Keith

Survey on EUC Punctures  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a puncture on your EUC

• Never
    • Once
    • Twice
    • More than 2 times
  2. 2. How big an impact did it have? Multiple answer possible for multiple punctures.

• At or near home so no problem
    • I was still able to ride home
    • Couldn't ride it but a was able to push it home OK with the handle
    • Had to Carry it home
    • Had to get transport home
    • Got stuck in the middle of nowhere and had to walk miles (or km)
    • Never had a puncture
  3. 3. How hard was it to repair?

• No worst than a bicycle puncture
    • Fiddly but I was able to do a roadside repair
    • I could have repaired it roadside with the right tools
    • I was able to do it OK, but I wished it was a lot easier
    • Felt like I had to virtually turn the EUC into a kit to get to the wheel!
    • Had to get a professional to repair it.
    • Never had a puncture

I do get somewhat put off of doing very long rides in case I get a puncture, but am I worrying about nothing? In the 10 months I've had my EUC I've, personally, never had a puncture. Being over 60 I do always carry my free bus pass just in case ;-).

How often (if ever) do you get punctures and, if you have, how difficult were they to fix?

Hopefully this poll will help reveal whether I'm really worrying about nothing?

PS, Anyone know of a Kevlar liner or Kevlar lined tire in 14"and 16"?

The poll seems to require you to answer parts 2 & 3, even when you select "Never". Maybe add some options like "Not applicable" or "Never had a puncture" in those?

I've never had a puncture, although the outer tire is starting to show wear (ridden >1500km by me + however much Vee rode it before me).

1 minute ago, esaj said:

The poll seems to require you to answer parts 2 & 3, even when you select "Never". Maybe add some options like "Not applicable" or "Never had a puncture" in those?

I've never had a puncture, although the outer tire is starting to show wear (ridden >1500km by me + however much Vee rode it before me).

Yes even though I tested it in the test section, yesterday I didn't spot it until I tried to answer "Never" myself. I've added a never had a puncture answer to the other two questions. I'd also hoped to ask what make of wheel as well but 3 questions is the limit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25 August 2016 at 8:55 PM, Keith said:

PS, Anyone know of a Kevlar liner or Kevlar lined tire in 14"and 16"?

When I had to take the wheel apart for another reason I took advantage of the situation and replaced the default Kenda that 9b1 comes with with this:

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-big-apple-performance-16x2.00-wired-448784

it has "level 4 puncture protection", whatever that means in practice. At least Schwalbe has put in some effort regarding punctures, and I hoped it would provide a good mixture of safety, riding comfort and range, as I don't like to ride with a hard tyre. I did not try to measure the range before and after, so I have no evidence on whether the range part worked out, but it does feel nice. 

For my other 9b1 I recently got a bottle of slime, but have not yet gotten around to applying it: http://www.slime.com/us/products/bike/sealants/

The Big Apple has a great ride and is a very lightweight tire. However, I had problems with the sidewall getting torn when I rode on some gravel roads. I've been too lazy to contact Schwalbe to see if they'd replace it for free but now that you've reminded me I'll give it a try.

On 8/9/2016 at 9:20 PM, Skara said:

When I had to take the wheel apart for another reason I took advantage of the situation and replaced the default Kenda that 9b1 comes with with this:

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-big-apple-performance-16x2.00-wired-448784

it has "level 4 puncture protection", whatever that means in practice. At least Schwalbe has put in some effort regarding punctures, and I hoped it would provide a good mixture of safety, riding comfort and range, as I don't like to ride with a hard tyre. I did not try to measure the range before and after, so I have no evidence on whether the range part worked out, but it does feel nice. 

For my other 9b1 I recently got a bottle of slime, but have not yet gotten around to applying it: http://www.slime.com/us/products/bike/sealants/

anybody tried this

http://www.stopaflat.co/how-to-use.html

On 10 September 2016 at 5:03 PM, dmethvin said:

The Big Apple has a great ride and is a very lightweight tire. However, I had problems with the sidewall getting torn when I rode on some gravel roads. I've been too lazy to contact Schwalbe to see if they'd replace it for free but now that you've reminded me I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep an eye on it!

Maybe the manufacturer's pressure guidance assumes a BIcycle, which would halve the stress per tyre compared to a unicycle?

On 12 September 2016 at 8:02 PM, EricGhost said:

Looks a brilliant idea but, Unfortunately, spoiled for me by two things:

1. they have almost every size except 14".
  2. This statement: "Stop-a-Flat has been designed to be used across arange of light-weight applications and is ideal for, amongst other applications, children’s bikes,buggies, pushchairs and cycle trailers." I.e. it is only usable for low tyre pressure applications so my guess is it would be too soft for an EUC tyre.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished to repair my wheel (14' clone), but I find myself with a 13th Phillips screw that does not seem to fit anywhere, but now I worry if I forgot to put it back into place somewhere...

Should I ride my wheel or should i disassemble it again to check where I forgot this one ? Or is it that there are only 12 screws and this one came out of nowhere ?

Any advice ?

I have had one flat and a very long walk home carrying a heavy wheel.

A nice tip is to put slime in your tube. I have never had a puncture since. It won't stop a big hole but it will seal any pin hole punctures you may get while riding without even having to stop. You can pick it up at any bicycle shop. Most places will even put it in your tube for you if you ask nicely when you purchase it.

On 9/18/2016 at 8:16 AM, Keith said:

Looks a brilliant idea but

there must be a reason why non-airy tires never have caught on for the last 100-or-so years, even though over a billion(!) tires are produced every year nowadays.

• 8 months later...
14 minutes ago, Aslak Gronflaten said:

I put sealant in my tire after a puncture, which sealed it, but has now clogged the valve, so I can no longer inflate it. Any tips?

You should be able to buy a new valve and just replace it. Same process as when you removed the valve when adding the slime originally except you fit the new one.

18 minutes ago, Aslak Gronflaten said:

I put sealant in my tire after a puncture, which sealed it, but has now clogged the valve, so I can no longer inflate it. Any tips?

It would be nice to know what you used as well so the rest of us can avoid it?

it sounds like it was the type intended for emergency car tyre repairs, that seems to result in tyre and valve needing to be replaced afterwards, and you may not have removed the valve to use it, but @WARPed1701D is correct it can be removed see: 

don't forget to add your puncture to the survey at the top of this thread.

7 hours ago, Aslak Gronflaten said:

One of my valves got a little sticky, but I was able to loosen it eventually by pressing on the valve tip multiple times. Or buy another valve as @WARPed1701D said.

I only use Slime in my wheels.

7 hours ago, Aslak Gronflaten said:

Take the wheel to a tire shop, if the valve stem is easy to get to they would probably change the valve for you.

Strange enough I've never had puncture on my IPS and Gotway V2 for over 10000km including very hash terrain.
I've got two punctures when riding V3, one I was able to ride home and had it fixed in a tire shop. The other puncture was so big that I have to call a taxi home, but I fixed it myself. Later I changed the tire to a puncture-free one and no trouble since.
Four of us(V3 owners) changed to puncture-free tire, one changed to tubeless tire.
595f59c6b6abd_webwxgetmsgimg(23s).jpg.9871d3a23c43edbdf7b7b618e37f1c18.jpg

8 hours ago, zlymex said:

Strange enough I've never had puncture on my IPS and Gotway V2 for over 10000km including very hash terrain.
I've got two punctures when riding V3, one I was able to ride home and had it fixed in a tire shop. The other puncture was so big that I have to call a taxi home, but I fixed it myself. Later I changed the tire to a puncture-free one and no trouble since.
Four of us(V3 owners) changed to puncture-free tire, one changed to tubeless tire.
595f59c6b6abd_webwxgetmsgimg(23s).jpg.9871d3a23c43edbdf7b7b618e37f1c18.jpg

Can you please tell us more about these puncture free tires. Who makes them, where to buy, etc. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Can you please tell us more about these puncture free tires. Who makes them, where to buy, etc. Thanks.

One of my fellow started the group buy on taobao which I'm sure they are the same one as this:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.39.ebb2eb2paCfYw&id=520384635051

The maker is 正新(Zhengxin) and the brand is CST. They actually call this Anti-puncture tire that incorporate a special fiber layer(similar to Kevlar?). However, I cannot find similar one on aliexpress.com

TB26Qy0mpXXXXa.XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1965868315.jpg.6dec18861971a4eeea45d378dda19f76.jpg
TB2o6pPdNeJ.eBjy1zdXXXfmFXa_!!1965868315.jpg.cd37a558f71db961fefe96d213547035.jpg

1 hour ago, zlymex said:

One of my fellow started the group buy on taobao which I'm sure they are the same one as this:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.39.ebb2eb2paCfYw&id=520384635051

The maker is 正新(Zhengxin) and the brand is CST. They actually call this Anti-puncture tire that incorporate a special fiber layer(similar to Kevlar?). However, I cannot find similar one on aliexpress.com

TB26Qy0mpXXXXa.XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1965868315.jpg.6dec18861971a4eeea45d378dda19f76.jpg
TB2o6pPdNeJ.eBjy1zdXXXfmFXa_!!1965868315.jpg.cd37a558f71db961fefe96d213547035.jpg

On 06/07/2017 at 5:18 PM, Aslak Gronflaten said:

take out the inner part of the valve (you need a tool for this, it comes with some sealants which are applied after taking off this part of the valve), clean the valve, and put it back in.

Archived