HEC

1 minute ago, HEC said:

What about bib with built in LED clock? Though someone would most likely cause a panic by wearing that and get bomb squad summoned :D 

I don't think we should have any that specific demands... getting a bib with a led-clock might be troublesome for some contestants, regarding either money or time... Hell, I should be finishing my linear power supply now, but after this many beers (I was the designated driver to my cousin for the Neste Rally today, keyword being was)...

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, esaj said:

I don't think we should have any that specific demands... getting a bib with a led-clock might be troublesome for some contestants, regarding either money or time...

Indeed - it was meant as tease / joke ;) Though I'm sure we'd be able to whip something up from aliexpress parts for basically peanuts ... And as already mentioned - obvoius scene cuts would be easy to spot and any but highly pro CGI would be easy to spot as well.

3 minutes ago, HEC said:

Indeed - it was meant as tease / joke ;) Though I'm sure we'd be able to whip something up from aliexpress parts for basically peanuts ... And as already mentioned - obvoius scene cuts would be easy to spot and any but highly pro CGI would be easy to spot as well.

32.768kHz clock-crystal (happens to be a 2-to-the-power-of-N -number, and easily available) + some basic counter ICs for frequency dividing + some chips for driving a 7-segment and you have one... well, maybe not that simple, never actually thought how much "logic" it requires to simply show time :P  And of course there's probably a gazillion sellers with ready-made & cost-next-to-nothing led-clocks, but it would likely take several weeks for the orders to arrive, so I've (single-handedly) decided to strike down this idea ;)

How about just a simple placard pasted on a shirt like this but with with the contestant's username and the date? 

image.jpeg

13 minutes ago, esaj said:

32.768kHz clock-crystal (happens to be a 2-to-the-power-of-N -number, and easily available) + some basic counter ICs for frequency dividing + some chips for driving a 7-segment and you have one... well, maybe not that simple, never actually thought how much "logic" it requires to simply show time :P  And of course there's probably a gazillion sellers with ready-made & cost-next-to-nothing led-clocks, but it would likely take several weeks for the orders to arrive, so I've (single-handedly) decided to strike down this idea ;)

You'd not need a full pledged clock really - just something spinnig or counting to prove video continuity - for what I care you can wear kitchen timer :P 

1 hour ago, HEC said:

That I believe contradicts point 4) of conditions ;) Though you might pay someone a bit more to train you - you have whole 2 months :ph34r:

Aw rules schmules...  that never stopped me from getting my amateur gynecology degree online!

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

4) Video submissions must be original content created by the contestant and must not contain any elements that are protected by someone else’s copyright or otherwise subject to third party intellectual property or proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights.

Technically paying someone else kinda creates that content in a round about way just like how the big Hollywood producers create original movies by paying someone else to do it!  Create is a term which can be broad in scope and open to interpretation.  You say "tomato" I say "sponsored creative content."  There's gotta be a way to spin this in my favor.  :angry:  Okay who's up for voting bribes?  PM me!

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Like the clock kid invited to the White House. 

image.jpeg

Ha ha - yeah I remember story of that poor kid. On other hand - your competition would get a massive publicity with CNN headlines / breaking news tickers like "Eletric Unicycle Competitor detained under suspicion of attempted terroist attack"! :wacko:

2 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Aw rules schmules...

Technically paying someone else kinda creates that content in a round about way just like how the big Hollywood producers create original movies by paying someone else to do it!  Create is term which can be broad in scope.  You say "tomato" I say "sponsored creative content."  There's gotta be a way to spin this in my favor.  :angry:  Okay who's up for voting bribes?  PM me!

Well - cameraman/woman is creator as well, right? :D 

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

4) Video submissions must be original content created by the contestant and must not contain any elements that are protected by someone else’s copyright or otherwise subject to third party intellectual property or proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights.

I understand I can't pay someone to video for me, but can a friend hold the camera? 

Otherwise we will be limited to a small "stage" on which to perform. 

Maybe, if you want to avoid time stamp and be sure that it is not edit you should tell that the wheeler have to be allways on the screen. So everybody can see if there is any edit... 

I say that because, if you are alone and that you let your camera allways on the same place, it is easy to edit as soon as you go out of the screen...

(i don't know if i am clear. But if we really have to put a time stamp to be sure, i will find how to put it on my Osmo...)

6 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I understand I can't pay someone to video for me, but can a friend hold the camera? 

Otherwise we will be limited to a small "stage" on which to perform. 

Technically I see nothing stopping you from hiring the whole Hollywood studio to record your performance - as long as you'll sort out all the licensing / legal stuff and will be the sole owner / licenser of the video submited for the competition.

Shoukdnt be a problem to hire whoever one wants to record the video. Or hiring London symphony orchestra to write to soundtrack to the video - lets leave this to the creative mind/ discretion of the author. There has to be some wiggle room, no reason for the rules to be super strict.  The contest is for uec riding / trick skills, not for camera skills.

7 minutes ago, Hirsute said:

Maybe, if you want to avoid time stamp and be sure that it is not edit you should tell that the wheeler have to be allways on the screen. So everybody can see if there is any edit... 

I say that because, if you are alone and that you let your camera allways on the same place, it is easy to edit as soon as you go out of the screen...

(i don't know if i am clear. But if we really have to put a time stamp to be sure, i will find how to put it on my Osmo...)

And for that matter, doesnt have to be the performer on screen all the time. Any live person can be, his friend for example can be on screen while the perforer goes in and out of the frame as he does the tricks

5 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Shoukdnt be a problem to hire whoever one wants to record the video. Or hiring London symphony orchestra to write to soundtrack to the video - lets leave this to the creative mind/ discretion of the author. There has to be some wiggle room, no reason for the rules to be super strict.  The contest is for uec riding / trick skills, not for camera skills.

I don't think anyone's going to trouble themselves with hiring London symphony orchestra for a $1000 wheel (not to say that it isn't a lot of money for most people, but I think the orchestra would cost a lot more :P). The point is basically "don't cheat", and I don't think the really talented people have need to anyway... they can shine without cheating already (just look at what people like @Sidestreet Reny, @Jonathan Tolhurst and @Hirsute have done already). That's not to discourage from anyone else from joining the competition, but the bar might become pretty high ;)

34 minutes ago, Cloud said:

And for that matter, doesnt have to be the performer on screen all the time. Any live person can be, his friend for example can be on screen while the perforer goes in and out of the frame as he does the tricks

Yes but if the live person never move we can miss the edit ...

Maybe to check the date, we could discover on the 1 of august a costume requierment or a key word to say at the begining of the recording (like "god bless EUC" or "freestyle contest"), and then staying on the screen.

26 minutes ago, Cloud said:

What if we have them feature Energizer bunny in the shot for the entire time - he will always be moving :) 

I was always thinking, if I wanted to show any move and prove it's not edited in any way, I'd smoke a cigarette during the trick (it's pretty hard to convincingly to modify the smoke moving in the video), but that's probably not fair for non-smokers :D  Also, it clearly shows if the video is sped up / slowed down.

33 minutes ago, Hirsute said:

Yes but if the live person never move we can miss the edit ...

Maybe to check the date, we could discover on the 1 of august a costume requierment or a key word to say at the begining of the recording (like "god bless EUC"), and then staying on the screen.

I think we can come to some conclusion how to prevent "cheating" (I still like my idea of a keyword on a paper shown at the start of the video). Besides, so what if someone used an older video, I don't think it's that big of a deal in the end ;) If they could do it then, they could probably do it now.

But what I'd really like to have some feedback on is how we handle "multiple" videos? Does the contestant have to send just one "final" video, or could they "replace" it with another one later on (within the contest time frame)? Like, if someone does a good video, then submits it. and then someone else sends another video, that clearly does "better", can the contestant who send the earlier video still submit a new video?

What I think would happen without the ability to send a new video is that the contestant would wait until the very final date (or near it) before submitting their videos. With the ability to submit a new video, you could first send one video, then someone does something that at least the contestant thinks is better, and would curse "I could have done better!", but not be able to submit a even better one?

EDIT: Hirsute also makes a good point earlier, it's a lot easier to modify the video if the "actor" ("wheeler"?) leaves the screen. Should we require that the contestant is always visible on the screen throughout the video?

13 minutes ago, esaj said:

I was always thinking, if I wanted to show any move and prove it's not edited in any way, I'd smoke a cigarette during the trick (it's pretty hard to convincingly to modify the smoke moving in the video), but that's probably not fair for non-smokers :D 

I think we can come to some conclusion how to prevent "cheating" (I still like my idea of a keyword on a paper shown at the start of the video). Besides, so what if someone used an older video, I don't think it's that big of a deal in the end ;) If they could do it then, they could probably do it now.

But what I'd really like to have some feedback on is how we handle "multiple" videos? Does the contestant have to send just one "final" video, or could they "replace" it with another one later on (within the contest time frame)? Like, if someone does a good video, then submits it. and then someone else sends another video, that clearly does "better", can the contestant who send the earlier video still submit a new video?

What I think would happen without the ability to send a new video is that the contestant would wait until the very final date (or near it) before submitting their videos. With the ability to submit a new video, you could first send one video, then someone does something that at least the contestant thinks is better, and would curse "I could have done better!", but not be able to submit a even better one?

One may want to rerecord and submit again, and i dont think there is anything wrong with that. I think until the submission oeriod ends a member should be able to resubmit his entry for whatever reason.

regarding the keyword at beginning, why dont we just ask contestants to show paper with their forum name  and current date of recording. This shoukd take care of all the issues ( using older videos, using someone elses videos)

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I dont think someone doing something better has much bearing on someone else wanting to resubmit. After all people are going to do their best from the first submission,. This being said, though, one may want to rerecord and submit again, and i dont think there is anything wrong with that. I think until the submission oeriod ends a member should be able to resubmit his entry for whatever reason.

regarding the keyword at beginning, why dont we just ask contestants to show paper with their forum name  and current date of recording. This shoukd take care of all the issues ( using older videos, using someone elses videos)

Yeah, the paper with forum name + date would probably be enough. And to make editing "difficult" (although not entirely impossible for people with some video editing skills ;)), requiring the contestant to stay on screen (at least partially) throughout the video would also be good. Although, if there's a cameraman that does a slight error (wobbling camera and the contestant disappears from screen for a split second), use your common sense; if it seems clear that it was just the camera shaking and it's one continuous video, I think it's fair to accept it... common sense and all, I still don't think the really talented people have the need to start cheating here :P

Well if someone talented in video editing cheats and doesnt get caught , their talent should probably be recognized , and rewarded with the brand new inmotiin wheel anyway :) 

Not to complicate things, but ive just come uo with one more suggested condition - contestants face should be visible, unobstructed by helmet wind guards, etc. after all we dont want the same forum member submitting videos under different forum names lol

8 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Not to complicate things, but ive just come uo with one more suggested condition - contestants face should be visible, unobstructed by helmet wind guards, etc. after all we dont want the same forum member submitting videos under different forum names lol

Yes but if someone want to do something dangerous... For exemple do you want to tell to EUC extreme to ride without helmet ?

5 minutes ago, Hirsute said:

Yes but if someone want to do something dangerous... For exemple do you want to tell to EUC extreme to ride without helmet ?

Two options then. Either ride in helmet but no face guard so that face is still visible. Or open face guard before the trick, then close it and and do the trick

37 minutes ago, Cloud said:

See my earlier reply on this in the thread:

14 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Two options then. Either ride in helmet but no face guard so that face is still visible. Or open face guard before the trick, then close it and and do the trick

Without leaving the camera screen... we'll be watching you ;)  But seriously, if people really want to do dangerous tricks, I'd rather them wear appropriate safety gear. It's not like jumping through burning hoops is the requirement though, even jumping through "normal" hoops would be impressive in my books

Archived