My wheel works properly? I'm not confident and need some help.

ogutierr

Hi again.

I've been rolling two days out of the parking, in a square near home and as I said days before, I can turn perfectly to the left and "less perfect" to the right :) but still improving ;)

I roll forward within major problems.... but I noticed that when I roll much faster, my feet and wheel move a little. similar than when you are skiing in the snow straight and the speed moves a little your skies. That make me less confident.

The other thing that happens is that when I'm turning, the wheel moves forward and down. I can see that my feet change the inclination.

And the same when I go forward. At the beggining I'm well balanced, but when I'm faster and faster (between 7 and 10 km in the GPS)  my balance changes and I noticed that the wheel/pedal/feet move backward and then I'm a little scared.

So, is that the correct? or there is a malfunction? 

and one more thing. sometimes I hear BEEP BEEP. Isometimes at the beggining of rolling, sometimes when I roll faster.... then I stop inmediatly because of the faceplants I readed before :(

Mine is a generic clone of airwheel X3. maybe I should buy a new battery and modify it to prevent the faceplant? mine is second hand and I think that the battery is not working properly (little range at the moment and that beeps....)

regards.

26 minutes ago, ogutierr said:

I roll forward within major problems.... but I noticed that when I roll much faster, my feet and wheel move a little. similar than when you are skiing in the snow straight and the speed moves a little your skies. That make me less confident.

? I think i cannot really follow how your feet and the wheel move to make you feel less confident? Maybe your tire pressure is to low and the wheel feels unstable/skidding to the side?

The other thing that happens is that when I'm turning, the wheel moves forward and down. I can see that my feet change the inclination.

Thats a normal behaviour with all wheels. It just should not be too much, so that it helps turning and not makes you slip forward off the wheel.

And the same when I go forward. At the beggining I'm well balanced, but when I'm faster and faster (between 7 and 10 km in the GPS)  my balance changes and I noticed that the wheel/pedal/feet move backward and then I'm a little scared.

That seems to be the tilt back. Also somehing most wheels have. This is to show you that the speed limit is reached and you should slow down.

if i remember correctly with airwheels and their clones you cannot really reach the max speed safely - you already have to go to the max tiltback too reach it. And normaly ignoring the tilt back is asking for a face plant...

So, is that the correct? or there is a malfunction? 

and one more thing. sometimes I hear BEEP BEEP. Isometimes at the beggining of rolling, sometimes when I roll faster.... then I stop inmediatly because of the faceplants I readed before :(

Once it beeps, you should go slower too. Imho airwheel and their clones had a beep just showing you that a certain speed is reached and tilt back will start. So the beep is just quite constant if you don't go very slow.

most wheels also beep to show you over temperature, over power, low battery, etc so you should slow down or make break...

Mine is a generic clone of airwheel X3. maybe I should buy a new battery and modify it to prevent the faceplant? mine is second hand and I think that the battery is not working properly (little range at the moment and that beeps....)

regards.

Many generic wheels have bad batteries. If you modify them, you can increase a bit the safety to prevent unwanted faceplants but you should be aware that charging bad batteries can lead to fire/exploding/venting of the cells.

if you like riding you should invest in a wheel with at least 500W motor and ~300Wh battery (two packs of 15/16 cells in parallel). Less batteries cannot provide enough power for safe driving - the batteries will always be at and over the limit and go bad quite fast...

? I think i cannot really follow how your feet and the wheel move to make you feel less confident? Maybe your tire pressure is to low and the wheel feels unstable/skidding to the side?

maybe... I will check it tomorrow. it's like the wheel shakes. It's difficult to explain by words and more for me in english instead of spanish :)

Thats a normal behaviour with all wheels. It just should not be too much, so that it helps turning and not makes you slip forward off the wheel.

OK. if it's normal, no problem then. It was only a question but I'm confident with this issue :) 

That seems to be the tilt back. Also somehing most wheels have. This is to show you that the speed limit is reached and you should slow down.

if i remember correctly with airwheels and their clones you cannot really reach the max speed safely - you already have to go to the max tiltback too reach it. And normaly ignoring the tilt back is asking for a face plant...

thanks for your explanation. I will try to go forward at less speed to control it better. I understand that this kind of wheel have poor speed right? porr safety speed I mean ;) When I rolled in the parking, at less speed I no noticed this problem. I noticed now, at open areas.

Once it beeps, you should go slower too. Imho airwheel and their clones had a beep just showing you that a certain speed is reached and tilt back will start. So the beep is just quite constant if you don't go very slow.

most wheels also beep to show you over temperature, over power, low battery, etc so you should slow down or make break...

once more..thanks. It's just my sensation when rolling. maybe it's overheated or I've reached the speed limit of the unit, battery (I think that it's bad or damaged)

Many generic wheels have bad batteries. If you modify them, you can increase a bit the safety to prevent unwanted faceplants but you should be aware that charging bad batteries can lead to fire/exploding/venting of the cells.

if you like riding you should invest in a wheel with at least 500W motor and ~300Wh battery (two packs of 15/16 cells in parallel). Less batteries cannot provide enough power for safe driving - the batteries will always be at and over the limit and go bad quite fast...

I will buuy a new one of 132w. I prefer a bigger one, but the price is so high and my idea is to learn with this wheel and next year buy  a better one: nineboot or anyone you recommend with that profile of motor and battery. 

About the idea of modify the battery to avoid the faceplant and your answer... now I don't know what to do because of the risks of fire.

again. thanks thanks a lot for your help. All my doubts have been solved :)

fantastic forum and members ;)

38 minutes ago, ogutierr said:

maybe... I will check it tomorrow. it's like the wheel shakes. It's difficult to explain by words and more for me in english 

+1 with everything @Chriull has said and certainly worth checking tyre pressure. However if I'm understanding you correctly: are you saying that once you reach a certain speed the EUC starts to wobble or oscillate left right a bit and feels unstable?

When you are learning there is a kind of "wobble barrier" riders hit where the EUC starts to feel unstable or like the wheel might be out of balance. It is difficult to pin down and goes away as your skill improves, it might partly be your legs shaking a bit with nerves. However one thing that will cause it is having your feet in the wrong position, usually too far forward. Beginners do that as it means they don't have to lean forward so much to get moving. A good test is braking, which you need to ensure you can do well for safety anyway. If you find it difficult to brake then your feet are definitely too far forward, move them back a little until stopping and starting feel like equal movements. You may then find it stops wobbling as well.

I will try moving my feet. I putted it forward because of the tilt of my whee. now I know that's normal, so I will move forward my feet :)

thanks again ;) 

try to separate the kinks and quircks

I don't understand this....

1 minute ago, ogutierr said:

I don't understand this....

sorry'bout that, not my main language :P 

try to see what happens and when, separate for example the wobbling from the tilting, there may be other small problems, specially with second hand wheels.

for example my wheel has a small batt, think is ±174Wh, has over 2000+klm on it (bQkHjbY.png) and i fell the other day and the wheel opened in half.. i found out that the left pedal base is a bit loose, broken screw bases, plastics innards and other even smaller things..

you need to relax, ride it and note anything you feel is "off"

The only think I can say is when I first started riding and got the hang of it I still had a issue at high speeds where the unit would shake a lot between my legs. It only happened at higher speeds. so after speaking to a lot of people here they said it is probably just me and not the wheel. They were right. After a couple days of riding at higher speeds everything was ok. So my advise is to just keep riding and see if you get use to it

50 minutes ago, ogutierr said:

thanks Donafello. First of all I will check the pressure. Maybe is too low.

Then, I will review my feet position and wil improve my skills yo get confident.

thanks everybody!

aah!! and I will order a new battery.

i would advise to go and save the (Batterie) Money for a better wheel!

If you get just a Little more used to wheeling ( and this will be in a really, really short time) ...you will come to the conclusion, that the max Speed and the range of a X3 Clone are probably not enough for you anymore and you want another type of wheel! I promise :-)

So to squeze more Money into this clone will be like throwing the Money out of the window!

7 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

i would advise to go and save the (Batterie) Money for a better wheel!

If you get just a Little more used to wheeling ( and this will be in a really, really short time) ...you will come to the conclusion, that the max Speed and the range of a X3 Clone are probably not enough for you anymore and you want another type of wheel! I promise :-)

So to squeze more Money into this clone will be like throwing the Money out of the window!

thanks for your answer. I said that not for the low speed.... it's because the range is too short. fully charged I'm doing my practice inside the parking (it's a big area) and in the square near home and the battery goes down very quick. I'm sure that it's a bad or damaged battery. I think that i did 1 km while wheeling at the moment with every charge.

if I buy a new one (cheap as possible) I will be able to improve and wheel for more km. the next step will be buy a new and "powerful" wheel :)

Just now, ogutierr said:

thanks for your answer. I said that not for the low speed.... it's because the range is too short. fully charged I'm doing my practice inside the parking (it's a big area) and in the square near home and the battery goes down very quick. I'm sure that it's a bad or damaged battery. I think that i did 1 km while wheeling at the moment with every charge.

if I buy a new one (cheap as possible) I will be able to improve and wheel for more km. the next step will be buy a new and "powerful" wheel :)

I think your clone has an Batterie pack of about 132wh to 170wh? That means it is just one pack of 16 seriell 18650 Batterie...

So i would not expect to get any more out the Batterie as ...let's say 5-6km...Maximum 8 Kilometers...

As you practise you Need much more Juice than on normal gliding/riding, so i dont think it has to be defect!

The Thing is: it is very difficult to get this 16seriell packs (always including a BatterieManagementSystem) for a decent Price, and IF they are cheap, this is mostly because they are cheap chinese cells!

So before giving 150-200 Dollar in a new Batterie pack, i would better take/save this Money for a decent wheel...

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

I think your clone has an Batterie pack of about 132wh to 170wh? That means it is just one pack of 16 seriell 18650 Batterie...

So i would not expect to get any more out the Batterie as ...let's say 5-6km...Maximum 8 Kilometers...

As you practise you Need much more Juice than on normal gliding/riding, so i dont think it has to be defect!

The Thing is: it is very difficult to get this 16seriell packs (always including a BatterieManagementSystem) for a decent Price, and IF they are cheap, this is mostly because they are cheap chinese cells!

So before giving 150-200 Dollar in a new Batterie pack, i would better take/save this Money for a decent wheel...

of course. My idea is not buring those 150 euro.... I thought to spend about 50 if the problem was really the battery. I will practice more days in the street, and controlling with the GPS the real distance I ride.

If I'm able to ride between 5 and 10 km (my weight is 62 kg) then the battery is OK. But if I only ride about 1-2 km.... :(

1 hour ago, ogutierr said:

of course. My idea is not buring those 150 euro.... I thought to spend about 50 if the problem was really the battery. I will practice more days in the street, and controlling with the GPS the real distance I ride.

If I'm able to ride between 5 and 10 km (my weight is 62 kg) then the battery is OK. But if I only ride about 1-2 km.... :(

If you are able to get a 16seriell pack for 50Euro...please, please tell me where :-) Want to buy some also, then!

Price for this is at least 130 Euro...normally more.

37 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

If you are able to get a 16seriell pack for 50Euro...please, please tell me where :-) Want to buy some also, then!

Price for this is at least 130 Euro...normally more.

This is pretty much the cheapest I've found, but the store says they cannot deliver here, so I cannot see the shipping prices:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Unicycle-Scooter/200272_501690443.html

The cheapest 16S pack is 31.42€ + whatever the shipping is. The cells are probably utter garbage at that price point ;) Also it says "working current: 15A", yet the technical data states that the BMS will cut at 4.5-8A +- 0.5A?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2pcs-Z001-3-7V-2200mAh-18650-Li-ion-rechargeable-battery-for-electronic-cigarette-LED-Flashlight-POWER/200272_32355350400.html

EDIT: Noticed I can change the country to where the package would be shipped to, and can then see the shipping rates. For the cheapest pack:

Spain:

€ 14,01 Available

Still, I'd be wary, I suspect this is a very low quality pack... You can't get brand cells at that price, yet alone a whole built pack with BMS? And there's likely customs / taxes involved in importing it on top of the unit price + shipping.

5 minutes ago, ogutierr said:

Yes. That was the battery I saw. 31+14

People said: capacity as promised.
http://s.aliexpress.com/AJji2Mf6

So...is also bad? Damm

Same shop, same battery... ;)  I don't know for sure, but I do suspect that it's fairly pretty sub-par quality. They've got another, slightly more expensive pack that is at least claimed to be made from real Samsung-cells:  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Z002-60V-132W-Li-ion-battery-18650-16pcs-SAMSUNG-cell-for-Self-Balance-Unicycle-Scooter/32354761543.html

53.93€ + shipping + whatever the custom duties/taxes are. Still, it says the same about the overcurrent protection (the BMS will cut the power from your wheel without warning if you go over it)

16 hours ago, ogutierr said:

@ogutierr That looks like the wheel I started with, it cost 270 USD shipped, the battery was very weak and it would go from 4 lights to 2 lights very soon.  I agree with everyone else here that you should get a better wheel with a bigger battery.  Now you know how to ride, a better quality wheel will be a lot safer.  A ninebot one E+  will give you confidence that it will not let you fall (unless you hit a big bump, or soft sand) but just riding on smooth ground it is very reliable.  The battery alone for a Ninebot costs more than my generic did, but it was worth it.

9 hours ago, steve454 said:

@ogutierr That looks like the wheel I started with, it cost 270 USD shipped, the battery was very weak and it would go from 4 lights to 2 lights very soon.  I agree with everyone else here that you should get a better wheel with a bigger battery.  Now you know how to ride, a better quality wheel will be a lot safer.  A ninebot one E+  will give you confidence that it will not let you fall (unless you hit a big bump, or soft sand) but just riding on smooth ground it is very reliable.  The battery alone for a Ninebot costs more than my generic did, but it was worth it.

Well.... I know, I know.... I try :) jejejeje

I will try more days to try to know how much range do I have.

Then... I will decide. My original idea was to learn this year or the following months and then jump to the ninebot or similar.

Sure :) I've checked the tyre and putted more air (inflate it??? I don't know the right word). Tonight I will ride and I will see the differences between before and after. Now I can't do it. I've 2 years old twins. No time for me. Jajajajajaja :):)

Archived