mounting bicycle lock to MiniPro

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

How about drilling a hole through one of the wheels or the base and threading a cable through... should not hurt a thing....??? 

:blink1: Sounds like a permanent immobilizing solution.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2017 at 10:48 PM, asiansensation78 said:

Hey guys, I made a quick video on how to install a Kensington Lock onto the Minipro:

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions :)

I've been wondering how to secure the MiniPro.

You have made this a doable project for me.  Thanks.

I will then be able to lock it for short periods, as needed.

Additionally, I'm attaching a Bluetooth Tile to each MiniPro to locate them if complete lost.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:54 PM, Rocky Romero said:

I've been wondering how to secure the MiniPro.

You have made this a doable project for me.  Thanks.

I will then be able to lock it for short periods, as needed.

Additionally, I'm attaching a Bluetooth Tile to each MiniPro to locate them if complete lost.

Tile doesn't work, they suck period. Do not waste your money. 

On 8/1/2017 at 2:14 AM, SegwayMiniPro said:

Tile doesn't work, they suck period. Do not waste your money. 

I ordered the combination lock for the MiniPro.

By securing this as instructed, lifting the MiniPro by the handle will no longer be an open issue.

Although it may mean not easily removing the steering bar.

Something to consider.

On 8/2/2017 at 1:12 PM, Rocky Romero said:

I ordered the combination lock for the MiniPro.

By securing this as instructed, lifting the MiniPro by the handle will no longer be an open issue.

Although it may mean not easily removing the steering bar.

Something to consider.

I downgraded to the Mini handle with the holes in the pads, I love it up through the pads and have no other problem then stupid people trying to balance while it's locked up.

47 minutes ago, SegwayMiniPro said:

I downgraded to the Mini handle with the holes in the pads, I love it up through the pads and have no other problem then stupid people trying to balance while it's locked up.

People balancing on your MiniPro while locked up?

That could be a problem waiting to happen.

How do you prevent that?

4 minutes ago, Rocky Romero said:

People balancing on your MiniPro while locked up?

That could be a problem waiting to happen.

How do you prevent that?

You can make spikes that are mounted to a fabric with Velcro attachments and mount the spikes on the footpads, works great.

another option is to get a cover or bag ... while locked up. AliExpress has some bags that cover most of the Mini when locked or transport.

7 hours ago, SegwayMiniPro said:

another option is to get a cover or bag ... while locked up. AliExpress has some bags that cover most of the Mini when locked or transport.

This is my preferred choice: to cover the MiniPro while cable locked.

I do have covers that I use to transport.

Out of sight, out of mind to those that are curious.

BTW, how well does the built in MiniPro lock work from the app?  It seems that it may cause confusion for someone trying to roll or pick it up in some way..

All this seems excessive except when I must leave the MinPro somewhere near an inconvenient plug charging the battery.

On 4/6/2017 at 5:48 AM, asiansensation78 said:

Hey guys, I made a quick video on how to install a Kensington Lock onto the Minipro:

Why don't you use a kensington with the pin lock inluded like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Combination-Ultra-Laptop-Lock/dp/B005NCO2EA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1502278398&sr=1-1&keywords=K64675EU

Are they less secure?

This way you could remove the bar too.

Maybe the pin is too short for fixin both parts?

21 minutes ago, capdcanoa said:

Why don't you use a kensington with the pin lock inluded like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Combination-Ultra-Laptop-Lock/dp/B005NCO2EA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1502278398&sr=1-1&keywords=K64675EU

Are they less secure?

This way you could remove the bar too.

Maybe the pin is too short for fixin both parts?

I see it is 6 mm thick, while yours is 10 mm, so yours is safer.

On 6/3/2017 at 10:48 PM, asiansensation78 said:

I viewed this video several times.  You made this look easy.

So, I bought the lock and have not drilled the 5/16" hole yet.

I thought that I could use the lock without drilling and something is blocking this.  The pin seems to go through and yet I'm unable to secure it.

Would it be correct to say that drilling the hole is absolutely needed to use this lock?

8 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

I viewed this video several times.  You made this look easy.

So, I bought the lock and have not drilled the 5/16" hole yet.

I thought that I could use the lock without drilling and something is blocking this.  The pin seems to go through and yet I'm unable to secure it.

Would it be correct to say that drilling the hole is absolutely needed to use this lock?

I checked mine yesterday and I don't have to do the hole neither. Mine has the hole in the bar and in its holder in the same place, so I can attach a kensington easily through this hole and lock both.

What I have realized too, is that if somebody want to steal it, only has to use an allen tool to dismount both nails under this tap.

Captura.JPG.f05ce53fa9c579d6fff4639c033c0c88.JPG

I think I'm going to remove the tap, and put something like hard bi-component epoxi, that gets hard as an stone when it gets dry since I don't expect to remove the bar holder never

I bought yestearday this kensington.

When I receive it, I will tell you if it suitable for the mini pro and fist in this hole.

On 8/10/2017 at 3:29 AM, capdcanoa said:

I think I'm going to remove the tap, and put something like hard bi-component epoxi, that gets hard as an stone when it gets dry since I don't expect to remove the bar holder never

unless you break the steering shaft and need to replace it.  Anyone that is going to steel it is most likely going to cut the cable or break the lock.  If it's going to be sitting in the same place multiple times for extended period you probably need a more advanced approach.  

Finally I think I have found a good option to lock the Mini Pro with a kensington while you can continue removin your bar.

I use the kensington I told several post above

https://www.kensington.com/us/us/v/7164/1686/combination-laptop-locks

I cost me 13 € in amazon.

I first try to insert it in the mini pro, but it doesn't work

then, I removed the silvered piece that holds the bar, and now it fits and locks both pieces strongly.

So I have decided I'm going to drill the silvered piece, just like you can see in the next picture (there is a circile that shows the drill I have to do). This way, I will be able to mount the holder, and use the kensington lock trought this hole to lock both pieces.

IMG_20170816_194901.thumb.jpg.af98bb586ac4dca0a2bb30007aa5316c.jpg

With different people having success with these T pin locks I bought one for a great price from Amazon Warehouse as they had a sale today with an extra 20% off.  I don't have any false sense that these are really secure, but it will give me a little piece of mind maybe when I have to leave it for a short time while hiking.  I need to retain the quick release, so I didn't want the style where I had to secure the lock stud.

It took me a while as I don't have a metal bit quite that large had to do some grinding and a slipped a few times leaving a couple scars.  Still i'm very happy as it fits like a glove, essentially no play.  I don't pretend these are secure locks, but if I need to leave it at a trail head for a little while it will probably be safe and it will let people know if has not been forgotten or just left there.I never use the electronic lock.

On 26/8/2017 at 3:27 AM, FreeRide said:

It took me a while as I don't have a metal bit quite that large had to do some grinding and a slipped a few times leaving a couple scars.  Still i'm very happy as it fits like a glove, essentially no play.  I don't pretend these are secure locks, but if I need to leave it at a trail head for a little while it will probably be safe and it will let people know if has not been forgotten or just left there.I never use the electronic lock.

Great. I haven't had time to make the hole with the drill yet, so I'm glad to see you did it and it works.

12 hours ago, capdcanoa said:

Great. I haven't had time to make the hole with the drill yet, so I'm glad to see you did it and it works.

Yup worked like a charm.  Your photos made me take the risk since Amazon had a warehouse sale and it only cost me $9.25.  It works nice as I didn't want to use the clicksafe style and have to remove the anchor to remove the control bar, that defeats the purpose of the quick release which I find very useful.  I was not worried about enough, nor do I trust these locks enough, to get the Ultra version.  The reduced weight of the standard version was more important to me, and the price in the end sealed it.  I'm very happy how it turned out, and it's always enjoyable to use the power tools (they sit idle too much these days). :) 

On 8/25/2017 at 8:27 PM, FreeRide said:

I don't pretend these are secure locks, but if I need to leave it at a trail head for a little while it will probably be safe and it will let people know if has not been forgotten or just left there.I never use the electronic lock.

It occurred to me that I could secure the bottom part while being charged until I return from the continuing trip with my other MiniPro.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:05 PM, Rocky Romero said:

It occurred to me that I could secure the bottom part while being charged until I return from the continuing trip with my other MiniPro.

You mean carry a complete second MiniPro less the knee controller, then rather than swap batteries, just secure one and swap the knee controller onto the second unit?  I think that would be too much weight to carry, but if you had a place to secure the first one where you could charge it also that might be a unique situation.  Note however you can charge these batteries outside of the MiniPro, so I think just carrying the battery makes more sense.  

I used my lock in the wild today, had it locked to a tree.  It worked well because in this case there was not a lot of good places to hide it.  I was carrying a second battery, that I didn't end up using which made my pack heavier than I wanted.  I should have looked harder for a place to hide the pack, but then you have to be sure you are going back the same way or it's very close to your starting point.  I try to do loops as much as possible, but here that often does not work out.

2 hours ago, FreeRide said:

You mean carry a complete second MiniPro less the knee controller, then rather than swap batteries, just secure one and swap the knee controller onto the second unit?  I think that would be too much weight to carry, but if you had a place to secure the first one where you could charge it also that might be a unique situation.  Note however you can charge these batteries outside of the MiniPro, so I think just carrying the battery makes more sense.  

Yes, you are right.

Carrying a secon MiniPro is heavy, even at 30 pounds.

I thought that I could possibly stagger batteries on my route that are charging, ready for my return trip.

I would need to lock a battery while charging.  Possibly put it in a lockable bag?

Archived