Inmotion V8, First 100km Impressions

Jason McNeil

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

More good news: getting the case off is not nearly as a laborious as I first supposed. Here it is in 'expert' hands :) 

OK - so it looks that after removing two small bolts below pedal the outer cover needs a slight rotation anticlockwise to release the latches ... Seems better than at first look though still not optimal for a "field" battery swap together with another screws or bolts holding the battery itself. Hopefully that's something which can be improved in the future re-iterations of the V8.

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Just measured, correct, 1.95. It looks like there's enough clearance for a 2.5" tire. 

More good news: getting the case off is not nearly as a laborious as I first supposed. Here it is in 'expert' hands :) 

wer

2.5" Tire ?.

That wheel is looking Really attractive now! Hope someone takes the time to try a 2.5" tire. Might be Another Selling Point.

I think a lot of potential buyers would prefer a plain black or white option with head and tail lights a la v5, why not?

I'd like to see a side by side size comparison with the handle latched down on the v5f+ and retracted on the V8, I noticed this was not among the pics, it would be a fair comparison!

How is the noise of the motor, compared to the v5f+ and the ks16, loudness / sound character? I can wait for a video but other 800w wheels seem noisy can you give any comment on this?

Great informative write up by the way!

@Jason McNeil Hi Jason, thanks for the reviews (this one and others as well). You are pretty well known on the forum here, but for those who are new here, it would be good to mention in any type of review that you post, that you are an EUC seller yourself. That way no one can claim you are disguising ads as reviews.

I tried to message you but could not. Is your inbox full?

2 hours ago, Shoe73 said:

@Jason McNeil Hi Jason, thanks for the reviews (this one and others as well). You are pretty well known on the forum here, but for those who are new here, it would be good to mention in any type of review that you post, that you are an EUC seller yourself. That way no one can claim you are disguising ads as reviews.

Well - @Jason McNeil's profile picture clearly show his (US) webshop logo so it's not really "clandestine" and as far as I've read any of Jason's threads or posts none of them IMO can be classified as hidden advertisement. Of course you could always make a forum rule that it's mandatory for distributors / resellers to explicitly identify themselves - be it by signature or some other way - if this would become an issue. I know that some other forums even have a specific forum user category for those.

48 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Yes. Ran it down to zero yesterday, achieved 20.5 miles (32.5km).

@Jason McNeil, that would be more than enough range for me but begs the question: "how did it perform on low battery and when it reached zero?".

2 hours ago, Keith said:

how did it perform on low battery and when it reached zero?

Inmotion's cut-off is 68v. It needs some more testing, but I think there's ample data that there's still quite a bit of Wh remaining in the tank at reported 0%. Maybe this excess can be converted in extended limp-home-mode.

But to answer the question, the Wheel is still very responsive & secure at 1%. It allows to cruise up to 25kph at 5%. If you push past the warnings, when it does reach 0%, the pedals tilt-back at 15° from zero. 

12 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Yes. Ran it down to zero yesterday, achieved 20.5 miles (32.5km).

Thanks Jason, and btw thank you for the early review!

I think we miss 2 variables to the equation: your weight ☺️, and your average speed. 

Any idea what else might explain the large discrepancy between claimed and actual range? 

8 hours ago, em1barns said:

I think we miss 2 variables to the equation: your weight ☺️, and your average speed. 
Any idea what else might explain the large discrepancy between claimed and actual range? 

My weight is 72kg, avg cruising speed is about 26kph, lots of changes in velocity, which effects the range. 32.5km is actually pretty decent. If we compare with the first batch of the KS14Cs with a 680Wh, the range was about the same at 30kph.

There's some information about the V8 release: 1) custom padding will be included as standard for all V8s, 2) Inmotion are also including protective vinyl wrap to protect the shell, 3) the battery connectors will be reduced from 3 to 2, simplifying the battery swap operation. 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjOXphenQ3Y

12 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

3) the battery connectors will be reduced from 3 to 2, simplifying the battery swap operation.

Can't really say I like this change :( The "time saving" will be minimal and the 7 pin plug and cable are much more likely to break or get damaged when storing and transporting the spare battery. Is the 7 pin cable the hard flat (plastic) ribbon type or flexible soft one (can't really say from that picture)? Either way it's most likely to save the cost rather then "simplify" battery swap. It will also complicate the charging of the of the spare / standalone battery pack without the wheel as you'd need to fiddle with non-standard 7 pin plug instead of using simple 2 pin one as it was before. Also the charging leads might be now insufficient to allow fast charging!  IMO bad change ...

If they wanted to really simplify the battery swap and most of all make it safe and impossible to damage it should have been done like on laptop batteries where you have fixed "blade" contact in the device and battery clips in on one side and fixed contacts slides over without any leads dangling around. At least the 5 + 2 / 7 pins should have been done that way (though that would make the stand alone battery charging even harder but nothing stops them to release a battery charging cradle to which the batter socket would pop and original wheel charger plugs in ;)). The 2 pin XT-60 may remain to avoid issues with high discharge currents (though even that could be incorporated the same way simply with larger pair of blade contacts). Common IM - this is not a rocket science! This "technology" is hundred years old ...

SUYIN_electronica_PR_17_Bild_01_Standard

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Jason, I'm 1.80m tall and weighing 92kg, they are undecided whether to buy a V5F+ rather than a new V8  (identical batteries). My requirement is to have a good autonomy than 30km, with 20km / h cruising speed (more than usually sufficient). What do you recommend? Based on your experience and your weight, in normal urban use, what is the maximum distance that you have traveled before have empty battery? thanks.

Archived