/2016 at 5:01 PM, MetricUSA said:

So are you able to ride mini with external connected?

Yes of course. First you have to switch on the mini and seond you have to connect the plug.

and I going to hack into mini pack to connect instead...

yeah, I think about it too

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I going to hack into mini pack to connect instead

For me the hack is done :

• Upvote 1

I think you should consult some battery experts.  Connecting a battery pack of a different capacity (very bad) or even one that uses different cells with similar capacity (bad - due to different discharge characteristics) in parallel to a battery pack like the mini has which as a BMS system that is only monitoring the single pack and is doing it at the series level within the pack is asking for big trouble.  

• 2 months later...
On 27/11/2016 at 6:32 PM, FreeRide said:

I think you should consult some battery experts. Connecting a battery pack of a different capacity (very bad) 

OK first example : Do you know how the GOTWAY MSUPER2 's battery 850Wh is made?

2 packs 340Wh + 1 pack 170Wh in parallel. So one of the 3 packs is not of the same capacity as the other 2 and yet it works very well (and it is sold like that original, so according to you GOTWAY should also consult experts in battery?)

On 27/11/2016 at 6:32 PM, FreeRide said:

even one that uses different cells with similar capacity

second example :  Have you heard about the NINEBOT ONE Battery Extension Kit?

if not, please read this subject : http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/4927-1radwerkstatt-battery-upgrade-kit/#comment-77494

and look at what 1radwerkstatt is doing : 

388wh Upgrade Kit
Supplied as 2 x 194wh batteries with the larger covers.

The 388wh kit is the big one, it's to be used with your original battery - giving a total of 
C+ = 220wh + 388wh = 608wh total                    or              E+ = 320wh + 388wh = 708wh total

According to you again, as they use different capacity cells (and its works without any problem), they sould consult some battery experts too?

I agree with you because I'm not a battery expert but I'm not crazy enough to do all and anything with lithium battery. I make a lot of tests and I read a lot of topics before to make such kind of upgrade (and before to post it)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

where did you pick up a 'male' plug to fit the mini port?

plug model is GX12 4pin (a very common plug), you can find it on ebay, aliexpress, etc.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Hey @FreeRide, I know you were only trying to help

Yes of course and I really appreciate when someone tries to help. And it's even better when it's argued or documented.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

yet another nice project from you, and well documented too  You're really quite a handy man( presumably).

thank you

Edited by smallexis
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

Sorry GX12 4pin can not possible, that is an aviation 12 mm plug! Mini has a 8.5-9 mm male plug...

I'm very suprised. Could you send a picture with dimensions of your battery plug ?

58 minutes ago, smallexis said:

Mini has a 8.5-9 mm male plug

OK you're right, but I'm right too :

58a9e4bdc606d_gx12vsgx16.thumb.jpg.d645c151b56e270ca7cfbcd61ee2670f.jpg

Mini male plug is around 9mm but it's a GX12 plug, because 12mm is the hole diameter to put in place the femal plug. (same example for GX16 plug).

100_1514.JPG.ba8953575a4460b11d1730f1254540bd.JPG you can trust me if I said GX12 is the right model.

Edited by smallexis
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Got a problem... Is there a fuse or something  in charging circuit? 

I finally got the right gx12 plug in after three tries, they kept sending gx16.... Anyways, I have a external 55/63 volt battery and was doing a test run with it connected to port, was doing great current varied and up to 2 amp input but I stopped and disconnected external battery and shut mini off, when I turned mini back on then connected the external battery there was no amperage flow but the mini charging light look like it was charging. Headed back home, and plugged in charger, it shows green and but showing charging on mini, it is half full...I don't think it is actually charging! Any one knows the circuitry going on inside where to look?....

where do you link your external battery to the mini?

There is no fuse but the BMS afford some kind of protection.

This is a little technical for most of us I'm thinking (unless I'm the only one and then maybe I'm just dumb) whenever one of you nails this, might I suggest that you might make some money selling an after market range extending kit. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Pezman said:

might I suggest that you might make some money selling an after market range extending kit

the first problem is for sending oversea lithium battery and the second one : to link the external battery to the charging plug is not the best solution

On 16/04/2017 at 0:52 AM, MetricUSA said:

Any one knows the circuitry going on inside where to look?....

these are pictures from the inside a mini battery :

100_0738.thumb.JPG.d279a31222458256e65ffa8bed476478.JPG

100_0743.thumb.JPG.ca2ebfc5b4417e6e5dd06126fec2c1d4.JPG

100_0723.thumb.JPG.80deb45782074239bbb655561e737c2e.JPG

I'm building a portable charger for my MiniPro. It won't extend my range seamlessly, it will require me to stop riding and take a break while the battery tops up. It's not a perfect solution but it means I can go out all day, ride for an hour or two, take a break to charge and eat a packed lunch, then ride some more, without needing to find a wall outlet. 

A simpler solution is to buy a spare battery pack and carry it in a backpack with a screwdriver. The Ninebot Mini battery is a lot cheaper than the MiniPro one. I'm just going with the portable charger option because I already have all the parts I need and won't have to spend any money.

59 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

I'm building a portable charger for my MiniPro.

56 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

A simpler solution is to buy a spare battery pack and carry it in a backpack with a screwdriver.

2 interesting solutions but your goal is different from mine (which is to not use a backpack). So you can't really make a compare between our solutions.