V5F+ Weight Overload Warning

Rehab1

@Jason McNeil The lady inside my V5F+ just yelled at me "weight overload" and locked up at a 45 degree forward tilt. Not very nice as I only weigh 168 pounds. ☹️ I was practicing forward /reverse maneuvers for about 15 minutes. Ambient temp outside 75 degrees. Power remaining: 3 bars. Sorry for not converting as I am lazy ? I did a hard shut off with the on/off switch to reset but no result. The wheel was still powered up in a 45 degree tilt. I had to change the handle on/off power to off and then picked up the wheel and let it spin. It then reset. Any ideas? 

@Rehab1 do you mean short back and forth like in Jason's infrared camera video? If so, my guess would be you succeeded in overheating it so it protectively tilted and shut down. Did you have its app running and does that show mainboard temperature? It also may have been possibly coincidence what you did to recover from it - that may have possibly been the point it cooled enough?

Ye my friend v5f+ overheated the same way. Think he weights 130 ish. He waited about five min for it to cool off and was riding again but just forward this time.

I think @Rehab1 is saying he was simply practicing going forward then reversing not in partially in one spot in general.

@Keith @steve454 @vidoThanks! Yes practicing forward and reverse. Not short lengths like Jason's Infrared video, more like 5 -10 foot each way. The V5S+ program unfortunately does not show temperature. It happened twice within 2 minutes of each other. The first time it did correct on it's own but the second time I had to pick up the wheel and let it spin. It must have reset and then I could shut it off. I am going to get out my FLIR  and get some data.

@Rehab1 rocking back and forth is the easiest way to make the wheel overheat, as it happens during accelerations and braking, another good way to make it overheat is to stand still on a sloped surface.

my ks14 used to overheat every 5 minutes of riding in the summer. Dont worry about this, if this happens turn it off and wait a few minutes.

@Cloud That is good news! Thanks! I still want to take V5F's temperature before and after. Sorry but I am fresh out of reps. I owe you one:P

@Jason McNeil that is awesome news!! Be interested in seeing a comparison between your FLIR temperature reading and the V5F+ sensor. Interesting there is a hidden sensor inside the firmware and it is not currently functional.

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@Jason McNeil that is awesome news!! Be interested in seeing a comparison between your FLIR temperature reading and the V5F+ sensor. Interesting there is a hidden sensor inside the firmware and it is not currently functional.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was @Jason McNeil who is making them incorporate the temp. reading. He is excellent at pinpointing potential issues early on and getting the manufacturers to improve. More manufacturers need to listen to distributors like Jason if they want to get ahead of the competition.

@cloud Your are probably correct about  @Jason McNeilbeing the impetus behind the update and possibly, with his excellent customer service, will take it upon himself and visit each V5F+ owner at their home and personally install the update himself:D

12 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@cloud Your are probably correct about  @Jason McNeilbeing the impetus behind the update and possibly, with his excellent customer service, will take it upon himself and visit each V5F+ owner at their home and personally install the update himself:D

You are right, i am worried for the guy, he has all the traits of someone who would do just that :) we gotta make sure he doesnt overwork himself to the point that he cant continue doing what he is doing, or else we will have no super-distributor to look after us! @Jason McNeil actually helped me yet again yesterday with a recent issue i had with the CB. And half of the cause of the problem was my own negligence!!  He still didnt hesitate to send me a replacement. In terms of the customer service, he exceeds all possible expectations.

8 minutes ago, Cloud said:

You are right, i am worried for the guy, he has all the traits of someone who would do just that :) we gotta make sure he doesnt overwork himself to the point that he cant continue doing what he is doing, or else we will have no super-distributor to look after us! @Jason McNeil actually helped me yet again yesterday with a recent issue i had with the CB. And half of the cause of the problem was my own negligence!!  He still didnt hesitate to send me a replacement. In terms of the customer service, he exceeds all possible expectations.

It is a tough job juggling your own business trying to please everyone. Wow...he helped on a Sunday! So Awesome! So Cloud, you are adding to his work load on the weekend? Walk of Shame:D @Jason McNeil See...told you...everyone loves ya buddy! ;)

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

It is a tough job juggling your own business trying to please everyone. Wow...he helped on a Sunday! So Awesome! So Cloud, you are adding to his work load on the weekend? Walk of Shame:D @Jason McNeil See...told you...everyone loves ya buddy! ;)

He did. I didnt think he worked enough during the week so i decided to give him some work on weekend :) I called him on sunday and he talked to me for good 15 -20 minutes and then continued to follow up thru today. The problem i was having wasnt even remotely within his responsibility! It feels weird praising the guy continuously like that, but what can i do, he never ceases to amaze me! All i did was buy 1 wheel from him a year ago and he has already helped me with 3 wheels over and over and over again!

On 29 August 2016 at 11:25 AM, Rehab1 said:

It just seems somehow wrong that, after all the work that Jason has been putting in to both the V5F+ and the V8, that InMotion are also supplying to a competitor, Project 42, just a couple of miles down the road from Jason in London. I'm still hoping that Inmotion make enough improvements to the V8 that I'm compelled to buy it. As it is currently configured I cannot quite bring myself to push the button on the pre-order, but I am completely sure which supplier I'll be buying from ;-)

• 1 month later...

Hello there, 

I've encountered the same problem with my V5F+ that seems similar to what has been described here. Basically I was riding the wheel without any problems, but then something happened and now my wheel yells at me saying "overload, please get off'. I did a reset by holding the reset button, but it doesn't seem to work as before. Still yells at me the same warning after a 5 minute ride. I mean it starts fine, having no problem at all and after little while does that. 

Anyone? Help?

You might want to contact your dealer to see what they suggest.  It could be anything from a failing component out of spec on the control board to faulty cells in the battery not being able to carry the load or a dying BMS falsely signaling to the controller that the battery pack is being over-stressed.  

There appear to be some extra wires from the V5F+ battery pack.  Are those just for accessory power, or do they provide some communication from the BMS to controller board?

14 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

What a terribly engineered wheel!

Its not bad, considering my 100kg and the active way of riding, frequent accelerations and braking. It wouldnt be easy for a regular rider to make ks14 overheat that often. Besides the few holes i made in the top of the wheel seemed to have done the trick and this past summer was way better. Id say, regular, not heavy rider , doesnt have much to worry about u less going uphill a lot

15 hours ago, theNight said:

Hello there, 

I've encountered the same problem with my V5F+ that seems similar to what has been described here. Basically I was riding the wheel without any problems, but then something happened and now my wheel yells at me saying "overload, please get off'. I did a reset by holding the reset button, but it doesn't seem to work as before. Still yells at me the same warning after a 5 minute ride. I mean it starts fine, having no problem at all and after little while does that. 

Anyone? Help?

The problem I had with overheating was easliy resolved by letting the V5f+ cool down and to limit my excessive maneuvers.  At the time  of my overheat warning I was performing excessive forward/backward maneuvers for 20 minutes straight.  In my strong opinion the wheel did exactly what is was designed to do, command me to step off.

If I can ask, what type of activity were you doing at the time of the warning, and for how long? What was the ambient temperature outside at the time? I weigh in at 165 lbs so if I was heavier the warning would probably  have gone off much earlier than 20 minutes.

i now limit my aggressive back and forth riding. I have not had a problem in months!

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:22 AM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

There appear to be some extra wires from the V5F+ battery pack.  Are those just for accessory power, or do they provide some communication from the BMS to controller board?

They seems to be used only to "feed" the battery indicator - both during ride as well as charging. Wheels works the same way with the "AUX" lead unplugged but it doesn't show the battery level. (This is tested on V8 but I believe both battery packs are "identical" in the function.) I've not checked if the mobile app is still showing battery level so I'll need to test it next time I'll find the courage (and time) to slice the V8 opened.

@Rehab1 @vido Yup, I was practicing going backwards for a while and then the wheel started to talk to me and tilt back. I had to turn it off and leave it cooling for a bit. This never happens if I'm just going forward. But yea, if you go backwards and forward a lot in basically the same area, it will give you this issue.

1 hour ago, fearedbliss said:

@Rehab1 @vido Yup, I was practicing going backwards for a while and then the wheel started to talk to me and tilt back. I had to turn it off and leave it cooling for a bit. This never happens if I'm just going forward. But yea, if you go backwards and forward a lot in basically the same area, it will give you this issue.

Which wheel were you using. The V5F+ tips forward gently.

On 10/8/2016 at 2:47 PM, theNight said:

I've encountered the same problem with my V5F+ that seems similar to what has been described here. Basically I was riding the wheel without any problems, but then something happened and now my wheel yells at me saying "overload, please get off'. I did a reset by holding the reset button, but it doesn't seem to work as before

Yes the reset button did not work for me either. I had to pick the wheel up off the ground (not depicted in the video(and let it spin for a second or two until it honked at me (I can not think of another specific sound comparison:wacko:).  I could then reset.

@Rehab1V5F+. I believe I was the first person on the forums to buy one ;D. For me, I think I remember it tilting back as if it was looking at the sky. It's unridable under that scenario. I have to power off, wait for it to cool down for like 30 seconds, and then use it.

6 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

I'm not sure if the heat sink / cooling design is the same (or at least similar) as on V8 but if yes there is simple explanation why wheel overheats quickly while "idling" or doing quick and short changes of the direction. The heat sink fins are sticking on V8 towards the motor from the bottom of the enclosed CB and are parallel to ground so during normal ride they're efficiently cooled by passing air in the large gap between the inner side of the shell and spinning wheel / motor. If you don't supply enough of the fresh cool air via regular ride the temperature of the heat sink and in effect also rest of the CB increases after a while and can lead to overheating.

Archived