Foot deformation after riding wheel

fearedbliss

Hey folks,

So I've probably been riding EUCs now for a little more than a year now (August 2015) and basically what's been happening is that I think a small bone on the side of my foot has grown due to the pressure of my feet being close/touching the EUC during riding. I've actually switched my riding style for months because of this (In a way where it's a little wider stance, or mostly one foot riding with the other foot with the problem having less weight and responsibility), however, even with this adjustment, I still feel like the bone touches, and I believe the bone is actually growing. I'm definitely gonna have to go get it checked by a doctor (I know that in some situations, it requires surgery in order to remove the excess bone and bring the foot back to a normal resemblance). Normally this type of stuff happens when people wear too tight shoes from what I've been reading (I don't know that much about it), but yea, I don't know if I had this before I was riding but riding has definitely made this much much more noticeable. What I've been doing recently is basically riding less, and I bought a normal (Non-Electric. I know  I know.. cave man era technology haha) scooter that has 200 mm tires (8 inches ~, Normal kid scooters have 98 mm tires - 3.8 ~ inches) so that I don't fall so easily on the street, plus it also makes for a smoother ride. Another thing I'm gonna be picking up today is a longboard. I don't know how to skateboard/longboard but I've been wanting to do it for a long time so I figured I would start learning now. Both of these forms of transportation I picked because of:

1. Weight (4-8 pounds for the skateboard/longboard, and 8.5-13 pounds for the scooter vs 19-40 pounds for the EUCs) - This also makes it easier for me to carry it around up and down the train stations here in NYC since it is a highly urban and population dense area.

2. Price ($90 dollars for a 200 mm scooter, and $250-$400 for a longboard with good big tires vs $300-$1600 EUCs and you guys already know that good EUCs basically start at $550 (if discounted) but usually around $700+)

So the above are the two main reasons why I went with scooters/longboards in addition to the catalyst being my foot.. Trying to do things that reduce pressure on the side of my foot so the problem doesn't get worse. I feel like I might need to get surgery eventually depending how big it gets or if it even continues to grow, but yea, I need to go talk to a doctor.

Pictures of my foot below:

http://imgur.com/a/UkNpU

47 minutes ago, fearedbliss said:

I still feel like the bone touches, and I believe the bone is actually growing. I'm definitely gonna have to go get it checked by a doctor (I know that in some situations, it requires surgery in order to remove the excess bone and bring the foot back to a normal resemblance). Normally this

It is called the talonavicular (TN) joint. Could be something as simple as inflammation , arthritis or a bone spur. Surgery should be your last option. When you stand barefooted does the TN touch the surface? That would mean your feet are pronated. If it really is bothering you in terms of pain then yes contact a doctor. If your feet are pronated but there is little or no pain it might be prudent to find a running shop that specializes in shoes for athletes. You do not need to be a runner to enter their establishment unless you know of an EUC Shoe shop:P They could easily set you up with something supportive to un-weight that region and reduce your pronation.

Figure-1-Talonavicular-Arthritis_gif.gif

@fearedbliss - I think ankle stabilisers might help you a lot. They pad, strengthen and protect the ankles, and may even help improve symptoms, but this is a personal observation only, not medical advice. Also, you may want to reexamine your technique, not squeezing the Ninebot so tightly with the ankles, exerting control moreso with the calves.

@Rehab1 Not sure what you mean by does it touch the floor. It's just a bone that's popping out a bit from the side of my right foot, and yea I knew surgery would be the last option. There is no pain or anything. It's not big enough for it to bother me from using shoes normally, but obviously if it keeps growing, eventually it will not be comfortable. At the moment any further growth I believe is completely preventable.

@litewaveI don't grip the wheel tightly and I also control wheel with calves, knees, not with my feet. Remember, I've been riding for more than a year, so prolly most of the "damage" that happened would have been in the first 6-7 months of riding, I already switched my riding style. It will be interesting to see what the doctor says.

@litewaveI just purchased two of these due to where my bone spur is and the position of what would be "padding" on these braces. So I'm basically not buying these for the ankle stabilization per say, but primarily to have a comfortable padding which should reduce injury to the bone, which in turn should reduce the bone build up. I'll let you know how they work. I believe I can still wear my shoes with these. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DY7BVIK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only have one bone spur on my right foot, however, I feel like my left foot is starting to slowly develop a spur in around the same spot, at the moment it is almost not noticeable but I want to prevent this from happening and be pro-active about it.

I cut a 3"-4" wide, 8" long, strip of 1" thick foam and wedge it into the side of my shoe and stick the rest under my pants. Provides just the right amount of padding to not bother my ankle bones. Very quick to put on and take off.

I thought about getting one of the braces, but it's a lot more work to put on and I don't think the padding can compare to 1" thick foam padding.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:54 AM, Marty Backe said:

I cut a 3"-4" wide, 8" long, strip of 1" thick foam and wedge it into the side of my shoe and stick the rest under my pants. Provides just the right amount of padding to not bother my ankle bones. Very quick to put on and take off.

I thought about getting one of the braces, but it's a lot more work to put on and I don't think the padding can compare to 1" thick foam padding.

@litewave @Marty BackeI received the ankle braces yesterday and put them both on. I was able to pretty easily and quickly put them on my feet and my foot actually still were able to go into my show with not many issues. It wasn't too tight or anything. I rode for almost two hours yesterday and almost felt no pain. Sometimes I felt just a little bit if I tried to squeeze hard (but that's expected at that point since the forced pressure if causing all the padding to be nullified). But yea, for general riding, this definitely provided a massive improvement. Now I just need to keep track of the bone spur to see if it keeps growing during just normal day stuff (with no wheel), and while riding the wheel with the braces.

29 minutes ago, fearedbliss said:

@litewave @Marty BackeI received the ankle braces yesterday and put them both on. I was able to pretty easily and quickly put them on my feet and my foot actually still were able to go into my show with not many issues. It wasn't too tight or anything. I rode for almost two hours yesterday and almost felt no pain. Sometimes I felt just a little bit if I tried to squeeze hard (but that's expected at that point since the forced pressure if causing all the padding to be nullified). But yea, for general riding, this definitely provided a massive improvement. Now I just need to keep track of the bone spur to see if it keeps growing during just normal day stuff (with no wheel), and while riding the wheel with the braces.

Good to know. Thanks for the update, I might give them a try.

Archived