Inmotion V8, First 100km Impressions

Jason McNeil

Last Friday I swapped Wheels on my 24km round-trip daily commute to the preproduction V8, here my notes over this first 100km. Video coming in the next day or two...

- Power & Handling: this is where the V8 really shines! It feels super-responsive & powerful. Acceleration feels effortless smooth & minimal pedal flutter. When riding this thing, it feels like a thorough-breed waiting to get out of the gates. Out-of-the-box there's a -1° tilt-back angle set which is not to my liking, found the 3° (forward) to perfect. There have been +37° degree days here in Miami, I've experimented to see how high I could raise the temperature in the control-board from hard riding, but try as I might, unable to raise it more than 10° above ambient temperature.

- Tilt-back & lower-power handling: the tilt-back is progressive, it starts to be kick-in around the 25kph mark. To attain a 30kph cruising speed requires a fair amount of determination to push past the 7° incline. In low-battery mode, I noticed that if you try some hard(ish) acceleration there's an attention grabbing buzzer.  

- Pedals: these are identical to the V5F, 21cm x 12cm. Extremely comfortable, even more so than the V5F, because there is less inward tilt-angle than the V5. This is mainly noticeable over longer journeys, where I don't need to shift my feet around to get blood circulating. A consequence of the lower inward tilt, is that the outer edge is 2cm lower than the V5F, 11cm vs 13cm. With the unique oval design, 11cm should still be more than ample height to prevent pedal scrape on sharp turns.  

- Range: despite having the same battery pack, the range is definitely not as great as the V5F+. I have yet to do a data-logging session with it, but the possible factors are: 1) larger motor uses more power (obviously, the question is how much more!), 2) riding at higher speed has to fight wind resistance, 3) Aggressive riding. This last was certainly relevant over the past couple days: I find myself showing-off riding a lot harder both in acceleration & braking.  

- Comfort: the engineering compromises to install an integrated retractable are apparent with the V8: unlike the V5F, with it's wonderfully narrow-padded-contoured-edge, the leading edges on the V8 extend outward & are composed of hard PVC plastic, this is makes it quite uncomfortable to ride! Of course padding can be added, but since this area already extrudes further than other surfaces, such a solution is definitely undesirable. It's curious that despite how badly designed something is, humans are infinitely adaptable. Over the space of these four days testing, I'm finding that it's less annoying/painful. Changed my riding stance so there is less pressure with the sides. There are murmurings that this element might be changed in the production version, if so this would be wonderfulB) Edit 28 Aug: custom molded padding will be included as standard equipment. 

- App & the Light-Show: I'm not particularly enamoured by Inmotion's App as it is, there's certainly room for improvement. One  unique feature for the V8, is where you can display the lighting scheme to apply to the Wheel before actually loading it. After selecting, it downloads the scheme onto the Wheel. These programmable light-shows are up to 60KB in size, & interestingly, can take up to a minute to download to the Wheel, which seems a little slow for today's BT standards. 

It need hardly be said that the light-show also lights up the attention & envy of those primitive bipeds. I know I wrote about it in another thread, but the marketing strength of the multi-colour LEDs could be the single greatest selling point to the future success of this Wheel.

Conclusion: this Wheel has so much promise, on paper there was little to fault it with. As it is, it's still great & joy to ride, but if it is to be a truly great Wheel, a contender for the defacto choice for both novices & experienced riders, in my opinion, the outer shell needs a rethink to allow easier access to the battery bay [Edit 24 Aug: number of connectors has been reduced & getting access to the battery is not as problematic as first supposed] & most importantly it has to be comfortable! Yes, we can probably adapt, or padding added, but why come so far & compromise on comfort?  

Handle design for the V8 & V5. The V5 handle was very good, why not dispense with the internal handle & use the V5s as a bolt-on?  
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjN1dpSFkxQ

Front view of both Wheels
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjeVhfdy1UN

No brake LED strips on the V8, but at least the logo is illuminated
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjVkoxanRJQ

Measured 150mm width 
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjcEo3eVp0Y

Compares against 128mm on the V5F+ and padded surfaces as well!
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjb0o1d0xXN

Pedal length of 21cm
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjMzluZUUyR

12.3cm wide:
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjZ0RqOU5WM

View from the back: there are no screw holes to attach a mud-guard to, but I've used it in the rain on a couple occasions, and haven't really noticed dirt being flung up on the Wheel, so maybe it's not needed
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjODcyVmVrX

Same as above but looking directly down (those XT60 cables in the V5F+ are access to the datalogger)
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjZWRzNlcwS

Larger in Motion logo, no printed red stripe or padding for the V8:

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjamlBUlJ6a

Plenty of ground/tire clearance, there is little chance of rocks or foreign objects getting lodged within the shell
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjaWgteEl4W

Headlight brightness is the same for both models: throws a bright white light up to 20m ahead
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjU2x1VHJ0T

Rather look the discreet but futuristic looking blue LED strings of the V5F:
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjT1hraTJOc

Here you can see the width differences between the models, the V8 is fatter in the wrong areas
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjbEJicjJfR

Similar look: there's an additional red band on the V8. 
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjQ2VkeHFYZ

You can see the inward-tilt-angle of the pedals in this picture. In the V5F it's pretty pronounced at 15°

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjcnRvUGt4U

Tire valve access panel has been redesigned, it easier to open & lock than on the V5F:
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjbF9lQmFMV

Great review Jason! The leading edges that lack a smooth transition thus diminishing comfort could be an issue. Hopefully, like you alluded to, the issue might be addressed in the final version. I always wondered about the stature of the people they use to help develop the ergonomics of a new wheel. Are they tall or short, heavy or light, athletic or average build, knock kneed or bow legged.

Most men are bow legged and that contributes to the difference in the amount of space between the EUC shell and the rider's legs. Pneumatic pump up shin pads could be designed to solve the space problem allowing each rider to easily customize the shin pads to match the anatomical contour of his or her's legs.

@Cloud yep, I can see them perfectly.

@Jason McNeil Excellent and very honest review. Let us hope that Inmotion are receptive to all your feedback as this feels so close to being THE wheel of choice if they can just get the tweaks right.

I suspect the mudguard on the V5F is more about not getting the handle covered in dirt so may very well be needed if Inmotion have the sense to go back to the V5F design handle.

As for the lighting (again) personally I would enjoy all the lighting effects (I always build something outragous with LED strips and an Arduino at Christmas ;-) ) as long as they can also be turned off when unwanted attention would be a problem. Interestingly, I meet a group of friends one evening a week and this week decided to wheel instead of drive. The very first question they asked me was: "Has it got lights?" as my ride home would be in darkness. Interestingly they were particularly impressed by the brake light on my KS-14C. 

I also notice that new eBike rules came into force in the UK this spring, attempting (very badly IMHO) to harmonise with Europe. What they mostly seem to have succeeded in doing is prohibiting throttle only power (I.e. you must peddle) which as far as I can see does nothing more than prevent those with physical disabilities cycling or tricycling. Heaven help us with what they'll come up with after Brexit! However, the key thing is that there are clear rules on lighting (although only if used after dusk) So it is reasonably safe to assume, if EUC's ever gain acceptance they are going to need approved lights and reflectors; a Christmas tree on both sides isn't going to cut it: http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

@Jason McNeil This is similar to the pneumatic pump up pad I was talking about. I order 2 to try out. The hand air pump is detectable from the pad which measures 15 cm x 15 cm (6" x 6 ") I figure the pad can be attached to my V5F+ with velcro or double face tape. I might experiment with the NB as well. 

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@Jason McNeil This is similar to the pneumatic pump up pad I was talking about. I order 2 to try out. The hand air pump is detectable from the pad which measures 15 cm x 15 cm (6" x 6 ") I figure the pad can be attached to my V5F+ with velcro or double face tape. I might experiment with the NB as well. 

Just be careful where you carry those as they might be also used for less innocent purposes ;) 

@HEC I am sure if you clarified 'less innocent purposes' you might end up in the 'obscene' section of this forum:wacko: @esaj Is there an EUC obscene section on the forum? LOL

40 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@HEC I am sure if you clarified 'less innocent purposes' you might end up in the 'obscene' section of this forum:wacko: @esaj Is there an EUC obscene section on the forum? LOL

Well I'd not classify it as "obscene" exactly though in some countries / states carrying those around might get you in trouble (or at least under suspicion) similarly to carrying lock picks in tour pockets:

maxresdefault.jpg

12 hours ago, Keith said:

suspect the mudguard on the V5F is more about not getting the handle covered in dirt

It's quite effective at keeping the dirt off the shell. I noticed that on the V8, the plastic extends outwards slightly, this may be the reason why it's no longer necessary. 

12 hours ago, Keith said:

What they mostly seem to have succeeded in doing is prohibiting throttle only power (I.e. you must peddle) which as far as I can see does nothing more than prevent those with physical disabilities cycling or tricycling.

All the way back in 2010, I used to own a GoCycle. By holding the power button for two seconds enabled the eBike into US mode: this increased the speed by a couple kph & allowed it to be ridden without having to pedal. The point of this anecdote, is that it was technically compliant with the EU regulations, but everyone knew how to bypass them.

@HEC Yes sure...that is the product! My mind was in the gutter;) Sorry!

For $9 I thought it might be interesting to see if it works to adjust the thickness of the leg regions. They appear to blow up in a symmetrical outward fashion as oppose to a misshapen blob that would serve no purpose. If not I have a new career to help pay for my next wheel.

39 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Ok, I'll start using a proper image hosting service.

Jason, dont go by me. Seems like everyone else can see the pics. I can see them on my phone but not the ipad. Probably something wrong with my ipad settings

55 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@HEC Yes sure...that is the product! My mind was in the gutter;) Sorry!

For $9 I thought it might be interesting to see if it works to adjust the thickness of the leg regions. They appear to blow up in a symmetrical outward fashion as oppose to a misshapen blob that would serve no purpose. If not I have a new career to help pay for my next wheel.

I'd say some silicone / gelatine pads like in some "better" mouse pads or keyboard pads would be probably more suitable and cheaper solution. You can cut one keyboard pad in two halves and double-side tape or Velcro those on the lead edges.

x5cd7314c1c_41wATU135VL.jpg.pagespeed.ic

@HEC Great idea! Thanks!  I'm looking for adjustability in thickness but the pads I ordered might not be to comfortable so it might be prudent to use mouse/keyboard pads. I know what your thinking...to much padding..end result...

image.jpeg

That's good to hear.  I was wondering about that top edge whether it would possibly dig into the inner leg or not.  I thought it had a little inward curve near the top so maybe it wasn't a concern.  It's nice to see a factory padding option available rather than the old baby bumper padding and ghetto fixes out there with carpet underlay and foam/tape!  Such nice looking wheels shouldn't have ugly stuff stuck to them.

With the V5F+ add on trolley handle - I wonder if they could have integrated that into the shell design from the get go.  As it is, the existing plastic handle underneath is pretty redundant with the metal one clamped on top.  I wonder if eliminating the plastic handle altogether and just have an anterior reinforced metal hinge part in the shell.   The metal arm can then mount to that and close down to sit where the plastic handle is.  At the handle end, they could design some sort of latching mechanism so it's sturdy to carry.  Add in the motor cut off switch and maybe even brake lighting in the handle itself.

On 16/08/2016 at 1:15 PM, Jason McNeil said:

Handle design for the V8 & V5. The V5 handle was very good, why not dispense with the internal handle & use the V5s as a bolt-on?  
uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjN1dpSFkxQ

Hey @Jason McNeil - that pivoty curved handle (the one on the right). Would it fit onto / work with an IPS191 Lhotz wheel? 

On 8/15/2016 at 8:15 PM, Jason McNeil said:

but the marketing strength of the multi-colour LEDs could be the single greatest selling point to the future success of this Wheel.

Instead of just lights, I wish it could show English letters. That way companies can advertise their slogans...kind of like moving bill boards. Think about it. It's far cheaper to attract eyeballs with these moving messages. 

4 hours ago, HEC said:

Just one quick question @Jason McNeil - is the V8's tire also 1.95" as on V5?

Just measured, correct, 1.95. It looks like there's enough clearance for a 2.5" tire. 

More good news: getting the case off is not nearly as a laborious as I first supposed. Here it is in 'expert' hands :) 

wer

Archived