Noob with an X3 from Barcelona

ogutierr

Hi everybody,

This is Carlos, from Barcelona.

I own a X3 model since last week. I started with the mini wheels + belt for 30 minutes aprox. Next day I put off the left mini wheel and tried to improve my balance within it. Yesterday (third day) I spent 30 more minutos improving and I can turn to the left. I was turning a lot of time and I got sick. Today I will try within the right wheel :D should I put the left one this time to get confidence or without both?

And one mroe question... when I go straight I've no problems, no strage sensations, but when I turn to the left, a close turn, I have the sensation that the X3 goes down. I don't know how to explai it... may be I do a lot of pressure doing the turn?

thanks in advance

Hi again 

I was rolling yesterday changing the mini wheel to opposite side. Now  the mini wheel is installed on the right and I was trying the right turns..... OMG !!! I think it was worse than the left turn. May be my balance is better turning to the left. When I did snowboard, I had the same impression. (I'm regular, with my left leg on the front)

I will try and keep improving this weekend. When I get more experience I will try to start without a wall to start moving.

regards

On 2 September 2016 at 0:34 PM, ogutierr said:

Hi again 

I was rolling yesterday changing the mini wheel to opposite side. Now  the mini wheel is installed on the right and I was trying the right turns..... 

The generally held view on this forum, and I agree with it, is that the training wheels are VERY unhelpful, I have never heard of anyone taking just one off and that is likely to be an even worst idea. All the training wheels will teach you is how to control forward/backwards movement, they don't help at all with balancing and are very, very unhelpful, even potentially dangerous with turns as they may catch and spin you.

Basically, forget turning for now, you need to be able, unaided, to ride in a straight line for a good distance, say at least 50 metres and be able to stop again, before thinking about turning. The best balancing aid is a friend who can run along beside you to stop you falling, or narrow hallway or, at least, a railing to give you the confidence to balance knowing there is an aid to help you balance. Once you can go forward OK and brake then progress to turning.

Also, regarding using a belt, these are great to prevent the wheel running away from you or spinning and hurting you are someone else or doing damage. IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A REIN. If you pull tightly on the belt to keep your balance you will never learn, it has a suprisingly negative effect on your ability to balance. It needs to be held loosely, use it to keep the wheel upright or even lift the wheel off the ground if you come of it and it starts to go out of control.

thanks.

I was trying without both wheels this weekend.

I can ride 50 meters without problems and turn to the left. I need to practice the right turn.

The belt.... I will use it without pulling so much as you said.

thanks

8 hours ago, ogutierr said:

I can ride 50 meters without problems and turn to the left. I need to practice the right turn.

It does not seem to be uncommon to find it harder to turn one way than the other. Even after a year of riding I find it easier to turn left than right, albeit that is with an awful lot tighter turns than it used to be. Others find the opposite so it doesn't look like a characteristic of EUC's, just the riders. 

If you have not seen it before the below video may help:

• 6 months later...

hi again, several months later :)

I don't use a lot my wheel, because of my twins (I can do nothing, jajajajaja) and because I'm a little scared about cut-off. I had 3 or 4 faceplam with the old/bad battery and now with the new one with no-mod (not shunted) I'm not confident.

I've to shunt it or not shunt it.... everyone tells me different opinion. I think I will do it, but I've no time to do the mod.

I've one more question. I noticed than going up my street (a little hill) I need to go forward to get speed but I'm not confident because of facepalm.... but I think that my EUC is underpowered. Remember.... it's a chinese clone of the X3. I weigh 64 kg (1'75cm) Anyone knows the real power of that units?

It's possible to get a better engine? or I should go for a better wheel? the problem is the money (really.... is my wife...jajajajaja)

2 hours ago, ogutierr said:

hi again, several months later :)

I don't use a lot my wheel, because of my twins (I can do nothing, jajajajaja) and because I'm a little scared about cut-off. I had 3 or 4 faceplam with the old/bad battery and now with the new one with no-mod (not shunted) I'm not confident.

I've to shunt it or not shunt it.... everyone tells me different opinion. I think I will do it, but I've no time to do the mod.

I've one more question. I noticed than going up my street (a little hill) I need to go forward to get speed but I'm not confident because of facepalm.... but I think that my EUC is underpowered. Remember.... it's a chinese clone of the X3. I weigh 64 kg (1'75cm) Anyone knows the real power of that units?

It's possible to get a better engine? or I should go for a better wheel? the problem is the money (really.... is my wife...jajajajaja)

Would guess a x3 clone is about 350Watt Motor power with a 130wh Batterie....totally crap...

Me personally- i would not try to Change anything on this wheel.....it does not get better.

A very good -and cheap- starter wheel is the MCM3 from Gotway! About 500 bucks...fast...powerful...reliable!

18 minutes ago, ogutierr said:

thanks kingsong69,

As I supposed you're right :)

so, the original airwheel has 350w? or more? or maybe chinese units have less than expected?

I guess the original x3 has 350W....can not guess you can go deeper on a clone :-)

But even the original X3 is known as a "cut-out" device

• 2 weeks later...

Hm...

Ok, the X3 is my first euc.
I bought in second Hand (or third - who knows?)
I gave only 100€ because the Charger is missing.
Since the last weeks i do some trips with this crappy X3.
I do very cool Uphills... i ride it until it beeps und tilted up,
so that i have to stop.
I ride through the forrest, dust, sand and mud...
My X3 looks like it has passed the second Worldwar...

But - it works ;)

I Love it...

X3-Wald.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi.

Yesterday I did a "master-class" in Barceloan from "ePTV BikeBoard" (I'm not sure if I can mention it. If I can't do it, please tell me or remove directly)

It was perfect. The teacher was nice and we rode for 1 hour (maybe...about 5 km or less. 2 lights of my wheel). Now I'm more comfident  because I had any facepalm and he told me about the problems of cut-off on any wheel.

Now I only need to practie and ride and ride (I know it before) but it was very useful for me to beacme more confident.

I need to practice also how to start because sometimes I can go up easily and sometimes it's impossible and I need to stop near a wall to do it (I can't put perfectly my feet on the pedal in movement)

ah, one more question. I want to paint my wheel in black colour. Anybody has painted it? maybe next year I will buy a better wheel, and I want to have a "neutral" colour at this moment instead the green I have :)

regards!

4 hours ago, ogutierr said:

I want to paint my wheel in black colour. Anybody has painted it?

Several people on the forum have painted their wheels.  Some people used Plasti-Dip, some use plastic friendly paint.  You can take the shells apart or just use masking tape.

Oh. Plasti dip....of course. I didn't remenber it.

I will buy it. I don't know of I preger to paint it black with red cushions or blue with yellow cushions. Like Fernando's R25 F1 car and the Asturian flag ;)

@Razumpel can I do the same with my generic? I never tried to do off road :)

2 hours ago, ogutierr said:

Oh. Plasti dip....of course. I didn't remenber it.

I will buy it. I don't know of I preger to paint it black with red cushions or blue with yellow cushions. Like Fernando's R25 F1 car and the Asturian flag ;)

@Razumpel can I do the same with my generic? I never tried to do off road :)

@Razumpel didn't get the notification, you start typing @ and the first few letters, then a drop down appears and shows all the names with those first letters.  Click on the one you want and it comes up blue, I did it for you.

one more question.... sometimes I read that it can get about 18 km/h MAX. But mine tilt back when my GPS shows 10 km/h more or less.

So... original airwheel can afford 18 km/h and mine, as a generic chinese wheel, can't ?

Last day, as I said, I rode for about 5 km (or less) using 2 of the 4 battery leds. So, 5 (or 4km) + another 5 more?

All the leds show the same quantity of battery? 

thanks

3 hours ago, ogutierr said:

one more question.... sometimes I read that it can get about 18 km/h MAX. But mine tilt back when my GPS shows 10 km/h more or less.

So... original airwheel can afford 18 km/h and mine, as a generic chinese wheel, can't ?

Last day, as I said, I rode for about 5 km (or less) using 2 of the 4 battery leds. So, 5 (or 4km) + another 5 more?

All the leds show the same quantity of battery? 

thanks

Different EUC's have different top speeds, battery voltage can also control the top speed, I.e. It might be higher when the battery is full. You may also find that tiltback starts at 10km/h but you can go faster with the tiltback getting progressively worst, obviously if you are pushing a low powered wheel with a small battery the risk of a faceplant becomes greater. Going faster reasonably safely does really come down to buying a more powerful wheel with a bigger battery and staying well within its limits.

On most EUC's the battery LED's are simply a voltmeter which is a VERY crude measure. Battery discharge is a curve like the one I've shown below showing how it varies with temperature as well. As you can see, at any temperature it is fairly flat for most of the discharge and then drops very fast towards the end. Hence there is a good chance that if 5Km takes you to apparently half charge you may have a lot less than 5Km left. It does rather come down to the manufacturer what voltage the 4 LED's represent and what sort of temperatures they expect there EUC to be used in.

image.jpeg.89954797849cfcfee9020f2ef34c2f58.jpeg

Archived