If you forget about safety, it will remind you...

Cloud

An unpleasant faceplant this morning on 30% battery at 30 kph and headwind.

someone like me should have known better than that.

lessons (re) learned? Well, there is a few:

1. Dont forget to put on your elbow guards in the morning 

2. Remember that speed appears lower on a bike lane

3. Music coming out of your wheel can muffle the speed beeps

4. Low battery faceplants can occur with no tilt back

5 just because the wheel "feels strong" doesnt mean it's not at its power capacity

5. being cool doesnt neccessarily make you immortal.

292tq8j.jpg

259xv5u.jpg

Haha. I just join this community today. and find everything so interesting. \

Sorry man and Thanks for the reminder. :)

This reminds me of my friend last year when he did a crazy 360 spin on his hoverboard, trying to show off, but he felt on his back and broke his leg. I still laugh at him till today.  

Try not to show off when you are on the wheel. guys. 

I always wear either my mesh or waterproof motorcycle jacket with the hidden pads when I ride.  The mesh summer jacket is so porous it lets a ton of air in and through so you stay cool.  In fact I wish it was warmer since the wind while traveling at speed can be quite cool.  It's always that one time you don't wear the protection that you end up visiting the STD clinic or in this case gaining some road rash souvenirs.

You don't see motorcross riders riding without their gear.  We're riding something that can be just as dangerous!

I had a 2 mph faceplant while practicing 180 degree turns. The turn was too sharp and the pedal dug into the ground. Still managed to tear off some knee skin and bruise my hand. Potential injuries are always just around the corner (get my pun?- ha ha).

My commutes are below 5km per trip, I only use wrist guards and the speed is 20-25 km/h. Sometimes I just step on the wheel and start carefully while I put on the wrist guards on the way, unless I fall first 50m I should be good. In fact first putting on lots of gear to go 40 km/h and then taking it all off is not faster at all for shorter distances, from a commuting perspective (unless the climate is very cold so you need to put on a bunch of clothes anyway)...

6 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

It's always that one time you don't wear the protection that you end up visiting the STD clinic or in this case gaining some road rash souvenirs.

You can pick up an STD, whilst riding an EUC, wow, that would surely win the video contest.

Also brings a whole new meaning to: "Oh no! I'm a gonorrhoea".

9 hours ago, Cloud said:

An unpleasant faceplant this morning on 30% battery at 30 kph and headwind.

someone like me should have known better than that.

Bummer Cloud! Scary moments indeed! Sometimes we become complacent as our skills improve and just about that time it bits us in the behind.  Each time I see another injury on this forum it brings me back to reality. Here are some photos of a jacket I just received yesterday that has complete protection for my shoulders, elbow, torso and hips. I also have wrist and knee guards.

IMG_3685.gif

IMG_3684.gif

I've been riding motorcycles for over ten years and the expression ATGATT is common. All The Gear, All The Time.

I've been hit by cars twice in the past two years and walked away, while the cars were taken away on flatbed trucks.

(Granted I've been very lucky) but still, having the right gear makes a huge difference. Just ask Extreme ECU.

When I get my Msuper, my motorcycle gear is going to get double duty, because I know I'm not going to be riding slowly.

Q~

12 hours ago, Cloud said:

Sorry to hear that and wish you a speedy recovery ;) I really miss the pedals / wheel vibration from SW Xtreme on other EUCs - that's IMO most safe warning I've experienced so far and can't really be missed or impossible to perform even with low battery. Wish the other manufacturers would add this as an optional warning method.

35 minutes ago, HEC said:

Sorry to hear that and wish you a speedy recovery ;) I really miss the pedals vibration / wheel from SW Extreme on other EUCs - that's IMO most safe warning I've experienced so far and can't really be missed or impossible to perform even with low battery. Wish the other manufacturers would add this as an optional warning method.

That features depend mostly from us, at least for EUCs like KingSong, GotWay, MicroWorks. There at least 2 OpenSource android apps where such features can be added - is just a matter of some hours/days of development for a software guy. All the documentation is available (and is very easy) for receiving the battery voltage and motor speed from the board.
Even there are also 2 x Arduino implementations to receive this information. I did one: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/MicroWorks-30B4-controller-board-RGB-LED-strip

I hope that we can get help from the community to improve our current OpenSource apps!! Why not put a BIG REQUEST for help on the forum?
When we improve our apps, everyone in the community will benefit <3

6 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

That features depend mostly from us, at least for EUCs like KingSong, GotWay, MicroWorks. There at least 2 OpenSource android apps where such features can be added - is just a matter of some hours/days of development for a software guy. All the documentation is available (and is very easy) for receiving the battery voltage and motor speed from the board.
Even there are also 2 x Arduino implementations to receive this information. I did one: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/MicroWorks-30B4-controller-board-RGB-LED-strip

I hope that we can get help from the community to improve our current OpenSource apps!! Why not put a BIG REQUEST for help on the forum?
When we improve our apps, everyone in the community will benefit <3

I think you've misunderstood me - I don't mean vibration of the mobile phone but the actual EUC - the whole wheel / pedals vibrates as a warning.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

@Rehab1 what did you pay for that??? i am looking for something like this...just to test out what speed i can ride saftety...

$149.00 USD Here is the site on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TJZRQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heal fast @Cloud and thank you for sharing. I'll add these pictures to my collection "EUC injuries" that I keep on my phone....as a reminder.

Only if you don't mind, can you elaborate of your fall? Looks like the terrain was pretty smooth. Have you slid, tumbled...?

I'm interested of "technology" of falling at 30 km/h.

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@Cloud Sorry for you, wish you a fast recovering...which wheel was it, please?

@Rehab1 what did you pay for that??? i am looking for something like this...just to test out what speed i can ride saftety...

+ 1 for @Cloud get well soon and remember to protect yourself.

I have the same jacket @Rehab1

The jacket have saved me 2 times already, stood up with no real harm

It could be bought for 30-35 $ including shipping from AliExpress, but I recon it's a longer wait than from Amazon. Fits nicely under a jacket.

20 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

It's always that one time you don't wear the protection that you end up visiting the STD clinic or in this case gaining some road rash souvenirs.

Tell me about it! I was within 50 yards of my helmet when I did this. I love riding my EUC but I think they're quite dangerous. Most of my friends who ride never wear any gear and they have some good crash stories.

IMG_2046.JPG.jpeg

5 hours ago, Damp Rabbit said:

I'd worry that would cause a loss of friction between your feet and the pedals when you need it most.

It's not some kind of "violent" shaking, just a mild vibrating like when you drive over series of small bumps close to each other. Basically the motor is being mildly pulsated to create the perceivable but safe vibrations. 

32 minutes ago, HEC said:

It's not some kind of "violent" shaking, just a mild vibrating like when you drive over series of small bumps close to each other. Basically the motor is being mildly pulsated to create the perceivable but safe vibrations. 

This may work on very smooth surfaces, most of the time not since even asphalt is uneven most of the time and there is a natural vibrations from this.

I appreciate the beeps, not only for me but also for pedestrians and other who then hear I'm coming. I'm more concerned about people not hearing me than me pushing it to hard. When I ride and see people in front of me who can't see me, I often speed up so they hear the beeps. Then slow down as I pass them. Unpredictable (and jumpy) pedestrians are my worst fear, since a crash would hurt others also.

Archived