HEC

17 minutes ago, Cloud said:

. First of all, if someone is a contestant why would he vote for someone else, thus increasing someone else's chances of winning.  

As you want. No problem for me. I understand the problem and i don't have the solution, so...

But to answer to this question, personnaly i will participe as a contestant because i am crazy about freestyle. So, if other people do crazy freestyle things (and i really hope so), voting is a way to tell them that there works are awesome.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there was no prize for the contest, id agree with you, the more the merrier. But since there is a considerable prize involved, there should be no opportunity for rigging the results. But like i said, its just my personal opinion.

perhaps....what can be done here...there could be an offilne voting process created , sort of like a support group vote, that does not count towards the official voting score but can still reflect the support and the likes of other people. For this vote, anyone should be accepted as a voter....not sure if this is something @Rehab1 and other moderators will want to consider.

5 minutes ago, Hirsute said:

As you want. No problem for me. I understand the problem and i don't have the solution, so...

But to answer to this question, personnaly i will participe as a contestant because i am crazy about freestyle. So, if other people do crazy things (and i really hope so), voting is a way to tell them that there works are awsome. But maybe enough people will do that. No problem.

The actual voting of the winner will be held separately after the video submission time ends, you can still "up-vote" the video-posts to show your support with the up/down -arrows at the lower right hand corner of the video-posts (those up-votes won't count in the actual voting for winner).

2 minutes ago, esaj said:

The actual voting of the winner will be held separately after the video submission time ends, you can still "up-vote" the video-posts to show your support with the up/down -arrows at the lower right hand corner of the video-posts (those up-votes won't count in the actual voting for winner).

@esaj is correct, and this correlates to what i was describing in my post above , but i failed to realize that we already have a parralel system showing support - thru giving reputation.

I am starting to hear from people interested in competing in the contest! YAHOO!  I had a few questions relating to the rules. One person thought he could not participate because of the EUC member voter deadline. I assured him that the rule only applied to voters and that he or everyone else can submit a video any time up until Midnight PST on September 30, 2016. 

Speaking of interest in the competition, please let me or the moderators know if you are considering submitting a video.

I will make it simple:

Yes I plan to enter____

or

I am considering it_______

or 

No way! I need to work the next day _____

Thanks!

So many rules! Protecting against the threat of people pretending to be other people in the video, using old video of previous 3 minute uncut routines, hiring major studios to do CGI effects. I love the idea of a contest. But now it seems like it will be won, deservingly so, by Hirsute and there are no other prizes for anyone else. He might not be the eventual winner but anyone who wants a chance has to be able to top that.

I feel a contest that originally was to encourage people to try new things and participate and promote the sport has turned into the contest being more important than the riders. As I've mentioned before I've been involved in juggling competitions for more than 30 years and from that experience this is a problem I've seen many times. I prefer to make rules that are more encouraging as opposed to restrictive.

I doubt you will find there are more than just a few riders who can do tricks for the apparent minimum 2 minutes and then of that small pool there will be a few who can shoot a decent video and meet the requirements of wearing name tags that you can always see, staying in frame, keeping your face visible etc...

The bar to compete is quite high and the single winner takes all prizes may discourage anyone who's watched any of Hirsute's routines. I wanted to do a humorous entry with 2 other friends and wanted to shoot our local hotshot who's very good but can't see doing a video now. When this was first mentioned the idea was thrown out that these videos will be seen by non riders who make take interest in the sport but now the rules have restricted the videos to be rather bland and really only of interest to other riders. The promotional value of the contest has been reduced greatly.

All right! Now who wants Ice cream?

I hope I didn't come off as negative towards you, I love your videos. But I can't compete with your skills but wanted to try other ways to get a good video in the contest.

This is a video I made 13 years ago, it's more of what I had in mind.

Don't worry i understand.

I think that this contest don't have to be reduce to "win or loose". Of course like everybody if i win i'll be happy, but first, i'm interested because it is a good personal challenge to prepare this.

And maybe next year there will be two categories: freestyle and unusual....

its a competition....point!

be creative, try to get people hooked to what you are doing...and then it is NOT for sure Hirsute will win this contest!

sidestreet reny can -for example- but the EuC into a skateboard driving style, with grindings and more...plus his own music!

Jonathan Tolhurst is nearly as competetive in driving style....some others perhaps have not even shot a video before...

or put it into a slapstick wise 3 minutes fall after fall...or or or...

And EVEN IF Hirsute wins this with a ease....then he just deserves it!!! and i am looking forward to see his competition vid!

how will you do it better? the rules are in general: hold your name at the start into the camera...thats it?!

And thats only for people not using "old" videos, but to produce something new for the competition. (be creative....)

i see no other way to be "fairer" in any way....and there are some old words:

"if you just dont do anything...than you have lost from the start" ;-) (or something like this)

Or should the contest not be done now? Only because there is Hirsute and he is doing to well?

@Hirsute @Damp Rabbit Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately a first contest will always have issues. There was a great deal of discussion between myself, the moderators  and @Jason McNeilprior to posting the rules with a few tweeks along the way. It would be great if there were other sponsors that could contribute and it is my hopes that more will jump on board next year. @Jason McNeil sent a wonderful letter to Red Bull to see if they may want to sponsor. I sent a letter to Inmotion hoping they would jump on board. I would love to have additional prizes for runner ups but unfortunately I have given it my all. Hopefully someone else will take over next year. I would still like to see you compete Damp Rabbit. Who knows maybe more donors will come forward and provide additional prizes. Take care!

Guys, first of all i dont think anyone should feel frustrated about the contest whether they have a chance to win or not. This is a great opportunity to promote electric unicycling, its a fun event, its a first of its kind, and guess what... Its not perfect. The rules are not perfect, but you know what - they dont have to be. Its a miracle that @Rehab1 has selflessly offered to donate the grand prize to the winner and has had the enthusiasm to organize this and has gone through very involved discussions with moderators and potential contestants about the rules. 

The rules are not perfect but maybe next time they will be better. There is already international interest for the contest, and there will be more if people help promote it. When promited, there might be more donors who will contribute to the cause, and the contest will grow. Each one of us has the power to promote it more and to help the cause. This was born out of this forum and all forum members are the fathers of this unique event, so to speak. Take this to your local community, spread the word across the globe in social networks and you will see it grow.

I understand that people can get discouraged to participate after seeing @Hirsute s videos. Guys, this is the wrong approach. Dont be discouraged. First of all, just because he has excellent skills and can stage very good creative videos doesnt mean he will win. You have the advantage of watching his videos and figuring out what kind of style he has. Study your competitor and create something in a different style. Come up with the original idea that goes beyond his style - create something of your own even if you are not as skilled and you have a chance of winning. Something that will appeal to the forum members who will vote. Find a good soundtrack, get a good cameraman, come up with an original storyline for the video, involve other people - there is a lot you can do.

@Hirsute has the right to be a contestant and the right to win because he is great at it. No need to be uoset or discouraged. Instead try to be better in some other way, come forward and you shall be rewarded. And if you dont win, you will contribute to a great cause, promote the sport, and promote this forum. 

8 hours ago, Cloud said:

Guys, first of all i dont think anyone should feel frustrated about the contest whether they have a chance to win or not. This is a great opportunity to promote electric unicycling, its a fun event, its a first of its kind, and guess what... Its not perfect. The rules are not perfect, but you know what - they dont have to be. Its a miracle that @Rehab1 has selflessly offered to donate the grand prize to the winner and has had the enthusiasm to organize this and has gone through very involved discussions with moderators and potential contestants about the rules. 

The rules are not perfect but maybe next time they will be better. There is already international interest for the contest, and there will be more if people help promote it. When promited, there might be more donors who will contribute to the cause, and the contest will grow. Each one of us has the power to promote it more and to help the cause. This was born out of this forum and all forum members are the fathers of this unique event, so to speak. Take this to your local community, spread the word across the globe in social networks and you will see it grow.

I understand that people can get discouraged to participate after seeing @Hirsute s videos. Guys, this is the wrong approach. Dont be discouraged. First of all, just because he has excellent skills and can stage very good creative videos doesnt mean he will win. You have the advantage of watching his videos and figuring out what kind of style he has. Study your competitor and create something in a different style. Come up with the original idea that goes beyond his style - create something of your own even if you are not as skilled and you have a chance of winning. Something that will appeal to the forum members who will vote. Find a good soundtrack, get a good cameraman, come up with an original storyline for the video, involve other people - there is a lot you can do.

@Hirsute has the right to be a contestant and the right to win because he is great at it. No need to be uoset or discouraged. Instead try to be better in some other way, come forward and you shall be rewarded. And if you dont win, you will contribute to a great cause, promote the sport, and promote this forum. 

I think Hirsuite is great , when I see him then I loose my fear of falling in the street ;)  I also didn't know it was possible to do so many difficult tricks with an euc.
I find this discussion as rubbish , this must be the first sport , competition in the world were participiants complain about other competitors being to good.
The best artist in any sport will develop and give inspiration to others out there trying to learn new tricks and I love it , maybe next time you could have first second and third price and also one price for the worst euc driver so I can join to  ;) , how where to do I transfer money to the pricepot ?

Beatallica

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I would still like to see you compete Damp Rabbit.

I would love to, unfortunately there isn't anything I could do in the format of the rules in the 7 weeks we have. I don't have 2-3 minutes of tricks I can perform in a single take as I'm not a great rider. I would have to combine something else, other tricks, a story or gags and I couldn't do that in a single take. I'm not the right guy for an "Olympic" style of competition, I need my gimmicks.

I'm not just trying to criticize and it's hard to discuss this without people getting defensive. I do feel that creating and choreographing a routine in such a short time is very difficult for anyone who doesn't already have routines to fall back on. If the original goal was to make videos that will excite people to join the sport I don't think this format serves the goal.

I think even for this first run the rules can be opened up to allow people to perform in their own way. I can give you more thoughts on this if you want.

Either way I'm looking forward to watching whatever gets submitted, I do appreciate all the efforts you've made.

Why I started the contest:

I simply wanted to give back to the EUC Forum and community for pulling me out a rough time in my life. No one knew, but just being able to communicate with a group of wonderful people that shared the same interests helped me tremendously to cope with the loss of my son.

Hopefully there will be more prizes added to the contest soon.

Thanks for everyone's kind comments!

On August 7, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Damp Rabbit said:

...the apparent minimum 2 minutes...

Looking at the rules it does seem to say the minimum time for a video is 2 minutes but is this intentional? I see the need for the 3 minute maximum length but why a minimum? If someone can do the most amazing trick in the world in 10 seconds the more power to them, I say. 

Thats right, i understand there is no minimum. Only the maximum.

There is so much one can do in these videos! If i was participating, and i knew i cant win by pure euc  skills,. I would record a video doing something else, that i do best while riding an euc. For example, i coukd be playing guitar and singing while riding it. Or maybe id combine a different sport with it....like playing soccer or hockey on a wheel. Anything that i might do that others cannot, id learn to do on a wheel. Or maybe one can box on a wheel. Just think of something that you do better than the others and integrate the euc into your routine and you have an original video.

On 8/7/2016 at 4:43 PM, Cloud said:

He has not won anything yet! ;) Btw what's the deal, nobody is worried about @Jonathan Tolhurst or me for that matter? ;) hehehehe. Each person has their own special things to offer. Some people do very entertaining flat ground choreography with everything strung together, like dance routines, in one location and with NO obstacles. Other people ride obstacles, string things together and ride on, over, around, up, down and through things. And because of this I personally can't film something in one spot for all three minutes...no way...I would get bored and be unable to show all I have to offer, so I am still figuring out how to get it all done. ?? 

Hey, it does kinda seem like the judging has begun already and everybody already knows what they think is the best. We really need to remember to open our minds and try to understand the difficulty, the inventiveness and creativity of each trick we do as well as the whole run and entertainment value! That's the key.

FYI When I was a competitive skateboarder we were judged on a few things.

1. style

2. difficulty

3. number of tricks

4. consistency

5. creativity

We were also divided into age groups most of the time.

Archived