Upgraded from 132Wh to 210Wh (3500mA/h) battery pack

My battery packs had the originals 2.2Ah 18650 cells (132 Wh). I just upgraded with a new ones of 3.5Ah, which is an energy storage increase of 59% :-)

The original cells were measured with a tecnhical equipment to have only 2.05Ah, which means that in reality, the increase will be about 70%!!

The cells are "Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh - 10A" and were bought online here: https://www.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/sanyo-18650ga.html

I have a friend that have a local workshop and store to upgrade battery packs of bikes and do all of other repairs:

The place where he solders the battery tabs:
battery_upgrade_02.jpg

And BIG battery packs almost ready to for some bikes:
battery_upgrade_01.jpg

And when I were soldering the new batteries on the BMS PCB:
battery_upgrade_03.jpg

In the end I used the strong gray duct tape:
battery_upgrade_04.jpg

On 17.9.2016 at 10:26 PM, electric_vehicle_lover said:

The place where he solders the battery tabs:
battery_upgrade_02.jpg

Is that a car starter battery? I read somewhere that they can give up to 400+A in spikes, should be enough for welding... ;) 

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 9:26 PM, electric_vehicle_lover said:

battery_upgrade_01.jpg

In the end I used the strong gray duct tape:

Wow - that's some battery pack! 2x230 Cells ... almost 6kWh!!

And you'd be better off using the heat shrink tube instead of any kind of tapes (that includes the "stretchy" electrical tapes as well).

4 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

I don't have shrink tube. Any potential problem with that tapes?

Most of the tapes and mainly the glue component are not designed for prolonged high temperature exposures and duct tape is not also certified for electric or moist isolations. There are some electrical tapes designed for the high temperatures and they even harden a bit but in general you better of ordering a heat shrink tube of correct diameter and replace the tape by it once it will arrive. Also the tube acts both as shock protector as well as additional strengthening of the battery pack which is hard to achieve by (manually) winding the tape around.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, TiagoFigueiredo said:

Do you guys reckon a battery pack upgrade like this could work on the solowbeel too?

Maybe. Upgrading the battery pack could imply, that one "overpowers" his wheel.

at https://airwheel.ru/test-monokoles-na-dinostende/ they tested a battery updrade for an V8 inmotion. The owner was happy with the higher power of his wheel, but the test blew the fuse of the EUC - so by upgrading the batteries one could risk burned fuses/motherboards.

Maybe your wheel withstands some additional "stress"....

Ps.: this concerns could also be quite overcautios - with this linked tests also some original "factory" wheels got their fuse blown...

Probably.

21 minutes ago, TiagoFigueiredo said:

good evening to all here

do you guys reckon a battery pack upgrade like this could work on the solowbeel too?

Probably yes. If you are in Portugal, I can get you in contacto with the shop that do these upgrades. They are very profissional and they this since many years so they have knowledge and experience.

3 hours ago, TiagoFigueiredo said:

good evening to all here

do you guys reckon a battery pack upgrade like this could work on the solowbeel too?

Attention...old Solowheels did not Use Li-Ion...they used LiFePO4....as i know/remember you have to Change number of cells then!

Also i dont know if you just can use the BMS then!

Archived