Celebrities, Electric Vehicles, Safety, Rules-Guidelines

Lefteris

I'm an early subscriber to Casey Neistat, started watching him years ago when he just started the vlog, didn't had 30 eps on it and watched everything.. anyways.. There where a lot of Celebrities the last couple of years riding mostly hoverboards and i was caught in that trend from summer of 2014. Nowdays celebrities stopped using them but still there are some like Casey who daily commutes with one.

He always rides something from a car to a vespa to a hoverboard and lately loves his boosterboard which he owns more than 3 if i recollect. Recently he got the v2 of the main model.

About 8 hours before this thread he posted another vlog, like he does everyday, which he crashlanded while riding his boosterboard, video at the end of the post. He says that he was going about 2-3mph and he stomped on a piece of concrete that was a bit displaced like a hole in the ground which seams, he damaged his arm and hand, probably hit a bit hard from what it seams. The camera had a broken lens motor and cap, also latest Samsung Note 7 was smashed and his rolex watch. From what i can understand he may have been on his phone at the time, anyways..

This thread has many sub meanings, one is that celebrities tend to create trends like the electric vehicle movement, we wouldn't know if they didn't use it on youtube videos, next is the safety of a ride, don't get to much acquainted with your equipment like phones cameras etc or you'll just miss something and get from offbalance to smashing your face on the ground or worse. And last the trend of the hoverboards, governments banning the hell out of them, new pre-emptive regulations that may group even our unicycles and such.

I think that there is a need of some proper rules and guidelines for our electric-sport.. and maybe it's time to start building that list. What's your opinion?

Next video of Casey, spoilers he doesn't film the fall that's why i think he was on his phone when it happen..

I would have thought he'd be cruising on an Msuper or something by now and ditched the Boosted Board.  I'm surprised he hasn't crashed in the middle of the street as there's always rocks and debris lying around.  It doesn't take much to grind a skateboard wheel to a sudden stop.

I don't think EUCs are common enough for some of the rule makers to spend time and effort on guidelines, but it's a good idea.  I just wish they would make them officially legal to ride on streets and sidewalks here.  I've had cyclist fly by at what looks like 40-50 kph on a pathway without slowing down at all so the maximum speed that I do can't be all that dangerous to others.  I think as long as I roll under the radar the cops likely won't bother me too much I hope.

BTW Karlie Kloss. Merrrroooow!

The thing is these guys, the celebs and such, do make a difference on gov/cops/etc, they tend to just let'em stroll by and not even comment about it. I can't think what others have to deal with in other countries..

Me located in Greece haven't had any issues with anyone, just a taxi driver that popped out of nowhere wanted to blow off some steam but he didn't know that "i too had a mouth full" to reply to anything he throws at me :P 

Anyways. I've sent him a tweet about it before i started this thread.. here 

Didn't get a reply, didn't expect one, just remind him that he does have a EUC, more than one, stored in his office that does deserve a change, but then i remembered that he is a technical advisor at the boosted board company, even ties on marketing (they listen to what he has to say), so i don't think he will swap to an EUC soon.. :-/ 

Anyways, i tried :D 

I was rolling down the bike lane along Valencia Street here in San Francisco, when I see a guy up ahead on one of those Onewheel-style electric skateboards with one big wheel in the center. When I caught up to him at the next light I stopped and said "brother from another mother!" He turned around, and it was Mythbuster Adam Savage. He offered a faint smile that reeked of "please don't bother me." I obliged and sped off when the light turned green.

Well, oh well.. that was awkward..

There are some possibilities here :

1. He may have had many fans/people/stalkers bothering him and so while being in that specific mindset he responded accordingly 
  2. He may be a "tv-only" guy and seeming "ok" on set and on screen but truly is a "d*ckwad", maybe fame made him one, who knows.. :-/

At least you got a response, i've seen celebrities ignoring people like it's their street or something.. anyways.. it was an experience for you, surely not for him, for him it was another "fanboy" encounter :P 

Archived