Wobble reduction

chopsywa

Hi all

I am a newbie. I just got my first EUC, a Gotway MCM V3 260wh. I have watched many Youtube videos and read tips on this forum. I decided against a strap. I am not going to try to keep this pristine. I will call the scratches and war wounds "patina". :)

Anyway, I have been at it for about an hour. I can get on and go now without holding on to something and I can steer around things, but I am not yet trying to turn around. I am riding on lawn which I know is harder, because as I cross driveways it seems really easy, but it preserves me and the wheel.

The issue I have no is wobble. I believe it is to do with foot placement. It will be an issue of overdamping / underdamping similar to the CG in an aircraft. My natural tendency is to think I am too far back, but I think I may actually be too far forward. If I place my feet evenly on the pads, my legs are behind the axle. If I align my legs with the axle, my feet are way forward. 

I guess I have two questions. 

1. Should I centre my feet on the pads, or my legs on the wheel?

2. If I am getting up a wobble, how do I stop it and what am I doing wrong to get it started?

I think it might be time to take a rest and a Scotch. :)

Cheers

Mark

Hey Mark.

What I have found is that your ankle bone, that bony part that sticks out to the side, needs to be lined up with the axle of the wheel. So on my small Huanxi, my toes actually are over the front of the pedal. My shin is just in front of the center line of the calf padding. I'm not so much squeezing the wheel with my calves as I am making sure there is gentle contact. Thats what prevents the wobble. When turning, the inside calve get more pressure.  Bend your knees ever so slightly to absorb bumps, but stand up very straight like you want to show you have perfect posture. 

And I didn't say this, but have a beer...

Good luck. It's worth the effort. Once you get it it's one of the most natural things in the world. Enjoy the learning process.

Q~

@chopsywa, as @Questorhas said your feet do need to stick out front more than back so that your CofG is over the axle.

A good test, which is something you need to remember to learn anyway, is to practice braking hard as well as accelerating. If your feet are in the right place braking and accelerating should have similar difficulty..

Beginners seem to do one of two things: either have their feet symmetrical on the peddles (I.e. Equal overhang front and back, which is too far back). Or have their feet too far forwards as it makes it easier to move forwards without feeling like they are leaning forward too much.

Thanks guys

I think it is just practice. Every now and then I get a wobble. I just slow right down till it stops and then go again. Tackled hills and corners today. I can see why people who have tried this get hooked.

It's a combination of incorrect position of feet on pedals / COG together with "inexperienced" rider where you're a bit anxious and "stiff" on the wheel. Once you'll get more relaxed and you body weight will subconsciously move around to keep the balance the wobble will be gone ;) You seem to be a fast learner so that should be much sooner for you that for many others.

18 hours ago, Questor said:

@Questor didn't say it, and @HEC hinted at it...

As a learner, being tense is counter-productive - But as a fellow antipodean, you will both appreciate this and benefit from this...

Have a beer, maybe two (but no more). It will help you relax a little and "flow." Which will take you a long way toward mastering this skill.

On 9/18/2016 at 4:32 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Have a beer, maybe two (but no more). It will help you relax a little and "flow." Which will take you a long way toward mastering this skill.

Yep I hear you!

I just took some time out at work and have done about 2km of figure 8s in our carpark. More scratches on the wheel now. She's looking well used. I have been having problems doing smooth turns under power because it feels like I am going to fall forward. I suppose this is natural, but I tried programming the wheel to madden mode (from comfort). This has helped and I am getting much smoother holding more speed in my turns. I am putting the electrics under more strain now as the foot movements translate to lots of ESC action, but I am sure it is made for this. 

Is that falling forward in turns sensation normal and do I just have to learn to trust the wheel, or could it be that at 90kg I am too heavy for comfort mode?

1 hour ago, chopsywa said:

Is that falling forward in turns sensation normal and do I just have to learn to trust the wheel, or could it be that at 90kg I am too heavy for comfort mode?

Many wheels automatically allow the pedals to tilt slightly forwards when doing turns at slow speeds (ie. it probably recognizes the sideways tilt and at slow speeds, adjusts the tilt-compensation to allow more tilt), I guess the idea is to make it easier to turn tightly at slow speed.

2 hours ago, chopsywa said:

Being heavier can make leaning forward less desirable - I personally hate it, as my mind tells me the physics don't work and I tense up. 

An alternative is to stay more upright and use your foot angle to control acceleration - toes down accelerates, toes up decelerates. And riding that way may alleviate your falling sensations. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

Motorcycle gloves, and a helmet, are your friends (I have to admit I don't wear either myself, but my wheel is really slow and I am pretty careful)

I do hope you're wearing some kind of head protection because falling over even at rest can cause a life altering head injury... which I'm sure you know

You can get some nice pairs of motorcycle / BMX gloves to help protect the hands.  I always wear mine after butt planting on my generic wheel while learning.  That reminds me I need to get some new ones as the ones I'm using are for summer use so they let a lot of cool air in.  Riding on one wheel can be more dangerous than riding a moped or motorcycle going at the same speed so why not pad up as much as possible?

On 9/17/2016 at 9:50 AM, Questor said:

On 9/18/2016 at 4:32 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Q~

Beer was involved my first ride, yes just hopped on and rode 10m, second try 30m. Wobbling, but got me hooked. 

I wear fingerless gloves with wrist protectors called Hillbilly gloves. They are quick and easy to put on as they have only one Velcro strap.  I recommend them. I haven't fallen yet but hopefully I'm ready. 

Archived