Flir Heat Camera & Control-Board Temperature Testing

Jason McNeil

2 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Gearbest has some cheap Peltier coolers on sale if anyone wants to play around with them.

http://www.gearbest.com/development-boards/pp_142071.html

Not bad, although you can get them (TEC1-12706) from Aliexpress with free shipping for 1.50€ / piece (about US$1.69) ;)

Edit: About the TE* -markings, example for TEC1-12709 :

• The first two digits shall be always "TE"
  • The next digit shall be "C" or "S". "C" stands for standard size and "S" for small sized.
  • The following digit is a number and indicates the number of stages that the TEC has. In our example (and the vast majority of TECs) is a one-stage TEC
  • Right next comes a dash. After the dash, the 3 first digits indicates the number of couples that the TEC has inside. In our case it has 127 couples. If the couples are 2-digit, then the number has a leading zero, for example 062 for 62 couples.
  • Next comes two more numbers that indicate the rating current of operation for the Peltier. In our case this is 9 Amperes
  • Some times follows a "T" and three numbers. This indicates the maximum operating temperature for the TEC. For example, "T125" is 125°C rated.

http://www.pcbheaven.com/wikipages/The_Peltier_Thermo-Element/

I really wouldn't use a peltier, they are for cooling something well below ambient when you have a large heatsink that can cope with the large amount of heat the peltier itself creates in addition to what you are cooling. Heatpipes are a much better option for heatpumps. 

@Jason McNeil What FLIR model do you have?  I had an 'over weight' warning today on the V5F+  while riding forward/reverse at 5-10 foot lengths. Caught my attention! It locked out in a forward 45 degree tilt.I must have worked my wheel harder than you did during your test:P  I going to try and re-enact the scenario and take it's temperature. I have a FLIR TG165 that I originally bought for checking heat loss in my home.

Just so I calibrate my unit like yours did you use a emissivity rating of .950? Best we calibrate the same so there is quantifiable evidence based data. I would like to figure out exactly what temperature stopped my wheel.

Update: Is your emissivity rating different than .950?  I do not have a clear defined electrical component picture on my FLIR that you presented. Maybe your device is better quality!  After 15 minutes of going forward and reverse I could not get the wheel to shut down like before. This time I have a full battery where I had 3 bars before. I am sure performing this test outside makes a difference as well. 

v5f FLIR.gif

@Jason McNeil I found this article while researching  emissivity ratings:

Magnitude of Error
One of the most misunderstood concepts in thermography is the degree to which errors in emissivity settings (and errors in window transmissivity compensation) will affect temperature and ?T (difference in temperature) accuracy. As demonstrated by the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, the radiated infrared energy emitted by a target surface is exponentially related to the absolute temperature of that surface.

Therefore, as the temperature increases, radiant energy increases proportionally by the absolute temperature to the 4th power. Incorrect camera settings such as emissivity and infrared windowtransmission rates will result in incorrect temperature values. Furthermore, because the relationship is exponential, this error will worsen as the component increases in temperature. Consider the effect on ?T comparisons, which are by their nature a comparison between different temperatures. The resulting calculations are apt to be radically understated, which could easily lead thermographers to misdiagnose the severity of a fault.

@Jason McNeil Ok, I performed forward and reverse for 20 minutes and it warned me again of a weight overload and locked up  This time I had a full battery when I started. I dropped the emissivity rating on the FLIR to .250 this time for more sensitivity. My skin temperature recorded 42.7 degrees C with the device. At the time of the wheel locking up the V5S1 recorded at 52.9 degrees C. I then checked my battery level. It had 5 bars but on the Inmotion app it was at 0%. My mouth dropped! I rebooted and it registered again at 0%. On the 3rd reboot it was at 87%. ???

FLIR00012.gif

21 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Jason McNeil What FLIR model do you have?  

Have the Android micro-USB version. Resolution is pretty good, there's two different Apps that are loaded with features & best of all the hardware is cheap, under $200. 

16 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

had 5 bars but on the Inmotion app it was at 0%. My mouth dropped! I rebooted and it registered again at 0%.

That's peculiar, do you think it was connectivity issue? I'll see if I can recreate....

Archived