Do It Yourself Rear-View Mirror

Nuo Meng

I made a rear-view mirror that is on the back of my hand so when I want to see if a car is coming up from behind I just have to raise my hand to see if there's any one coming!  
I made it from one of those stick on mirrors for putting on car rear view mirrors - got it online for $1.95. Then I attached it to a strap with double sided tape and put velcro on the ends of the strap that's just long enough to wrap around my hand, and cut a small hole for my thumb to fit through. It works great - now I don't have to use the rear view mirror on my helmet, which kept moving every time I hit a bump.
Ride safe!

rear view.jpg

Well, I have that "helmet mirror" type (got inspired by @Marty Backe) and it works well. Yes, it moves a bit when I jump as the helmet itself moves but not that much again to lose the picture. So, it is rather about the helemt fitting to one's head: if it fits well, it does not move on the head and the mirror is stable. BTW, I am getting a lot of attention with that construction :). But sometimes also some stupid commets :(

• 3 months later...

I purchased a $4 mirror from eBay (though I've seen the same units around for more) http://www.ebay.com/itm/162311953964?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT got rid of the velcro tape and just tucked the tab under the outer skin of my ski helmet (coated it with a little Bob Smith's cyanoacrylate glue).   It's solidly attached to my helmet, and out front far enough that I can see anything important happening behind me.  The shaft can be bent to get the perfect angle.  

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 2.22.10 PM.png

IMG_4555 2.JPG

IMG_4556 2.JPG

7 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I purchased a $4 mirror from eBay (though I've seen the same units around for more) http://www.ebay.com/itm/162311953964?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT got rid of the velcro tape and just tucked the tab under the outer skin of my ski helmet (coated it with a little Bob Smith's cyanoacrylate glue).   It's solidly attached to my helmet, and out front far enough that I can see anything important happening behind me.  The shaft can be bent to get the perfect angle.  

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 2.22.10 PM.png

IMG_4555 2.JPG

IMG_4556 2.JPG

Hey! That's about $4 cheaper than the identical mirror I bought from Amazon. Good to know.  I epoxied mine to the helmet.

@Marty Backe I got the idea from your photos.  I'm still experimenting with placement of the mirror (any advice you might have would be appreciated) but (as you can see from my picture) have opted initially to put it out in front as far as I can so I don't have to refocus my eyes to see in the rear.  The only problem is that I occasionally catch the mirror on a door, or something else when I am walking about.  I'm also going to experiment with the mirror pulled across my forehead and closer to my eyes.  

Helmet.jpg

52 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

@Marty Backe I got the idea from your photos.  I'm still experimenting with placement of the mirror (any advice you might have would be appreciated) but (as you can see from my picture) have opted initially to put it out in front as far as I can so I don't have to refocus my eyes to see in the rear.  The only problem is that I occasionally catch the mirror on a door, or something else when I am walking about.  I'm also going to experiment with the mirror pulled across my forehead and closer to my eyes.  

Helmet.jpg

I also have mine positioned so that it's far in front. And I also bent it like you did so that it's off to the side, otherwise it tends to block your vision (I'm saying this for other people who may be reading this).

Yep, mine's also hitting things too :huh:, but since I epoxied it to the helmet nothing really happens. Minor annoyance.

Archived