Ride with an umbrella?

J.T.

Has anyone learned how to successfully ride in the rain with an umbrella?  I tried it once after a couple of months of riding, and the wind knocked me on my butt.  I've been gun-shy since (I've been riding for a little over a year now).  But if someone out there has learned to do it well, and can offer some tips (e.g. perhaps those "gust-proof" umbrellas with flap openings would help, or some other useful tidbits), I would consider giving it another go.  Otherwise, I'll just stick to putting on rain pants and jacket.  TIA

I have done it. But much depends on how the wind is comming. If there is a continious wind you can point the umbrella in that direction and keep riding with no effort. If there are lots of changes in direction or speed its nearly impossible..

My friends tend to call me Marry Poppins when i arrive with the umbrella

I've done it multiple times here in NYC, but I would recommend against it, specifically because of the wind. If you are riding your wheel and the wind comes at you while you move the umbrella in a way where the inside of your umbrella becomes a giant glove, you won't be happy. You will lose your center of balance completely because of the counteracting forces. Ride in the rain with no umbrella if you have a rain coat, or if it is light rain. It is better to be safe than sorry. You don't want to lose your balance with an umbrella during the rain in traffic.

59 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

unless you're Alex Segmüller in which case the wind bends to your command!

That doesn't count... Being a god amongst men makes you exempt from the rules!

16 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Riding with an umbrella generally is ill advised when it's windy and if you're travelling at speed... unless you're Alex Segmüller in which case the wind bends to your command!

[...]

Who said battery charging should be easy?

About the umbrella: I guess it takes some experimenting...

8c598dc4e2e5956168e3b3945122c8ff.jpg

5 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

I bought two of the Bonchos, and it works pretty good for eus, too... Much better then a wind floppy poncho...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boncho/boncho-the-bike-poncho 

Hmmmnn... that's different. 

How well does it work when you're standing up? Do you still get wet below a certain point? 

On ‎11‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 5:35 PM, J.T. said:

... Otherwise, I'll just stick to putting on rain pants and jacket. ...

That's what I do.

Riding with the umbrella other than for show is not practical enough. Not very effective either...

On 10/13/2016 at 8:08 PM, WeeJ said:

not the best video as just a random video on my phone 

Awesome!  Do you typically not get wind with your rain in Scotland?

On 10/11/2016 at 5:45 PM, Ponne said:

My friends tend to call me Marry Poppins when i arrive with the umbrella

:D, too funny

On 10/11/2016 at 6:17 PM, Pagsy said:

The smaller the umbrella the better from my experience.

I hadn't even thought of that, but it makes complete sense!

Archived