1640Wh - 67,2V / 1600Wh - 84V

22 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Aligning the cells of current batteries is promising and cheap to add to the production line.  I believe this will be the next break.  Performance increases of 30-50% and faster charging without changing the current process of building batteries.  Just add a single step to the process.

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-li-ion-rechargeable-batteries-longer-re-charge.html

more fascinating education

thank you.... as always

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With that many battery packs, can't they provide two 5A chargers for a little extra cost and incorporate two charging ports so each charger only needs to charge half the packs at the same time?  As long as customers always charge both at the same time that would keep voltages even steven.  That might cut down the charging times?  Or maybe have a special four pronged plug and mating port where the two chargers join so all packs are guaranteed to charge simultaneously?

I would think of it like filling a truck or RV that has dual tanks.  Why not fill both tanks with two gas hoses rather than both with one?

3 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

With that many battery packs, can't they provide two 5A chargers for a little extra cost and incorporate two charging ports so each charger only needs to charge half the packs at the same time?  As long as customers always charge both at the same time that would keep voltages even steven.  That might cut down the charging times?  Or maybe have a special four pronged plug and mating port where the two chargers join so all packs are guaranteed to charge simultaneously?

I would think of it like filling a truck or RV that has dual tanks.  Why not fill both tanks with two gas hoses rather than both with one?

I believe either gotway itself or some of the distributors provide 2 charging ports upon request. I believe they turn the usb port into the 2nd charging port. The better of the 2 scenarios is when both ports are interconnected through a kind of a Y splitter and either port ( or both) can be used at the same time and they charges all the batteries at the same time. This way you will always be getting a uniform charge across all batteries

Rather than a Y connector or USB port, it might be better to use an entirely different charging port with four prongs and have two chargers that don't merge electrically.  The corresponding plug would just bring the cables together at the charging port from the chargers.  So effectively each 5A charger would charge half the packs simultaneously.  They would use heavy duty gauge wiring from the charging port to each group of batteries.  Think of it as parallel charging rather and serial charging.

For example if you were to take out half the batteries from one wheel and put them in a different wheel that has no batteries and then charge both wheels with two chargers rather than trying to charge two wheels with one charger with a Y splitter...  It would cut charging times down with two chargers going at the same time having to only charge half the packs... Wouldn't it?

26 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Rather than a Y connector or USB port, it might be better to use an entirely different charging port with four prongs and have two chargers that don't merge electrically.  The corresponding plug would just bring the cables together at the charging port from the chargers.  So effectively each 5A charger would charge half the packs simultaneously.  They would use heavy duty gauge wiring from the charging port to each group of batteries.  Think of it as parallel charging rather and serial charging.

For example if you were to take out half the batteries from one wheel and put them in a different wheel that has no batteries and then charge both wheels with two chargers rather than trying to charge two wheels with one charger with a Y splitter...  It would cut charging times down with two chargers going at the same time having to only charge half the packs... Wouldn't it?

I donk like this type of charging only half of the packs because the other half wont get the same charge and the packs will be out of balance. The reason some gotway distributors provide two ports is that the users who have regular slow charger, can get another slow charger and charge faster. And if so, i believe the user should be able to charge the wheel with either one or two chargers and be able to charge all of the packs whichever the scenario. This means that the wires from either charger should be connected to all of the batteries in parallel.

But in any case this is just a patch or an afterthought. Ideally, yes there should just be 1 charging port with thick gauge wires and appropriately rated connectors branching off to all the batteries so they charge in parralel, and a fast 5A or so charger ( just one). This will just be easier and more convenient.

On 13/10/2016 at 8:09 AM, zlymex said:

Those tethers are cables for backpack battery modules(usually 340Wh) neccesary for longer trip with hills. 

This is very interesting... :)

How do you use those backpack battery? Just on demand, or always connected? Via the standard charging socket of the wheel, or via a custom specialized circuit? etc...

But may be this needs a new thread! ;)

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:40 PM, Greg Spalding said:

i'm sure you are correct.... i just wonder what the BREAK will be to give us more than 1 hour of use from our wheels?

Well I can ride (in average) my V8 for at least 1.5h and KS-160 / 840Wh for 2.5h ;) 

15 minutes ago, sbouju said:

How do you use those backpack battery? Just on demand, or always connected? Via the standard charging socket of the wheel, or via a custom specialized circuit? etc..

In general they're just plugged in the charging port of the wheel (providing it has the reverse flow protection, if not you'd need to build it into the GX-16 plug going from the external battery pack).

56 minutes ago, HEC said:

Well I can ride (in average) my V8 for at least 1.5h and KS-160 / 840Wh for 2.5h ;) 

I like to hear those numbers

for the 2 1/2 hours on the King Song... I suppose you are riding mostly between 50 and 75% of the top speed to get that sort of longevity out of one charge of the battery? Obviously I'm never going to approach anything higher than that with that particular wheel, because we had seen what can happen

As always, thanks for the information and education

44 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

for the 2 1/2 hours on the King Song... I suppose you are writing mostly between 50 and 75% of the top speed to get that sort of longevity out of one charge of the battery? Obviously I'm never going to approach anything higher than that with that particular wheel, because we had seen what can happen

My usual "cruising" speed is about 25 - 26 Km/h (I have first speed alarms set to 27 Km/h on both) and once the battery is depleted it will push down the speed to 20 Km/h. Including some occasional "slow traffic" (pedestrians, slower bikes, drunks etc.) or crossings and traffic lights resulted in originally quoted riding times. Overall average speeds are around 20 - 22 Km/h.

34 minutes ago, HEC said:

My usual "cruising" speed is about 25 - 26 Km/h (I have first speed alarms set to 27 Km/h on both) and once the battery is depleted it will push down the speed to 20 Km/h. Including some occasional "slow traffic" (pedestrians, slower bikes, drunks etc.) or crossings and traffic lights will resulted in originally quoted riding times. Overall average speeds are around 20 - 22 Km/h.

that really is perfect for me.... 

lost 10# (to increase both MY and MY BATTERY'S longevity)

maybe 85 kg now.... still too much

i appreciate your experience and thoughts

thank you

43 minutes ago, sbouju said:

This is very interesting... :)

How do you use those backpack battery? Just on demand, or always connected? Via the standard charging socket of the wheel, or via a custom specialized circuit? etc...

But may be this needs a new thread! ;)

External battery pack is connected via the charging socket. It should be plug-in at start(EUC and external packs are all charged full) and is always connected to avoid too much voltage difference. The worst situation to use external pack is to plug-in when low battery, this will create very large current flow from external to internal and damage the charging circuit.

On IPS EUCs where charge protection is build into the mainboard and fragile, a separate socket must be added specifically for the external battery pack. We had several instances that people plug-in external battery pack directly to the charge socket of IPS T260 and fried the mainboard when climb long and steep hills.

1 hour ago, Ben Wilson said:

It came with one 4 pin charging port and one usb port. On a full charge I have drove the wheel all week and still have 30% power. I was told it will go about 100 miles a charge. MY get 80 the way I drive. Got up to 36kph today.

100 miles on a charge?

maybe in the trunk of car.... :unsure:

no 1640 has seen ANYTHING CLOSE TO THAT RANGE

seriously, how many miles have you ridden to get to 30% left?

I have changed apps a few times this week so I don't have complete logs. I also want about 25 miles today at constant speeds of 28 to 35kph. So, I may have gone 50 miles so far. As I said, I won't get that many miles the way I drive. Maybe 75 miles but I will recharge before pushing it on a low battery charge.

1 hour ago, Ben Wilson said:

I have changed apps a few times this week so I don't have complete logs. I also want about 25 miles today at constant speeds of 28 to 35kph. So, I may have gone 50 miles so far. As I said, I won't get that many miles the way I drive. Maybe 75 miles but I will recharge before pushing it on a low battery charge.

that is unreal

i'm happy to hear it

makes no sense considering the distance folks on the 1640/67.2 have been experiencing

this is quite something no matter how LIGHT you are

thanks for the update and further information

when will we see more videos from you, by the way?  Please

3 hours ago, Ben Wilson said:

Based on my experience with the ACM I would get 70 km from the 1640 Wh on a flat road riding moderate.

What's the max cruising speed ?

I guess it's not 36 km/h as on the 67.2V models. Simply adding 25%, but that may be wrong, the theoretical max cruising speed for 84V would be 45 km/h (last alarm starts at 46 km/h - cut off around 57 km/h). You can try a quick lift test but might get a couple km/h higher than riding it, squeeze the wheel between your legs and hold it with both hands to make it easier to control.

Android app GPS speedometer with distance:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.jensp.hastighetsmatare

Lift test on my Msuper 3s+ was 66.78 kph. I wish I could silence the beeps at 30 kph as I want to run a cruising speed of 40 kph. I get to 35 kph and drop back due to 3 annoying beeps! I also plan to do more videos especially one for a 45 degree climb! Yes, it is slow but will go to the top. 

6 hours ago, Ben Wilson said:

Lift test on my Msuper 3s+ was 66.78 kph. I wish I could silence the beeps at 30 kph as I want to run a cruising speed of 40 kph. I get to 35 kph and drop back due to 3 annoying beeps! I also plan to do more videos especially one for a 45 degree climb! Yes, it is slow but will go to the top. 

6 hours ago, Ben Wilson said:

Do you have the first 2 alarms shut off? If you do then the set of alarms you are hearing are the 80%power alarms so if you getting those alarms at 30kph then cut out is coming way before 66kph. It would be more inline with 43 like a V2.   Unless the last set of beeps don't mean 80% power

35 minutes ago, Linnea Lin Gotway said:

1600wh 84V, 1640wh 67V, same motor power, but 1600wh model with higher torque. 1640wh model is only for China market, 1600wh is for oversea market. 

What are the torque values? Any power/torque curve available to compare?

Why should I update from MSuperV2 to V3? What about brake performance on the 1600 Wh version? Better than 820 Wh? More torque for braking?

On 10/15/2016 at 7:19 PM, Ben Wilson said:

On a full charge I have drove the wheel all week and still have 30% power.

Hey Ben, congrats on your new wheel!
Does it really take 12 hours to charge the thing up!!? (that's what the specs say)
Have you any experience with the older models prior to 84v model - I'm sure you're well aware that everyone wants to know more about the differences...
Is it faster, does it have more torque and better braking and of course, do women throw themselves at you when you ride by with greater intensity than what you experienced with prior models?

Archived