Which of the current big manufacturer will survive?

OliverH

1 hour ago, Mono said:

To my understanding the European bureaucrats will make laws that guaranty citizens to be allowed to ride certain type of wheels. They won't restrict whatever any individual country sees fit to use for their citizens additionally. In other words, to my understanding the European bureaucrats will restrict the countries to make over-restrictive prohibition laws. Thereby the European bureaucrats will protect the citizens to suffer from over-restrictive laws. I don't see how that could make us European riders suffer.

From my experience new laws and/or regulations add restrictions and reduce liberties. But if you're saying they will actually reduce restrictions and increase liberties then that's a great thing. I do have my doubts.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it very hard to believe that PLEV will only introduce "no extra limitations" on wheels satisfying their requirements.

But even if that were the case, too strict requirements set a bad precedent. No government is going to do the extra work and allow "additional" wheels, they'll just say "well PLEVs are allowed and fuck the rest" (how drones are handled worldwide is a great example of ridiculously overdone regulation that basically ruins the entire thing if you want to follow the law instead of ignoring it). So effectively, there's no difference between overbearing limitations and overbearing "no-extra-limitations", they'll have more or less the same result: crippled wheels allowed, the rest is banned.

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

From my experience new laws and/or regulations add restrictions and reduce liberties.

Sure. However I guess your experience of EU law making is pretty limited as well, to say the least. 

It's very simple though: currently a number of EU countries, e.g., to name a big one, Germany, have essentially laws which make EUCs illegal to use in public. As it appears to be happening, the European bureaucrats in Brussels are going to make a law legalising (certain types of) EUCs, thereby demanding Germany to change their prohibitive legal situation.

Just to say it again, these bureaucrats in Brussels will not demand EU members to outlaw (certain) EUC devices, but to legalise them, in the case they aren't already legal.

2 hours ago, Mono said:

Sure. However I guess your experience of EU law making is pretty limited as well, to say the least. 

It's very simple though: currently a number of EU countries, e.g., to name a big one, Germany, have essentially laws which make EUCs illegal to use in public. As it appears to be happening, the European bureaucrats in Brussels are going to make a law legalising (certain types of) EUCs, thereby demanding Germany to change their prohibitive legal situation.

Just to say it again, these bureaucrats in Brussels will not demand EU members to outlaw (certain) EUC devices, but to legalise them, in the case they aren't already legal.

I see the distinction, and it does look like a positive change. Thanks for the clarification.

The pain point is to get technology and documentation/ processes in behind in place. As we see with the latest fails most of the current manufacturers are not in line to follow the street legal path in Europe. As Europe will show much more sales in the future as Asia this will be bad for companies not able to sell compliant products by 2018 in Europe. Safety is not a feature you enable in a minor release. That's a hard way to reach that goal.

A manufacturer must:

• The understanding why he needs to build a safety compliant PLEV
  • realise that this will boost sales and he needs to invest early to be in first line on the market
  • looking for the right partners to reach the target
  • have soft-/ hardware on a safety level (functional security)
  • maturity to do a risk analysis
  • do a lot of documented testing regarding PLEV requirements and do. this with every change implemented
  • without an established service management it's likely they don't reach the target even if they think they fulfil the requirements

It's not about signing a letter to be compliant (self declerstio). It's likely that customs likes to see a certification of a test lab. Which of the current manufacturers is able to get a full score of the points above?

Archived