ACM 16 Dumps Me When Starting On An Incline

14 minutes ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

wow after watching - I can only imagine how much money Gotway is making.....there's a guy right there literally putting everything together... I wonder why the battery is covered?

These are Stickers for glueing them to the Shell....

Honestly i do not think that Gotway is making soooo much Money...in Asia the wheels...especially Gotway...are VERY cheap! Transportation, VAT and taxes makes a good 40% of the oversea Price, if not more!

Example?M I bought a new KS16 680 wh in Bangkok Thailand for 800 Dollars...and even the seller in BKK and KS itself made a profit on that Price!!! Here in Germany i would have to pay 1500 Dollar for the exact same wheel!!!

And Boys: That is NOTHING against our wonderful sellers here, it are all extra costs they can not avoid!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

kind of makes you never want to buy another product from that company again... Because they don't care about repeat customers

:-) This is China...please all take into account that if the wheel would have been build on european/German Standards/production halls and certification, we would have to pay 5 times the Price :-)

and like i said before: Gotway has a hell of good Reputation for their driving Performance and they all (KS, GW etc) are in the learning process of what the oversea customers Claims and want to have...

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

These are Stickers for glueing them to the Shell....

Honestly i do not think that Gotway is making soooo much Money...in Asia the wheels...even Gotway...are VERY cheap! Transportation, VAT and taxes makes a good 40% of the oversea Price, if not more!

Example?M I bought a KS16 680 wh in Bangkok Thailand for 800 Dollars...and even the seller in BKK AND KS itself made a profit on that Price!!! Here in Germany i would have to pay 1500 Dollar for the exact same wheel!!!

And Boys: That is NOTHING against our wonderful sellers here, it are all extra costs they can not avoid!

Ahh ok makes sense!! Thanks for the information..... I do believe there should be a company looking into Speed & Distance while maintaining safety precautions for the rider. 

Assuming that all those guys are qualified especially in the (safety aspect of things) and not just memorized the read the how to put a gotway together manual... 

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

:-) This is China...please all take into account that if the wheel would have been build on european/German Standards/production halls and certification, we would have to pay 5 times the Price :-)

and like i said before: Gotway has a hell of good Reputation for their driving Performance and they all (KS, GW etc) are in the learning process of what the oversea customers Claims and want to have...

fair enough

i just wish they wouldn't LET their wheels travel at 60 kmh

i want our members here to be with us a LONG, LONG time

Why can't someone convince them to wind the motor for torque and not speed?

1 minute ago, Greg Spalding said:

fair enough

i just wish they wouldn't LET their wheels travel at 60 kmh

i want our members here to be with us a LONG, LONG time

Why can't someone convince them to wind the motor for torque and not speed?

Its very weird and not sure if i can describe it.. I think its human nature.. I started on a Ninebot C. When I first got it, to me - it was too fast. after getting familiar and confortable - i realized it was to slow.. .So I Upgraded to the E Plus -... Same thing happen.. To slow upgraded to a P.... and it goes on.. Sticking to the Ninebot Line for as long as I could I started realizing, riding on something that wont allow you to push any further makes you want to seek else where..

My wife has an S2 and she now wants a faster wheel... Basically I have to slow down for her to catch up.. She's constantly beeping........ Im all for a company that wants to push the limits while maintaining safety of course... Who knows someone might come up with a 60 mph wheel with redundent cautions in place...  

Again i've spoken to alot of people about Gotways and most have nothing but great things to say about them.. 

wheels.jpg

9 minutes ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Its very weird and not sure if i can describe it.. I think its human nature.. I started on a Ninebot C. When I first got it, to me - it was too fast. after getting familiar and confortable - i realized it was to slow.. .So I Upgraded to the E Plus -... Same thing happen.. To slow upgraded to a P.... and it goes on.. Sticking to the Ninebot Line for as long as I could I started realizing, riding on something that wont allow you to push any further makes you want to seek else where..

My wife has an S2 and she now wants a faster wheel... Basically I have to slow down for her to catch up.. She's constantly beeping........ Im all for a company that wants to push the limits while maintaining safety of course... Who knows someone might come up with a 60 mph wheel with redundent cautions in place...  

I know those Feelings...but now, as i have with the V3 a wheel that can go 40kmh without Problems over nearly it's complete Batterie range...i have to say that driving over 32-33 does NOT feel comfortable anymore! It is -at least for me- so fricking fast that my mind does not feel good any more! That wheel goes good, no wobbling or whatsoever, but it is not as nice as grooving with 27kmh! It is to fast for safely Slalom and...hard to describe...perhaps that is also because i know how a 30kmh Crash feels...pure smashing onto the ground!

But i can honestly say...for me the Speed addiction is now over! 32-33 is the last comfortable max and thats it!

9 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I know those Feelings...but now, as i have with the V3 a wheel that can go 40kmh without Problems over nearly it's complete Batterie range...i have to say that driving over 32-33 does NOT feel comfortable anymore! It is -at least for me- so fricking fast that my mind does not feel good any more! That wheel goes good, no wobbling or whatsoever, but it is not as nice as grooving with 27kmh! It is to fast for safely Slalom and...hard to describe...perhaps that is also because i know how a 30kmh Crash feels...pure smashing onto the ground!

But i can honestly say...for me the Speed addiction is now over! 32-33 is the last comfortable max and thats it!

Makes sense! Wow crashing at 30km wow.. I'm glad your ok! When you think about it in your perspective it makes sense. I'll stick with the ACM and my wife is waiting for the V8. I agree with you 22-25 mph is perfect!!!

Thank you.

24 minutes ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Look at the bright side though - at least you've managed to convince your wife to ride with you (or vice versa maybe?) ;) 

27 minutes ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Its very weird and not sure if i can describe it.. I think its human nature..

Again i've spoken to alot of people about Gotways and most have nothing but great things to say about them.. 

While I do see your point. It is he responsible for companies to create items which are 100% dangerous

there is no such thing as any redundant caution for a wheel that would travel 60 mph

I hope we can both agree on that, please

the rest of your point is well taken by me.... because i started off with a ninebot/segway miniPRO... It still a lot of fun, by the way

I think 20 mph (33kmh) is fast enough for most people, but if you fall flat on your face when your WHEEL stops working all of a sudden, even at 15 mph it isn't going to be pretty.

Everyone here knows we are seeing the infancy of an amazing emerging technology and we'd like to see it and door into the future. One sure way to make sure governmental agencies squash any hope for EUCs to exist 10 years from now is to have some company make wheels which can travel 60 mph. Also, because 100% of us would rather have a wheel that travels 40 mph But twice as much or as is currently present is ridiculous they are not listening to us and rewinding their wheel to do what the people want... 

companies who don't listen to their customer bases and fail to implement their suggestions quickly fade away into the forgotten abyss

i do NOT want GotWay to be one such entity

14 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

While I do see your point. It is he responsible for companies to create items which are 100% dangerous

there is no such thing as any redundant caution for a wheel that would travel 60 mph

the rest of your point is well taken by me.... because i started off with a ninebot/segway miniPRO... It still a lot of fun, by the way

I think 20 mph (33kmh) is fast enough for most people, but if you fall flat on your face when your WHEEL stops working all of a sudden, even at 15 mph it isn't going to be pretty.

Everyone here knows we are seeing the infancy of an amazing emerging technology and we'd like to see it and door into the future. One sure way to make sure governmental agencies squash any hope for EUCs to exist 10 years from now is to have some company make wheels which can travel 60 mph. Also, because 100% of us would rather have a wheel that travels 40 mph But twice as much or as is currently present is ridiculous they are not listening to us and rewinding their wheel to do what the people want... 

companies who don't listen to their customer bases and fail to implement their suggestions quickly fade away into the forgotten abyss

Trust me I agree with you, I dont agree with a wheel going 60mph...... But if a company finds a way to make it happen while keeping the rider safe i'm all for it. Until that day happens a current wheel that can go 60mph with todays technology - I wouldn't even look at it and I pity the fool that goes for it.

But that way of thinking only hinders the evolution of technology.

Car crashes happen everyday but they wont ban cars. Isn't car accidents in the top 5 for most deaths?

Apparently the airplane is the safest way to travel. People die from them all the time. 

As cruel as it sounds things have to go wrong in order for it to be fixed. 

I agree none of us wants to be ginea-pigs.... Soon our EU's wont even touch the ground to worry about bumps and pot-holes... would you mind going 60 then?

1 hour ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Its very weird and not sure if i can describe it.. I think its human nature..

fair enough

i don't disagree... i do get your point and i appreciate your relating your thoughts to all of us

thank you

2 hours ago, HEC said:

Exactly my sentiment! I'd rather have MSuper 84V with the half (or let's better say 60 - 65%) of it's max speed but double the torque ..

Full ack. That speed fights (to be the fastest) will cost reputation in the near future. I can only state: Wrong direction and very stupid.

Give me a wheel that:

- can travel a steady 30 km/h, even with the 200 kg person aboard

- can ascend, safely, A 45° incline for 100meters without losing a single kilometer per hour and without elevating its internal temperature by a single degree

- will consistently travel 40 km per charge with a 200 kg person aboard

I know it can be done and I know that kind of wheel will sell in large quantities

3 hours ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Geez I kinda wish I knew all of this before ordering an ACM... Coming from a Ninebot P while i've never had issues with it - Its was well documented at some point to fail under pressure, I never felt safe on it and aways kept my Iron Man suite . Safe guard up just incase, especially cruising around 18 mph durring my commute every morning to work.

I ordered an ACM really admiring the speed / distance  per charge as there are times when I would like to go faster and farther - limitations hindering (to me) the Ninebot Lines..

No firmware updates installed by users & now incline issues. Once received I will ride very cautiously and stay in bike lanes, at least until I know my wheel is safe. There are people who swear by Gotway and has never had any issues...

Very weird indeed, My question is why give the power to update the firmware to the distributor.... Your telling me if there's a fix for an issue I gotta ship my wheel to china?? wow..

Don't regret your ACM purchase. You'll love it. Except for '3' false starts (where I was moving at 0mph - no injuries) out of 250 miles, it's been perfect. It's a powerhouse of a wheel; fast, stable, can take a beating, etc.

Regardless of what's being said about Gotway, their products seem to be very robust and enjoyed by many (including me).

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Don't regret your ACM purchase. You'll love it. Except for '3' false starts (where I was moving at 0mph - no injuries) out of 250 miles, it's been perfect. It's a powerhouse of a wheel; fast, stable, can take a beating, etc.

Regardless of what's being said about Gotway, their products seem to be very robust and enjoyed by many (including me).

Thank you sir! I cant argue with that - Everyone I spoke to, nothing but great things to say about the Gotway Brand! I really hope your issues with your wheel get resolved. Thank you for reporting this.

I myself once I get the wheel will make sure to report errors as they come.

1 hour ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

I myself once I get the wheel will make sure to report errors as they come.

Yes because you're experienced rider and well informed about the possible risks from forums and other sources but I pity newcomer who based on somebody's recommendation purchases one of these "beasts" as a first EUC with a zero experience and minimal prior research and suffer a serious accident (or god forbid worse) in a few days or weeks once he / she will start feeling confident enough to speed up :wacko: I personally find this irresponsible from the companies producing such high speed EUCs with basically zero chance of withstanding the crash if anything on the wheel goes wrong (leaving aside rider crashing due to the inexperience or being hit by truck etc.) and I completely on board with Inmotion decision to limit top speed of their wheels at 30 Km/h. Technically anything capable of sustained speeds above 32 - 35 Km/h should be IMO classified as "extreme sport" device / vehicle and prohibited from sidewalk / bicycle lane / street use and explicitly sold for off road / competition purposes only.

On 9/22/2016 at 5:25 AM, Marty Backe said:

Three times now my ACM 16 V2 has dumped me when mounting the wheel.

In all three cases the wheel has been on and balancing. When I mounted it to start riding, it immediated rotated forward and dumped me on the ground. The one common element for all three occurances is that I was on an incline (nothing dramatic).

Perhaps I leaned forward too much, although I don't think so. Maybe there is insufficient torque available when starting on an incline? It's a rare event (3 times out of 250 miles of ride time), but I'm a little cautious now when on a hill. Once moving forward I've never had any problems.

This post is a FYI. But I'm also wondering if others have experienced this.

Sorry I'm late to this thread.  I just want to know which version your ACM is?  Is it a version AFTER the board became "12 mosfet"?

14 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Sorry I'm late to this thread.  I just want to know which version your ACM is?  Is it a version AFTER the board became "12 mosfet"?

Yes, I have the 12 mosfet version.

I still think my occurrences were due to being on an incline and maybe starting to aggressively (leaning too far forward).

Happened to me as well. 

I have the V2 with 12 mosfets and new motor connector plug.. 

Brand new ACM with total ride time of five minutes:  I started the ACM, yes on a minor incline, I heard the beep, jumped on immediately, and FLIP!  

I caught myself and let the ACM twirl on the ground like a fish out of water.  

I had already read your post before I got the ACM, so I was ready for the failure.  Now I follow what a user posted above (sorry I can't be bothered to look up the name) about starting the ACM, rolling it back and forth a bit while watching the lights in the rear of the device, and then making a "leap of faith."  

To be honest, I'm scared as sh*t to ride the ACM after this failure.  I'm coming from a 9B1E+ with over 100km of riding and this failure never happened:  I started the 9B1E+, hopped on and took off looking like a champ.  But, I know that in order to build confidence back, I must ride no matter what.  So, commence operation "leap of faith."

And yes, if this keeps happening, I'll have to move away from Gotway.  Sad face.  Generally I'm happy, but I hope enough riders post the issues to force Gotway into better customer service or lose business.  That's just how things are going to work out - sorry Gotway.

Thanks for posting this issue.  Good luck to everyone.

9 hours ago, h0ts1lk said:

Happened to me as well. 

I have the V2 with 12 mosfets and new motor connector plug.. 

Brand new ACM with total ride time of five minutes:  I started the ACM, yes on a minor incline, I heard the beep, jumped on immediately, and FLIP!  

I caught myself and let the ACM twirl on the ground like a fish out of water.  

I had already read your post before I got the ACM, so I was ready for the failure.  Now I follow what a user posted above (sorry I can't be bothered to look up the name) about starting the ACM, rolling it back and forth a bit while watching the lights in the rear of the device, and then making a "leap of faith."  

To be honest, I'm scared as sh*t to ride the ACM after this failure.  I'm coming from a 9B1E+ with over 100km of riding and this failure never happened:  I started the 9B1E+, hopped on and took off looking like a champ.  But, I know that in order to build confidence back, I must ride no matter what.  So, commence operation "leap of faith."

And yes, if this keeps happening, I'll have to move away from Gotway.  Sad face.  Generally I'm happy, but I hope enough riders post the issues to force Gotway into better customer service or lose business.  That's just how things are going to work out - sorry Gotway.

Thanks for posting this issue.  Good luck to everyone.

This is not good at all....... Thank you for your findings.... As as mine get here i'll have to do a test.......

I just got back from a 27 mile ride with @noisycarlos and @jrkline. riding around Griffith Park and the Hollywood Hills. We had a great time. Once during the ride this happened again, but I was prepared and nothing happened. I can say without a doubt that it was a case of starting on a good incline and having to lean forward a lot to start. It must not have had enough torque.

This is consistent with the other 3 times, so I no longer feel the wheel is at fault. It's just a case of trying to start facing into a hill. It's better to start crossways and then turn into the hill.

We had over 4500 ft elevation gain throughout the ride, and it was 95 degrees. My ACM 16 powered through it all with no battery or heat issues. The NineBot and KS18 did have to periodically rest because of overheating. So this is a big thumbs up to having 12 mosfets. Hopefully all the manufacturers go in that direction.

On 9/21/2016 at 4:25 PM, Marty Backe said:

Maybe there is insufficient torque available when starting on an incline?

My ninebot one e+ will not start up almost any incline from a dead stop, but once moving a few miles per hour will climb a fairly steep slope.  It seems the faster it goes the more torque and acceleration it gets.  The faster it goes the faster the acceleration, especially near full battery.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I just got back from a 27 mile ride with @noisycarlos and @jrkline. riding around Griffith Park and the Hollywood Hills. We had a great time. Once during the ride this happened again, but I was prepared and nothing happened. I can say without a doubt that it was a case of starting on a good incline and having to lean forward a lot to start. It must not have had enough torque.

This is consistent with the other 3 times, so I no longer feel the wheel is at fault. It's just a case of trying to start facing into a hill. It's better to start crossways and then turn into the hill.

We had over 4500 ft elevation gain throughout the ride, and it was 95 degrees. My ACM 16 powered through it all with no battery or heat issues. The NineBot and KS18 did have to periodically rest because of overheating. So this is a big thumbs up to having 12 mosfets. Hopefully all the manufacturers go in that direction.

remember what i alway say:

"it didn't happen if we don't have a video"

LOL

WHERE IS OUR VIDEO :o

i'm wondering how a KS16 or V8 would have done on this ride?

you said 27 miles

what happened with the ninebot?  did he have to bring 3 to make all those miles with the elevation change? :D

5 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

remember what i alway say:

"it didn't happen if we don't have a video"

LOL

WHERE IS OUR VIDEO :o

i'm wondering how a KS16 or V8 would have done on this ride?

you said 27 miles

what happened with the ninebot?  did he have to bring 3 to make all those miles with the elevation change? :D

@noisycarlos had the Ninebot, so he only did the Hollywood Hills segment. @jrkline had the KS18 and he made the whole trip (plus a couple of miles) with only a few breaks needed due to overheating. But remember, these were extreme conditions: steep hills and 95 degree temperatures.

I posted a summary in the Local Groups forum, and I think @noisycarlos will be posting some video.

Archived